2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4511 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 25
07 November 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Success!

I always find it strange when people wish someone "success" in English, it sounds like
such a Dunglish thing to say to my ears. Dutch people do it all the time...

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4443 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 11 of 25
07 November 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
All the best with your project! Look forward to seeing your progress in Russian.

Allow me to correct one detail from your first post: Romanian is not a Slavic language, it belongs to the Romance family. Neighbouring Slavic languages have certainly made an impact on Romanian, in particular in vocabulary, but it is still easy to recogniase as a "cousin" of Italian, French and Spanish. So basically it would not have been a very useful introduction to Slavic languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4511 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 25
07 November 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Also, the more Slavic vocabulary you use, the more you sound like a Moldovan (not
necessarily from the country itself but also the northeastern part of the Romania).

Slavic languages have affected the pronunciation too.

Edited by tarvos on 07 November 2014 at 1:44pm

chiara-sai
Triglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3512 days ago

54 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 13 of 25
07 November 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
luke wrote:
Success!

I always find it strange when people wish someone "success" in English, it sounds like
such a Dunglish thing to say to my ears. Dutch people do it all the time...

It reminds me of Klingon! Qapla’!

Russian is certainly a better start-point than Romanian, especially since the latter isn’t even Slavic. Besides
it’s a big language and it probably has more resources than other Slavic languages.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3851 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 14 of 25
08 November 2014 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Thank you guys for the many comments and encouragements.
The idea behind Romanian was to have a gentle gateway between romances and Slavic
languages, with the first Slavic language behing Polish that has a good share of latin
cognates, and the arrival point being Russian. But then what if...

- ... I discover that Romanian (that isn't my favourite one in the list) is more
difficult than what I think and it does take much more than 3 months to understand it?
- ... I get stuck with a language in the list?
- ... I don't like a language or more in the list?
- ... I have different priorities and I have to stop the project before to arrive to
Russian?

So better start with Russian, I now think it will be easier than every other Slavic
language to start with at least for the number and quality of resources.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 25
08 November 2014 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Good reasoning! I've already told you how I tried to learn Yiddish to get more motivated for German (and you also considered switching to Afrikaans instead of Dutch).

It doesn't have to be a permanent decision though ;) Since you're excited about Russian, don't wait until you learn to understand two more languages first. But when you just want to play around, you can still do some Romanian. Don't aim for a full comprehension. If you learn a couple of Slavic words through Romanian, that's also great. And Romanian will be lots of fun if you do another Balkan language, whether Slavic or not. And again you don't need to do it from start to finish. Sounds like English and Dutch are the only languages you really need (and even Dutch can be avoided), the rest is just fun :-) If you learn random bits here and there, consider SRS'ing them in order not to forget.

Also, I've heard the advice that you should switch to a different activity when you still want to do just a little more. This way you'll be looking forward to your session next day. TBH I'm not doing it myself either, but there might be a more positive kind of burnout, when you enjoy something until you're fully sated, and your motivation decreases temporarily. You might find it beneficial.

Edited by Serpent on 08 November 2014 at 6:34am

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3851 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 16 of 25
08 November 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Nice post @Serpent!

Quote:
Good reasoning! I've already told you how I tried to learn Yiddish to get more
motivated for German (and you also considered switching to Afrikaans instead of Dutch).

True! I'm happy I didn't try to go through Afrikaans because in addition the problem I have
with Dutch sn't the grammar.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a permanent decision though ;) Since you're excited about
Russian, don't wait until you learn to understand two more languages first. But when you
just want to play around, you can still do some Romanian. Don't aim for a full
comprehension. If you learn a couple of Slavic words through Romanian, that's also great.
And Romanian will be lots of fun if you do another Balkan language, whether Slavic or not.
And again you don't need to do it from start to finish.

You know, your advice to read the blog entry "the best goal is no goal" has been very
beneficial for me, because the major issue with the goal system is the pressure we
automatically put on ourselves. If I make an overview of my Dutch learning adventure I can
see that I'm the only one of my friends that had the courage to put himself on this
daunting task. I have a series of different advantages:
- I can use it to communicate to people that does not know English
- I don't need an English menu in a restaurant
- I can read the signs
- I'm in a better position if I have to start to work in a company with many Dutch
employees
- I'm also the only one who dares to participate in activities where the spoken language is
Dutch (even if my comprehension is still weak).
- I can read and answer (with errors) to emails in Dutch

So I'm nowhere near to fluency but I gain already various advantages.
I will have to read and re-read your post many times in the future I think, just to
remember that even if I started this adventure and I invested on it, I don't have any
obligation and I don't have to do it if I don't enjoy it anymore. Good you wrote it in this
log :)

Quote:

Sounds like English and Dutch are the only languages you really need (and even Dutch can be
avoided), the rest is just fun :-)

Yes indeed!
It is for fun, even if sometimes I forget it and becomes almost a job :)
But it is for me that I'm doing it. It is because I like it and I feel truly enriched by
language learning, even if I will not master any language, Italian included :)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version