Groupie
Australia
Joined 3553 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 27
10 February 2015 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
I've contacted user 'Ericounet', the legendary creator of the FSI site, and have linked him this thread. Let's see if he
is willing to take on the project of uploading the text and audio to his FSI website. Fingers crossed.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5234 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 10 of 27
10 February 2015 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
hi

I was "out" for some time ... working on my website and my home network (ipv6 etc ...), OCRing / formating Chinese FSI and DLI .. work in progress!(I'm learning Chinese at the moment :) )

I'll take a look this evening

Best regards

Eric

Edited by Ericounet on 10 February 2015 at 6:45am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5582 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 11 of 27
10 February 2015 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
We have to be careful here. I'm all for this work being made available; but given the
constant attacks (from companies that repackage and sell FSI courses) on all of the hosts
(past and present) of these courses, in spite of the great work done by people like
Demipuppet to include proof of their tapes they rip from, we don't want to risk giving
them ammunition and bringing the whole of this fantastic resource to an end by including
something that probably isn't public domain.

Edited by Random review on 10 February 2015 at 11:44am

Ericounet
France
Joined 5234 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 

Message 12 of 27
10 February 2015 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
hi,

I have an idea: I have a spare server with nothing on it (3€ / Month)

I have also names available (like yojik.org and yojik. fr)

We can post the material on it.

If no problem come out, we could put it on the main site.

Just an idea.

But it would be better to have a clear idea of the material: public domain or not;

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 27
10 February 2015 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
I appreciate everyone's concern about protecting the FSI/DLI site contents, both technically and legally. In one of my posts (see the quote, below) I suggested that it might be possible to obtain authorisation to post this material. That is, even though the text is posted on the ERIC website, I did NOT interpret this as an indication that the material was in the public domain. Furthermore, I have not yet attempted to obtain the authorisation to publish this material as it would have been rather pointless to do so had no one agreed to host it on a server.

Speakeasy wrote:
As a final matter, we are a talking here of an old, but rather well-designed language course, the text of which is freely available on the U.S. government's website ERIC (Education Resources Information Center) by permission of the authors, the E.I.L. (Experiment in International Living). My thoughts are that it is "possible" that E.I.L. might authorise the release of both the text and the audio to be hosted, for free, on a website such as the "FSI-Language-Courses.com" or the "JLU.wbtrain.com - /sumtotal/language/DLI basic courses/". However, before making such a request to E.I.L., I would like to know whether or not the administrators of the FSI or JLU/DLI websites would be willing to host this material. Would you know how to enter into communication with the administrators of these sites?

So then, the question arises: who should contact the E.I.L. in this regard? While I am willing to do, I cannot guarantee the results. Communicating with the two people that I identified above was a long, difficult process. As Neumanc reported, they did not even bother replying to his request.

On the positive side, in response to one of my questions, Ms. Beatriz Fantini confirmed to me that she had prepared the original text. Additionally, she is the wife of the author of the course, Mr. Alvino Fantini. On the negative side, even though Mr. Fantini is the author, and is a Director of E.I.L., it is possible that he might not have the rights to the intellectual property, which might have accrued to his employer, the E.I.L. So, gaining permission to host the material could be a long process!

I am quite willing to contact Ms. Beatriz Fantini. However, to be quite frank, I would be pleased if someone else were to step in and handle this; I am not at all versed in the kind of language that should be used in the written permission that would be required to protect the FSI/DLI websites.

Next step?

Edited by Speakeasy on 10 February 2015 at 3:48pm

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 14 of 27
11 February 2015 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
RANDOM REVIEW and ERICOUNET:
So as to maintain the momentum of this project, I am prepared to send an Email to Ms. Beatriz Fantini. My request would be worded as follows:

DRAFT TEXT: START
Members of the “How-To-Learn-Any-Language” forum have asked me to seek authorisation to host the audio recordings that accompany E.I.L. Italian course on a website that contains numerous other language courses from the 1960’s.

Access to this website is free-of-charge and the original creators of the materials and holders of the copyright to the materials do not receive compensation of any sort. Administrators of the website have the right to relocate, distribute, or publish the material in any other media of their choice and have no obligation to advise the the original creators of the materials and holders of the copyright to the materials.

With a view to obtaining authorisation to provide free access to the audio recordings, could you please forward this request to the appropriate person/persons at the E.I.L. (Experiment in International Living) and forward their reply to me? Thank you, kindly.
DRAFT TEXT:END

IS THIS OKAY?
I have no legal training whatsoever, I am not aware of the legal issues involved and I have never requested authorisation of this sort. Does the above text meet your requirements and, if not, would you prefer to (a) provide me with an alternative text, or (b) make the request for authorisation yourselves?

Ciao!

daristani
United States
Joined 6943 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 15 of 27
11 February 2015 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
A suggestion for your consideration:

Given the relative obscurity and current near-inavailability of the materials in question, they're likely to disappear almost entirely from human memory, and certainly from use, if the audio isn't somehow made more broadly available to people.

So I think that, in addition to seeking the permission, you might want to provide a bit of motivation to the creator(s) of the materials, both in terms of keeping their materials "alive" and in use and also aiding those learners of Italian who can't find similar materials for Italian which use this approach of audio drills.

You could express this in any way you like, but I think that something along the following lines might possibly garner a bit more favorable consideration:

"There are few similar materials for learners of Italian which provide the volume of audio drill materials that the E.I.L. materials offer. (Learners of Spanish, French, German, and other languages can find abundant such materials at the site in question, but students of Italian are at a disadvantage.) The E.I.L. Italian materials would thus be much appreciated by those learners, and their continued free availability there would give them substantially greater visibility and ensure their use by language learners for years to come."

You might also include the URL to this discussion post to illustrate the background to the request, and particularly the lengthy comments by neumanc which show how unique these materials are and why they would be so welcome to students of Italian.

Personally, I think it would be a real shame for these materials not to get the attention and the use they deserve, and I hope that the effort is successful. A lot of excellent language materials were produced in the past few decades, but because they haven't been kept on the "market", a good many have almost disappeared from memory. The books are often accessible, but the audio materials seem to be impossible to obtain in many cases. In any event, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the effort succeeds.     

Edited by daristani on 11 February 2015 at 9:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ericounet
France
Joined 5234 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 

Message 16 of 27
11 February 2015 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
hi

you could add that I (the yojik website) pay myself for the server without any ad or any other income (from the whole website), and that I manage the server, format some documents, correct the errors on my free time.

Th website is totally free and everybody can make a copy of the FSI/DLI material. (and it's strongly recommended to keep as many copies as possible)

Eric

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version