1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 17 of 45
30 November 2014 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Looking at the page source, I see that JavaScript is disabled:

<p>It seems JavaScript is disabled in your browser.</p>
<p>Please <a href="http://www.enable-javascript.com/">enable Javascript</a> to use Lingvist.</p>
That's probably in <noscript> tags, so unless you see that message displayed on the site you probably do have javascript enabled. I also only see texts with 0%, but i figured it was because something was getting blocked here in China. For example, i can't see the Dashboard page because it uses some stuff from Google.

Also, in those 6,000 words, is that separate words ("head words") or are conjugations and such included?
2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 18 of 45
30 November 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
luke wrote:
Looking at the page source, I see that JavaScript is disabled:

<p>It seems JavaScript is disabled in your browser.</p>

That's probably in <noscript> tags, so unless you see that message displayed on the site you probably do have javascript enabled.

You're right. That's in a <noscript> section.

Crush wrote:
I also only see texts with 0%, but i figured it was because something was getting blocked here in China. For example, i can't see the Dashboard page because it uses some stuff from Google.

Also, in those 6,000 words, is that separate words ("head words") or are conjugations and such included?

Based on the "Words Learned" list, it appears that conjugations and pluralizations are included. Mine says:

Words learned
1862 words in total (395 today)
And then there is a list of the words with how many times you've practiced them and when you last practiced them.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 19 of 45
01 December 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
The audio for the dialogues comes from http://www.frenchbyfrench.com/.

The literature audio comes from Librivox.

There are a lot of radio interviews. I wonder where they come from.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5660 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 20 of 45
01 December 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I just got a reply from one of the folks at Lingvist. They said they've had a few reports from folks about a problem with the Read/Listen statistics and that it should hopefully be cleared up within a few days. They also mentioned that there is a lot more planned for the Read and Listen sections, including incorporating the words seen in those sections into the SRS algorithm, though i can see how that might be more complicated than it sounds. But it still sounds really exciting!

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 21 of 45
05 December 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I just got a reply from one of the folks at Lingvist. They said they've had a few reports from folks about a problem with the Read/Listen statistics and that it should hopefully be cleared up within a few days.

The Read/Listen statistics started working here today.

Crush wrote:
They also mentioned that there is a lot more planned for the Read and Listen sections, including incorporating the words seen in those sections into the SRS algorithm, though i can see how that might be more complicated than it sounds. But it still sounds really exciting!

That would be really nice.

I've been using the site a lot these last 14 days. 27 hours, 9 minutes, 3263 words. That's 120 words per hour, which is way better than I've done with Anki.

I discovered that some of the reading dialogues are from http://www.podcastfrancaisfacile.com/. This podcast site also appears to have some nice videos that explain the dialogues and it's all in French, which is fantastic. They have workbook exercises, grammar and stuff too. My main goal is to find audio that directly supports the other material on The Lingvist.

I've spent more time with the listening and reading sections over the last couple of days in hope of finding "the missing link" between Memorize and the rest of the site. I didn't really expect Lingvist would lead me to a few other websites with free, full featured, French lessons.

I'm still a fan of the site. It has done good things for my attention to orthography. Memorize has definitely been a good supplement. It even has me puzzling about things like French morphology. I haven't read anything about it, but I'm starting to piece things together in a sort of intuitive way.

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 22 of 45
07 December 2014 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Tomorrow will be day four. Will the site will pull an Anki day four on me and start reviewing
words I got right from the start? That would be a very cruel trick.

It's day 17. There was no cruel review surprise on day 4 or 5 or 6 or 7. The review portion of my cards has
gone up to over half of those I see these last few days. I've kept over 90% correct on all but one day
(yesterday was 89%).

Currently at 3883 words in 36 hours and 38 minutes.

I also figured out a way the site could help the learner review difficult words... If, in addition to the percentage
of known words in the Read/Listen section, there was a column indicating how many times the words in each
article were seen in Memorize, it would automatically gives a weighting to words the learner had found
difficult. E.G., if you've had to do "flingue" thirty times, that word would have a heavier weight than "merci",
"bonjour" or "oui", which you got right the first time you ever saw them.

Edited by luke on 07 December 2014 at 12:28pm

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5660 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 23 of 45
07 December 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure it's really fair to compare it to Anki, though. In Anki you would've learned over 3000 distinct words (dictionary forms), whereas here many words are inflections of the dictionary form. It's still an impressive amount of words in under a month, though.

Btw, have you had the site randomly stop in the Memorize section? Sometimes i'll press enter to advance to the next word, the word disappears and i'm just left with a blank square in the middle of the sentence. To get the next sentence i have to refresh the page or switch to another section and back. They said they'd found the problem as well and are working on it, but it's made my reviews more of a pain and i haven't kept up with it so regularly the past few days.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7000 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 24 of 45
07 December 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Btw, have you had the site randomly stop in the Memorize section?

The most common problem I've had, and I have it at the moment is the audio in Memorize stops working. What's odd is that it might work for one sentence and not any other. When that particular sentence comes back, which could be ten or twenty tests later, the sound works for that sentence. I've been looking for a pattern. At one point I thought a circumflex on a vowel caused it, but that could have been a coincidence.

Another common issue I've seen, more so on my iPad is that the words I type stop showing up. The first letter may be there, and if I type the rest of the word, it will all pop on the screen when the field is full. I can't tell if that's the same problem you've seen.

I've taken to restarting my browser when these things happen. I've rebooted my iPad at times if things seem really flakey.

One other thing I noticed was that the keyboard doesn't work in feedback screen on my iPad. I tried it a few times. I think it's a bug. I've taken to submitting all my feedback from a PC.

P.S. I updated my "hard word" suggestion to be a count of the words in the article or audio that have been missed in Memorize. E.G. a reading may show 87% "known words" and 46 misses, meaning the "known words" in the reading have been missed 126 times. Hard words would automatically be more heavily weighted because they are missed more frequently. The idea behind this is to get exposure to the word in a context different than Memorize. That is, the learner could look for articles that have both a high percentage of known words and a large number of misses (at least, that's how I would use it). Another learner might use the same information to look for high percentage of known words and low misses.

Edited by luke on 07 December 2014 at 7:47pm

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version