Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4032 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 33 of 63
01 November 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
I did log music. You can see how I was counting the time with Excel in my Twitter :) I divided the result by three in order not to exaggerate though
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 34 of 63
01 November 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
I logged music in one of the previous 6wcs. But only when I was trully listening, not just having it as a
background.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3845 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 35 of 63
01 November 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
I think I will log it divided by three unless I do a specific active work on it.

OysterPancake
United States
Joined 3494 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 36 of 63
01 November 2014 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
I'm not sure, but maybe since the challenge starts on November 1 and you were posting
this on October 31 the bot wasn't active yet? Unless it had started in your timezone,
then I'm not sure.

Well there were other people updating theirs, although it's true I did post that tweet on Oct 31st in my time zone.
But thennn I posted 2 new tweets to it and it was past midnight so those should've counted as November 1st.
I e-mailed the owner of it they told me to try posting a new tweet today and still no luck. Asked if I had protected tweets, which I found out I don't. So now I'm waiting to hear back from them later today to see what they think.

Serpent wrote:
OysterPancake posted this at 1:49am according to my timezone. By that point I had already submitted some time and it worked fine. AFAIU the 6wcbot counts on your honesty and doesn't check your timezone. It's even allowed to submit the next morning when the challenge ends, for example if you were reading in bed at midnight.

Yeah I saw other peoples posts going through when I did my tweets!
So I assumed it was fine to start even though it was 10:05pm Oct 31st my timezone. (I didn't look at the clock, I just saw 6-8 other people submitting.) It was easier to understand how it might've not worked if it was a timezone issue, but since I now have 3 tweets to the bot that should've counted as Nov 1st, I see how the timezone isn't my only problem.

Edit: Well I might've found out the issue, since my account is new I guess most of my posts aren't showing up in the search engine and therefore the bot can't see them? So I'll have to wait a few days before anything actually happens I guess. :/

Edited by OysterPancake on 01 November 2014 at 8:58pm

linguchan
United States
Joined 3478 days ago

5 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Japanese, Irish, French

Message 37 of 63
02 November 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Would anyone be able to tell me if pronunciation practice would count as language study, and if it should be logged? This may be a strange question, but I've run into some debate on this topic so I hoped to get the opinion of other challengers. By doing "pronunciation practice" I mean that I am isolating sentences out of the audio for my new Assimil lesson, and shadowing them repeatedly while I look at the sentence in the target language. I also record myself shadowing and play it back to try and improve my pronunciation. I don't count the time I spent editing the audio, just the time in which I am either speaking or listening to the target language. I've been told by a person who isn't taking part in the challenge that logging the time I spent on this activity will be cheating somehow, because any improvement I make doing so will be negligible in the long run. He says that Assimil will give me the same level of pronunciation if studied daily. He may be right, but I feel that the study is rewarding if only in the short term, and have noted the amount of time I've spent doing so on a spreadsheet for my own records. I just wanted to know if it would bother anyone if I logged my efforts as part of the challenge, because there don't seem to be any set rules as to what counts as study for me to turn to. (If there are rules as to what counts as study please let me know!)

OysterPancake
United States
Joined 3494 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 38 of 63
02 November 2014 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
linguchan wrote:
Would anyone be able to tell me if pronunciation practice would count as language study, and if it should be logged? This may be a strange question, but I've run into some debate on this topic so I hoped to get the opinion of other challengers. By doing "pronunciation practice" I mean that I am isolating sentences out of the audio for my new Assimil lesson, and shadowing them repeatedly while I look at the sentence in the target language. I also record myself shadowing and play it back to try and improve my pronunciation. I don't count the time I spent editing the audio, just the time in which I am either speaking or listening to the target language. I've been told by a person who isn't taking part in the challenge that logging the time I spent on this activity will be cheating somehow, because any improvement I make doing so will be negligible in the long run. He says that Assimil will give me the same level of pronunciation if studied daily. He may be right, but I feel that the study is rewarding if only in the short term, and have noted the amount of time I've spent doing so on a spreadsheet for my own records. I just wanted to know if it would bother anyone if I logged my efforts as part of the challenge, because there don't seem to be any set rules as to what counts as study for me to turn to. (If there are rules as to what counts as study please let me know!)

I don't know if my words mean much, but if it were me I would count it as practice.
I mean the challenge is about getting better at the language, and pronunciation I would say would definitely be something that would improve how easy it is for natives to understand you outloud.

The website states: You can do any activity - studying textbooks, doing Anki, Listening-Reading, even watching movies in your target language................ If you're doing something where the language is not your one and only focus, please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes, corresponding to the percentage of your attention that you gave to the target language.

To me your activity in relationship to those statements would mean you are actively studying in the language.
(If you're uncomfortable giving yourself full minutes for it, then I'd say you could safetly give yourself partial minutes for what you think you deserve.)

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5106 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 39 of 63
02 November 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
OysterPancake wrote:

... I did post that tweet on Oct 31st in my time zone.
... I assumed it was fine to start even though it was 10:05pm Oct 31st my timezone.

The 6WC does not start until 1st November 0:01 YOUR time (US time).
People in Asia start before you do.

smallwhite wrote:

Starts 1st November 00:01 your local time
Ends 12th December 23:59 your local time

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5106 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 40 of 63
02 November 2014 at 7:12am | IP Logged 
Time listening to music gets divided by three - that's if I'm paying full attention, right? If I'm gardening while listening to music, each gets half my attention, so 60 minutes of that gets divided by two (1/2 attention) then again by three (1/3 music) and ends up logged as 10 minutes, is that right?

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version