Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4323 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 25 of 28
14 February 2015 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
jbadg76421 wrote:

I've been trying to spend less time on courses and more time on native materials...I need to treat the language as a living thing, not an academic subject. It's a very motivating and very rewarding approach...There's a whole world of German literature and films to discover, and I feel like I could spend a lifetime learning this language.

Great! The more you read the more you'll understand. At some point you'll be able to just read without Anki and pick-up the language naturally.
1 person has voted this message useful

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French, Esperanto

Message 26 of 28
19 February 2015 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Assimil

Started the active wave (lesson 36) yesterday. Okay, this course is definitely not for the faint-hearted...the dialogues are getting longer (today's was 25 lines long), the vocabulary more difficult and when I went back to do lesson 1 for the active wave...Yikes. It's tough, you click on the microphone icon and have nothing but the French translation to go off of. Really puts you on the spot, but then again maybe that's a good thing. I think I did well, but I doubt I will have time to do both the passive and active wave in the same sitting...I'll continue to do the passive wave lessons daily, and the active wave I will slowly work on as time permits. So right now I'm on lesson 38 of the active wave, and I am halfway through lesson 2 of the passive.

I've also been reading, I finished Star Trek: Das Klingon Gamit and am currently trying to decide what book to start next...Sherlock Holmes sounds fun!

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 

Message 27 of 28
04 March 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Okay hopefully the forum's "reset" is over and none of this gets deleted...

German

Working on lesson 50 right now, this one was pretty tough. It had to due with legal issues (apparently some woman in Munich wanted to name her dog as her principal heir after her death, true story!) and so the sentences were pretty complex. I'm also trying to work on the "active phase", I'm currently doing lesson 4. I don't do the active phase everyday because it's just too much work and I don't want to burn out, especially with Assimil. I will say that, although this course has been invaluable and I would definitely recommend it, I'll be glad when it's over (just 3 more weeks to go). I feel like it's time to put the courses aside and start working on my actual skills, i.e. reading, speaking, writing, etc. To that end, I was very happy to learn that not only is Star Trek quite popular in Germany, but there are forums in German dedicated to it as well! Now if I can find a German-language forum for guitar players...

Since I started playing with Memrise for Irish (see below), I also downloaded an "intermediate" deck for German. After Assimil, I'd like to have a look at what's required to earn a B2 certificate for German, hopefully by the end of this year. I've never had certification as an actual goal for a language, but I think that with the work I've put in it would be well worth it.

I'm still reading and listening as much as possible. Yesterday I started re-watching Stromberg (the German The Office) for the first time in six months and I wanted to cry with joy...Six months ago I couldn't understand anything, and now I can follow along! And the show is acutally really funny! For me, after six months of study that marks a major milestone. That and the fact that I can read German novels with much more ease than in the beginning (I'm currently reading Star Trek: Der Entropie-Effekt).

Irish

Another labor of love, with very little practical use. I don't know if I have any Irish ancestory, so I can't claim Irish as a "heritage language". The only real reason I'm learning it is because it fascinates me and I think it's absolutely beautiful. I chose Linguaphone's Irish course since there's no Assimil Irish... I wanted something that: 1.) Had audio with the target language ONLY and 2.) Was concise, but at the same time thorough. . It will probably take many years to absorb all of the information in this book, but Irish and German are the only two languages I really want to master before I die. I'm going to try to make an anki deck of all of the vocabulary.
I've also been checking out some Irish language TV and radio...I'm already hooked on the soap Ros na Rún.

French

I'm a little concerned that I'm not using this language as much as I should, so in addition to reading more, I'm doing a "third wave" of Assimil, reviewing the lessons. I have to say, the last time I looked at this book was six months ago, and I'm very happy with the amound I've retained.

That's it for now!

Edited by jbadg76421 on 04 March 2015 at 6:07pm

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 

Message 28 of 28
10 March 2015 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Man, what a past few days...First there was the week that went missing, so I didn't post any updates to my log...Plus I've been trying to sort out my studies and narrow down my resources. So here goes...

German

I switched things up a bit, and by a bit I mean A LOT. It all started because I had a look at the previous version of Perfectionnement Allemand, I think it's from 1991, and it is clearly a superior course. The dialogues are much more interesting, and I was getting really fed up with the newer edition, so I dropped it. However, I'm not going to start Perfectionnement Allemand just yet...I'm still working on Schaum's Outline and also trying to get in as much native material as possible (reading, listening, etc.). I also decided that I wanted to do the advanced Assimils for French and Spanish, just to see if there's anything I'm missing. But I really don't want to fall into the trap of making German a subject to be studied, rather I'd like to start to view it as language to be spoken. Well, spoken and also read and heard!

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version