Canada
Joined 3692 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 31
28 November 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
I think people can get a bit to anal about this whole goal tracking nonsense. It is going to take you between 2-20 years to get to a
decent level at a language, so what is the point of tracking 2 minutes over 20 years? Once you've developed the habit of doing some study everyday,
the rest will take care of itself.

If you've developed the habit, then you're good to go. That's where I always falter. The extreme time tracking is borne out of both an interest in the
data itself (so the few seconds it takes to punch in an activity is trivial to me and a pain to you) and as a way of making sure I'm doing what I set
out to do. I don't do it because I'm a masochist and I certainly don't do it to try and impress people. It's just a tool/process that I found helpful
in university and a habit that has followed me through language learning and other interests.

I wouldn't track it for 20 years! That would be crazy. I usually delete/reset my stuff after a few months and start from scratch again. You could
apply your reasoning to people who count calories, who log their daily runs, and so on.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5046 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 18 of 31
28 November 2014 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
epictetus wrote:

I wouldn't track it for 20 years! That would be crazy. I usually delete/reset my stuff after a few months and start from scratch again. You could apply your reasoning to people who count calories, who log their daily runs, and so on.

Well that is true. I, for example tracked my commute times for about 90 days to see what my average travel time was. But I have an app called Tasker which wrote to a file each time my phone disconnected from my home wifi and connected to my work wifi (and viceversa) then I parsed the logfile. But because this logging was trivial to setup (about 30 minutes) and worked automatically I could use the data. My problem, I suppose, is because the on/off tracking thing is manual I would forget to do it, and then I'd be frustrated because the data wasn't accurate. When I was running I did apply my reasoning to it. I had a running schedule which increased x% per week until I got to where I needed to be to run a marathon. I wrote it on a calendar and if I was supposed to run 3 miles that day, that is what I did. I didn't bother tracking my gps location, or number of steps taken or anything. My system only required a couple of mapped out paths from my house for 2,3,5,7,10,15,20,25 mile runs. When I was young I did this with a car and a map. Now I use WalkJogRun but it works out the same.

Plan your route, schedule your session, do your session. This simple method works for my language learning too. But everyone has a different mentality and methodology for everything they do.
1 person has voted this message useful

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3692 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 

Message 19 of 31
28 November 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Once you've developed the habit of tracking things, it takes care of itself ;)

I may get bored of doing it and it's likely I won't continue past Christmas. Once you
settle into a daily routine the tracking becomes mostly useless because every
day/week/month is very similar to the ones that precede them. But I am still bouncing
around quite a bit following jobs, travelling, and moving to different cities and so on
so it helps give me some control in an otherwise chaotic time.

Any way, back to Platiquemos for me.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4449 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 20 of 31
28 November 2014 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
I used to do time logging at university, but nowadays I do not find it useful. The reason I did it back then was that I spent maybe eight to ten hours a day on languages (including studies of linguistical theory, phonetics, history of languages etc), and I would normally work on three or four languages in parallel, so I wanted to know how I distributed my time on the different languages and subjects throughout the week.

Today my only "serious" language study is Russian, for my other languages it is more about maintenance and slowly improving in vocabulary and outpot. Therefore, I really can't find a purpose for spending time on time tracking in a busy day. As long as I can squeeze in some time on intensive Russian study, and spend a few hours (it varies greatly) on reading in different languages every day, I am fine with that. I do not need to know whether I spent 35 minutes more or less on Russian this week compared to last week.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French

Message 21 of 31
28 November 2014 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:

The thought of turning on and off a tracker everytime I change activity would drive me mental!

Same, plus for me it would remind me too much of my job, where we have to use a time-tracking system like that for every task.

Having some sort of data on how many hours I've spent per language and per activity would be quite interesting just for curiosity's sake, but I'm not sure how it would actually help my language learning. To use the example from my job again, the tracked hours are used for billing and for performance tracking, comparing estimates to actia; time taken and so on; for languages, where progress isn't really quantifiable, I'm not sure what use the figures would be.

I have experimented with the Pomodoro technique in the past, but I've found that if I have enough motivation and enough free time then things tend to take care of themselves. Similarly, I did a half Super Challenge a couple of years ago (100 films), and I just found that I was tracking things that I would have done anyway. It was nice to know that I had watched that many films, but it didn't change my motivation or my progress.

Maybe the unquantifiable nature of language learning progress is the reason why so many people are keen on time-tracking, because it gives them something that they can measure and that helps with motivation? I don't feel the need for it, but if it helps you then that's great!

Edited by garyb on 28 November 2014 at 3:22pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 31
01 December 2014 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
I can't see the point in time tracking. If I study a Russian text while watching TV in German, which proportion of each hour should I then accord to each language? If I just watch TV without doing anything else should I then count 'short' hours because I'm lazy? Is an hour of wordlisting more worth than watching TV from Serbia? Is reading an article in Serbian more worth than listening? I probably need oral activities more, but I feel I learn more from studying a text, and in my opinion it would be unfair to accord the same amount of efficient study time to two activities when they clearly aren't equally efficient.

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3692 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 

Message 23 of 31
01 December 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I can't see the point in time tracking. If I study a Russian text
while watching TV in German, which proportion of each hour should I then accord to
each language? If I just watch TV without doing anything else should I then count
'short' hours because I'm lazy? Is an hour of wordlisting more worth than watching TV
from Serbia? Is reading an article in Serbian more worth than listening? I probably
need oral activities more, but I feel I learn more from studying a text, and in my
opinion it would be unfair to accord the same amount of efficient study time to
two activities when they clearly aren't equally efficient.

That is one of the main reasons I'll be giving it up soon. It doesn't really quantify
learning, only that you've committed hours to trying to do so. Trying to get
through a certain number of books or films would be less onerous. More of a macro
approach rather than micro. Now that I've developed better habits, I can give it up
entirely.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4118 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 24 of 31
01 December 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
My main reason for being so anal about the hours is that I want to accrue some data about my language learning. I want to know whether it's worth the
bother to study intensively, or whether it's better to spread out the learning. I want to know about what works for me by trial and error: to do that
I need to be able to compare data and not only to compare my own subjective memories which may be unreliable.

Right now I can only compare two languages and come to limited conclusions, but for future languages the stats will give me some empirical basis for
how I decide to study. With trial and error I can reflect on what seemed to produce better results in the long run. Also, I don't see any downside.
Counting the hours also keeps me consistent. Sometimes the counting is fuzzy, like when I sit at a table for two hours, not really understanding what
is said, and only occasionally talking, I may decide to count 2 hours of actual time as one hour of "Conversation." But most things I do are readily
quantifiable. I don't watch a lot of TV where there are long stretches of time without any language. When I do, I tend to only count half the time to
compensate for this.

My system used to be with tally-marks, counting the hours with each mark, but this had the effect of encouraging me to work at one task for one full
hour at a time, which I don't think is the best approach.

Instead I now vary my activities and work no longer than 15minutes on one activity, which keeps boredom at bay. I now log one hour as a small box
(each edge represents 15 minutes) with five such small boxes arranged symmetrically in order to neatly represent a five hour chunk, in the same way
tally marks represent five marks neatly.

This is an example from my current scriptorium volume, which currently logs almost 300 hours. You can see that I started the volume with tallies but
switched after about 30 hours.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version