Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 321 of 387
01 January 2015 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
IBEP wrote:
I would like to note that since no Team Indic turned out, I am gonna hop on to Team Rare with Kannada.

On the other hand: We have enough people. Right now, YnEoS, Anya, Luso, Sooniye, Jeffers, and me are signed up on the wiki page as learning a South Asian language. Would you guys be interested in forming a South Asian language team? God knows how neglected those languages are as L2s relative to their large L1 populations, especially on forums such as this. It would establish a nice precedent and give hope to future people interested in exploring the languages of the subcontinent.

That is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. However, there's a few things I'd like to point out:

1. Some of the people you mention haven't taken the step to join Team Rare up to this moment. That's already a lack of interest there.

2. You should not assume that everyone is going to stay interested and focused throughout the year. Do you want to be knocking at Team Rare's door in three months' time because there's just a couple of people left? I've seen it happen with easier languages.

3. You'd have to persuade a senior member to lead this new team, because you can't. I'm unavailable to lead it due to my commitment to Team Rare.

4. All this having been said, you're welcome to join us in Team Rare (that's why I sent you the PM). A few of us share your enthusiasm for the languages of the subcontinent and maybe it will be a first step for an autonomous team in 2016.

Edit: In case you're still wondering, all of the above can be summed up as "nice thought, but no thanks".

Edited by Luso on 01 January 2015 at 9:48pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4381 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 322 of 387
01 January 2015 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I have started a new log today, which is here.

Wessnosa
Diglot
Poland
Joined 3643 days ago

14 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 323 of 387
01 January 2015 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Hey, that's my first TAC, I'll need some help with writing the log properly,
here have a link

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 324 of 387
01 January 2015 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
The French team thread is now open. If you have signed up for the French team, please also sign up on the team thread, and for the first challenge include a list of your favourite French book, comic/BD, film, TV series, band/singer/musician, audiobook/podcast, textbook, audio learning resource, video learning resource, and web-based learning resource.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39852&PN=1&TPN=1
4 persons have voted this message useful

Wessnosa
Diglot
Poland
Joined 3643 days ago

14 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 325 of 387
01 January 2015 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Excuse me, but would it be possible to join another team during the year?
I'd like to start learning Finnish, but I don't want to learn 2 languages at the same times and I'd like join the team in June, July.

IBEP
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3429 days ago

19 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Kannada*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 326 of 387
01 January 2015 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
IBEP wrote:
I would like to note that since no Team Indic turned out, I am gonna hop on to Team
Rare with Kannada.

On the other hand: We have enough people. Right now, YnEoS, Anya, Luso, Sooniye, Jeffers, and me are signed up
on the wiki page as learning a South Asian language. Would you guys be interested in forming a South Asian
language team? God knows how neglected those languages are as L2s relative to their large L1 populations,
especially on forums such as this. It would establish a nice precedent and give hope to future people interested in
exploring the languages of the subcontinent.

That is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. However, there's a few things I'd like to point out:

1. Some of the people you mention haven't taken the step to join Team Rare up to this moment. That's already a
lack of interest there.

2. You should not assume that everyone is going to stay interested and focused throughout the year. Do you want
to be knocking at Team Rare's door in three months' time because there's just a couple of people left? I've seen it
happen with easier languages.

3. You'd have to persuade a senior member to lead this new team, because you can't. I'm unavailable to lead it due
to my commitment to Team Rare.

4. All this having been said, you're welcome to join us in Team Rare (that's why I sent you the PM). A few of us share
your enthusiasm for the languages of the subcontinent and maybe it will be a first step for an autonomous team in

Edit: In case you're still wondering, all of the above can be summed up as "nice thought, but no thanks".

Okay, more or less the objections I expected. That's fine, I'm more than happy to be part of Team Rare.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 327 of 387
02 January 2015 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Wessnosa wrote:
Excuse me, but would it be possible to join another team during the year?
I'd like to start learning Finnish, but I don't want to learn 2 languages at the same times and I'd like join the team in June, July.

Yes, Chung allows that at least. You can also join already now even though you'll only start in summer.
And yay Finnish!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4132 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 328 of 387
02 January 2015 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm still doing Italian and Esperanto in addition to French, but I've decided to change to Team Français (I signed up yesterday to Team Romance) because my focus all this year will be on active study of French and I'd rather be in a team dedicated entirely to that language.

I've already made the change over at Wikia, but it needs to be done here too. I'm sorry for being an undecisive pain in the butt and making you work double, Josquin! :(

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version