Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5201 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 9 of 31
24 November 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
I use the ATracker app for iPhone which I like a lot.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4475 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 31
24 November 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I track stuff in a spreadsheet. I keep one sheet for each month. Each activity gets its
own entry and I use some colour coding too.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6719 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 31
25 November 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
My approach is nearly identical to Sabotai's:
15-minute chunk, round down, keeping track of my languages in my notebook where a vertical line equals 15 minutes (every fifth chunk is diagonal and crosses the previous four lines...), e.g.
Ga R |||| A || (Gaeilge - reading 60 min. "analysis" 30 min)

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3817 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 12 of 31
25 November 2014 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
Sprachprofi has a tracking spreadsheet downloadable from her blog
(here) which I have always admired from a
distance, but never been disciplined to use myself.

I tried Rescuetime for a while but found it didn't really work for me because I could only use it on my personal
computer and not my work one.

I would love something like the 6WC bot which could be used all year round, as for some reason I find it
much easier to tweet when I've done something than to log it on a spreadsheet. I guess it's because I can
access Twitter no matter which device I am using, which isn't the same for modifying a spreadsheet.

+1. I would love to have something similar to the 6WC Bot year around

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 13 of 31
27 November 2014 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Sorry about posting a topic and running off, but I've been doing 12-hour shifts at work these days and have only been home to sleep (that's a good thing, since I can sure use that sweet, sweet overtime money).

ladybenko wrote:
I'm doing the November 6 weeks challenge and there's a Twitter bot you tweet at to track your study time.

Writing a tweet to log your activity seems inconvenient. Also I'm allergic to Twitter.

Xenops wrote:
What's wrong with a pen and paper and a clock? That's how geniuses did it before the twentieth century.

Well, it seems sort of counterproductive to use a pen and paper to log "Spent two hours graphing the percentage of language learning time spent on Anki repetitions over the last three months".

Serpent wrote:
I like RescueTime though I don't use it anymore.

This does not seem to have an iOS app, which makes it inconvenient for me, but thanks for the tip!

sctroyenne wrote:
I use the ATracker app for iPhone which I like a lot.

Thank you! I'm gonna try this one.

Edited by Ari on 27 November 2014 at 6:21pm

Fenn
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4701 days ago

51 posts - 119 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 14 of 31
27 November 2014 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
I use an app called Toggl (no i didnt miss an e) Its simple, gives you 'titles' and logs
your time on each 'title'.

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3692 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 31
28 November 2014 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
I began using an app last year. I have used it nearly every day and track everything... all 24 hours.
Time Meter is fast and quick to access with
great searching and summarising capability. Much better suited than Excel because it is always at hand. I just re-read your post
and you said you're an iOS user. So I can't help you there!

However, I can offer you some generalised advice that directly applies to language learning:
----- Unless there are radical changes to your lifestyle, tracking your time for one week would be enough to extrapolate for
future weeks. My monthly totals are almost always the same as the weekly ones * 4.33.
----- I generally do about 12 distinct things every day and routine largely dictates about 6-8 of those. This goes to show how important
integrating language learning into your daily routine is.
----- And like tracking one's expenses for the first time, it provides a level of detail you could never had estimated by
yourself. The very act of tracking makes you very aware of where the hours go, even if you never looked at the records.

I recently decided to stop tracking for a week to make sure I hadn't developed some sort of unhealthy, compulsive habit but I
found that the tracking process helped me value the hours I had, held me accountable to my goals (quantitatively, at least), and
provided me with proof that I had done enough work (university at that point) and could take some much needed time off without
guilt. I can live just fine without it, but I do like looking at data and stats so the fact that it's data about me makes
it all the more interesting :)

Also, I spend at most 60-120 seconds doing all of this every day. It only takes a few short seconds whenever I start doing
something else. Even if I forget all day, it only takes a few minutes to reconstruct a rough estimate of the things I did.

Edited by epictetus on 28 November 2014 at 10:11am

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5046 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 16 of 31
28 November 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
epictetus wrote:
I began using an app last year. I have used it nearly every day and track everything... all 24 hours.

The thought of turning on and off a tracker everytime I change activity would drive me mental! For languages I don't have a time tracking problem. When I watch a movie, the length is already annotated for me. Anki keeps track of the time I spend and if I read I glance at the clock when I start and end. For the 6WC I twitter the bot and for the Super Challenge I twitter the bot. If I wasn't doing either of these I would simply ask myself if I've done something in each language today. I believe in KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) for everything.

I think people can get a bit to anal about this whole goal tracking nonsense. It is going to take you between 2-20 years to get to a decent level at a language, so what is the point of tracking 2 minutes over 20 years? Once you've developed the habit of doing some study everyday, the rest will take care of itself.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version