Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3852 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 17 of 27
12 February 2015 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Éric,

This is fantastic! Thank you so very much for taking the time to compose such an engaging text, the content of which I incorporated virtually unchanged into my request to Ms. Beatriz Fantini.

I just sent the Email. Or, for the film aficionados amongst the members of this forum, “one’s away, sir!” Now then, what was "away" and was the name of the film?

Edited by Speakeasy on 12 February 2015 at 3:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3852 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 18 of 27
12 February 2015 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
QUICK UPDATE:
I have just had quick exchange of Emails with Ms. Beatriz Fantini, who expressed her personal support and enthusiasm for this project. Also, she confirmed that her husband, who is the author of the E.I.L. Italian course, holds the copyright to these materials. She will review the request with him and respond next week.

ONE'S AWAY SIR!
What, you're all asleep out there? Okay, here's a hint: the film was released in 1965 and starred Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, James MacArthur, and Martin Balsam. Come on now, "one's away sir" is the punchline!

daristani
United States
Joined 6944 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 19 of 27
12 February 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your efforts, Speakeasy (and to everyone else who contributed to the message and the discussion). Italian learners will be in your debt!

(and the movie is "The Bedford Incident", but your "one" will hopefully have a more positive effect than in the movie...)

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 20 of 27
16 February 2015 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
thanks for your work : I'm ready to put the material on the website :)

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3852 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 21 of 27
20 February 2015 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
QUICK UPDATE:

I have just had a brief Email exchange with Ms.Fantini. Both she and her husband are quite occupied wiith other matters at the present and, hopefully, they will be in a position to review the proposal to post the E.I.L. Italian course on the website in a week or so.

Grazie mille to one and all for the support!

daristani
United States
Joined 6944 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 22 of 27
03 April 2015 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to nag, Speakeasy, has there been any recent progress toward posting the audio to the E.I.L. Italian course?

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3852 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 23 of 27
03 April 2015 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Hi Daristani,

Your question is quite legitimate and I don't take it as nagging. Since the very inception of this project, communications have not been easy. While Mrs. Fantini expressed initial interest and enthusiasm for this project, her husband, Mr. Fantini holds the rights. I received his latest Email on March 15th as follows:

Dear (my name removed):

Your emails (below) regarding the possibility of posting EIL Italian on various websites was forwarded to me by my wife. As you know, many years ago we had given permission to ERIC to post our materials in order to make them widely available for use. In fact, we developed 32 EIL language courses, all following the same format and accompanied by tapes. However, because these were produced on a very small budget not all of them are of equal quality.

I was the project director and editor of all the courses and over the years we have both sold and shared the materials free of charge with certain other not-for-profit agencies. When The Experiment Press was closed down, copyright for all of these materials were transfered to me.

In any case, I appreciate your suggestion and I will consider it after looking into the various websites available. This may take some time as I am currently engaged in a research project at the moment involving five countries -- which are both exciting and demanding. Thank you.

With best wishes,
Alvino
UNQUOTE

NEXT STEP
Frankly, from my perspective, approval to host the E.I.L. Italian materials was a simple "yes/no" proposition. The materials have fallen into disuse, the author has the rights to the materials, all of the arguments for posting the materials on the website have been advanced and they do not need to be restated. Thus, a decision should NOT "take some time" and I cannot understand the delay in the reply (yes/no). I have marked my calendar to send a gentle reminder to Mr. Fantini on April 15th, which would be one month after his last communication.

Patience is a virtue (apparently).

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3852 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 24 of 27
15 April 2015 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Mes chers amis,

I have just sent an Email to Mr. Fantini requesting that he consider hosting all 32 E.I.L. language courses on the FSI Languages website. In my Email, I pointed out that I could not speak on behalf of the administrators of, or contributors to, this website. Nonetheless, I surmised that there were two alternatives: either (a) integrate these materials directly into the FSI course files, as has been done for the DLI Headstart courses, or (b) create a separate website and provide a LINK to it as has been done for the DLI and Peace Corp materials.

Since the governing objective is to preserve these legacy materials and provide free public access to them, I suggested that he explore the possibility of hosting them on the Indiana University Celtie website. Mr. Fantini is a seasoned academic and he would know more about pursuing this than I would.

I also suggested that, IF the ERIC website could host and give free download access to the audio files that accompany the printed materials, then this too would represent an interesting possibility for preserving his full catalogue of language courses.

If anyone wishes to jump in and take over this project, I would be pleased to relinquish control.

Edited by Speakeasy on 15 April 2015 at 1:12am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version