Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 57 of 63
04 March 2015 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so the forum is "back to normal" and all my log posts done since the 25th are gone.

So.....I'm Rank 8 right now in the 6 Week Challenge--I think other people are fading out, I'm not getting better--but that's ok. Another 11 days and something like 100 hours of learning if I want to win. Not happening. But I have learned a lot during this push.

I think I like the idea of Benny Lewis' "mission" and after the Challenge is over I'm going to set up 1-, 2- or 3-week missions to accomplish various things. I seem to do well with that. I know the first one will to get me back speaking everyday again.
1 person has voted this message useful

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 

Message 58 of 63
09 March 2015 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Last week of 6 Week Challenge--still in 8th place.

I'm really pushing this week--want to finish adjective endings chapter in text and verbs through irregular present perfect in grammar book.

I picked up a Brothers Grimm kids book yesterday, opened it at random--and understood two sentences--didn't have to look up a single word.

Progress. :)

Edit: Major brick wall. The very next exercise asked me to take the adjective phrase and put it in the sentence, with the correct adjective endings. That included deciding whether the phrase was to be in nominative or accusative and that's what stopped me. Every sentence I couldn't figure out which it should be.

Back to the drawing board. :(

Edited by carlyd on 10 March 2015 at 7:57am

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 

Message 59 of 63
12 March 2015 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
In 6th place now in the 6WC--barely, and might not last. 3 days left.

If I move forward tomorrow, it will be Genitive Case in both the textbook and the grammar--either that or go back to the Verb Drills books and do more work on irregular past tense and Present Perfect.

Meh. It's starting to feel like actual work right now. :(

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3878 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 60 of 63
12 March 2015 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
carlyd wrote:
   The very next exercise asked me to take the adjective phrase and put it in the sentence, with the correct adjective endings. That included deciding whether the phrase was to be in nominative or accusative and that's what stopped me. Every sentence I couldn't figure out which it should be.

Could you give a couple of example exercises?

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 

Message 61 of 63
25 March 2015 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I didn't realize that I hadn't posted here in so long.

After the 6-Week Challenge, I've gone back to about an hour a day and am going back and forth between textbook--a different one, so a lot of review--and Verb Drills workbook. I'll probably stay with this until the next 6-Week Challenge.

I've faded a bit in my learn-all-the-things enthusiasm, but I've replaced it with a calm German-every-day habit. I guess the honeymoon is over. :)

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 

Message 62 of 63
10 July 2015 at 7:35am | IP Logged 
Ok, I've switched gears for the rest of the year. I worked diligently on German from December to mid-to late May, until I felt too burnt out to continue. And Spanish was calling my name.

Starting July, I'm back to working on Spanish every day, probably for 4 to 5 months (my language attention span it seems), then possibly a break again and start anew--but I don't know if it will be German or Spanish next time.

Whatever. I'm going to throw all my effort into Spanish and see if I can make some solid practice in these 4 months.

I'm using my Spanish Power binders--an excellent program, which I can't afford to officially finish, but I keep all my resources. Plus I'm using Spanish Now, Level 1 and 2, and will be using the Advanced Spanish Step by Step book I think.

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 

Message 63 of 63
22 July 2015 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Just a notice that my log is now only being updated on the new site. If things change in the future, I'll copy all my posts from there and bring them back to here.

Edit: When I posted this, it showed a big link to this site, don't know why.

Edited by carlyd on 22 July 2015 at 6:42pm

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version