12 messages over 2 pages: 1
Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3789 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 9 of 12
10 November 2014 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I've kept up with my studies so far. I have read through another chapter of German demystified, and I have
been making vocabulary lists. I love assimil but it's annoying to use as a sole source of vocab, because it can
take a while before ou learn a rather useful/important word. I'm using it gor vocab so that I learn the proper
pronunciation of each word, until I get the hang of pronunciation well enough, which is working well so far.
I haven't done much with assimil recently. I think I have done one lesson since my friends that were staying
with me left. I have always found it hard to get back into a routine after several days of interruption. I may as
well do a lesson right now so I don't lose my motivation.
Apart from that, I am fairly happy with my study. After only about 20 lessons of assimil, I am already able to
read certain things and get the gist of it.
I had a good experience the other day when I was reading my German friends Facebook post and the
comments, and I was able to understand some of them completely! They obviously weren't too complex, but
it was still a great confidence booster.
Thats one thing that I love about learning a language that I can already read the alphabet, even if I don't know
a word, I can still read it, unlike Japanese where even after several years of (lazy) study, I can't just pick up a
book and read it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3789 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 10 of 12
11 November 2014 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Finished lesson 20 of assimil tonight. I'll have a quick read through lesson 21, which is a grammar lesson and
since I have better sources of grammar, I don't really need to spend too much time on it.
I am really loving assimil, and I am pretty happy with myself for somewhat sticking to a schedule. I'm only 1/5
of the way through the book, but for someone as lazy as me, that is a great accomplishment!

My biggest problem at the moment is definitely sentence structure. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I
know that I will pick it up more with time, especially using assimil, but I am eager to start producing the
language, but since I don't have anyone to correct me, it could lead to recurring mistakes.

I am really loving that I get excited when I think about studying German, and that it's something I look forward
to each day.

Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3789 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 11 of 12
15 November 2014 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Nothing real exciting has happened recently. I've just been puttering along with assimil
and read through another chapter of demystified. I think i'm up to lesson 25 in assimil.
I have been very social lately so i've been getting distracted.

I did make a fun discovery today, when i noticed that some of my seasons of supernatural
have the option of German. I obviously didn't understand too much, but I did pick out
some things here and there.
I can't wait to start french at uni next year, since i have quite a few different tv
shows that have the option of french, such as smallville and game of thrones, and also
the majority of supernatural.

Jimjam
Australia
Joined 3789 days ago

19 posts - 22 votes

Message 12 of 12
01 December 2014 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
I haven't done much for German the last 2 weeks; I have gotten extremely sidetracked. At
least it was for a semi-reasonable reason which is I have been very sociable lately.
I got up to lesson 30 of assimil so i am still puttering along, just not as steadily as I
would like. Despite that, i'm still really happy with making it this far, and how much i
can understand already, which gives me further incentive to keep at it.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version