Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5945 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 20
29 October 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I’ve come to realise that learning a language, goes through three separate stages for me.

Foundation

This is the learning achieved by studying the language in a formal and informal way. It can consist of any method, and includes reading, listening, writing and speaking practice. The foundation stage is where the majority of my learning takes place. It’s not tied to a particular level or proficiency, and can easily apply to an A1 or C1 proficiency. It’s the stage I return to even after activation.

Activation

Activation only occurs when I’m surrounded by native speakers, and I’m required to use the language. It normally kicks in after three to four days in a native speaker environment. It doesn’t seem to matter how far I get in the foundation phase, it always takes a number of days before activation occurs. It occurs even if I’ve studied the language for a short time, but I’m in an immersive environment. Like the foundation phase, it’s not tied to a particular proficiency level, so can occur at A1 or even passive B2.

Fluency

This is how I describe constant activation through prolonged interaction with native speakers. It’s loosely connected to proficiency, but it can also occur as low as A2. It means fluidly expressing yourself in conversation, responding to questions and communicating without delays due to internal translation. It normally occurs after several months of constant interaction.

One of my biggest mistakes, or false expectations, was I’d achieve activation or fluency without native speaker engagement. I always assumed I was doing something wrong, and I was on the wrong path. Now I enjoy the foundation phase no matter what my level, and I’m willing to defer activation and fluency until my next immersive experience.

Edited by DaraghM on 29 October 2014 at 4:48pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 20
29 October 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I do think that nowadays the term is fairly established on HTLAL. My impression is that it possibly wasn't back when Prof Argüelles was an active member here; anyway, his usage seems to differ from the forum standard. It's like using extensive reading to mean a large amount of reading with a dictionary.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 11 of 20
30 October 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I do think that nowadays the term is fairly established on HTLAL. My impression is that it possibly wasn't back when Prof Argüelles was an active member here; anyway, his usage seems to differ from the forum standard.

I'm puzzled what the forum standard is. If you could clarify, I would appreciate it.

I tend to think of the word as I imagine Prof Arguelles used it. He's the first one I heard use it although he may not have coined the phrase.

I think of Activation as a process whereby the study centered, possibly introverted language learner breaks out of the cocoon of courses and other solo activities and starts using the language with other humans. The personalized experience with another human gives the language a new place in the heart for this type of student.

Edited by luke on 30 October 2014 at 10:44pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 20
30 October 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I meant that the default forum meaning seems to be learning to speak/write when you can already read/listen. ie most likely about someone who's not done shadowing or writing before.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 20
30 October 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Does activation have to involve native speakers? Business meetings involving people of different nationalities are often held in English (or a large regional language) and there might not be a native present.

Edited by beano on 30 October 2014 at 3:28pm

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5001 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 20
30 October 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
I also use it to mean learning how to use language (speaking or writing) that I already understand (listening or reading).

I don't think it necessarily involves native speakers: I've found self-talk and cloze deletion exercises to be useful, many people find drills helpful in FSI etc., and Serpent mentioned shadowing. For me, lots of conversation is important, but using other methods to fill in gaps, work on weak points, and speed up the process also has its value. It's a bit like the whole massive input "versus" studying debate: they complement each other.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4853 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 15 of 20
06 November 2014 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
The meaning attributed to Arguelles in the OP--learning to live in a language, requiring a year living in a place
where the language is spoken--does need a name. But, "activation" is a terrible name for that idea. Doing what the
OP describes would presuppose active abilities in the language. How else would you survive for a year and get the
kind of experience that would enable you to internalize the language so deeply?

Agreeing with Serpent, I use "activating a language" to mean learning/relearning to speak/write when previously one
could only read/listen. Or at least improving one's speaking/writing when they lag far behind reading/listening
ability.

Until this thread I thought everyone agreed that that's what activation meant.
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 16 of 20
06 November 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
The meaning attributed to Arguelles in the OP--learning to live in a language, requiring a year living in a place where the language is spoken--does need a name.

Professor Arguelles only did several weeks in Russia with Russian. He did about six hours a day of tutoring as well. He's said that he feels that four hours would have been plenty.

robarb wrote:
Doing what the OP describes would presuppose active abilities in the language.

Of course. That's why he uses "activation" rather than "active skills" or "active abilities" or "output".

robarb wrote:
I use "activating a language" to mean learning/relearning to speak/write when previously one could only read/listen. Or at least improving one's speaking/writing when they lag far behind reading/listening
ability.

I think that definition is still vague. The professor is an academic. As such, he may use certain words with specialized meanings. I believe this is one of them.

robarb wrote:
Until this thread I thought everyone agreed that that's what activation meant.

"Active" versus "passive" is generally understood around here. Some may argue that listening and reading are "active skills", whereas some limit "active" to mean speaking and writing. "Active listening" and "active reading" - fully engaging the text - have the modifier "active" because they are a level above what one may routinely do.

I don't recall anyone here using the words "activation" or "activate" before the professor. These words, I believe are distinct from "active skills", although they are related.

Edited by luke on 06 November 2014 at 10:33am

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version