Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
aliyusuf
United States
Joined 3445 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 11
16 December 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm currently finishing up Michel Thomas Arabic and I want to continue. I'm pretty much
doing a lot of vocabulary right now. I'd like to follow up with the Arabic/ vocabulary
and practice speaking. I'm not really ready to express myself completely, and that's
something I'd like to work on. Anybody suggest any other material next thats
chronological for the Egyptian dialect? Thanks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3865 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 11
17 December 2014 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
I have not studied Arabic. However, as I have used a couple of Michel Thomas courses, I have a basic idea of what level you have achieved to date. You might wish to consider the following materials:

FSI Arabic Courses
While the FSI courses might be a little "dated", they often provide exercise material that is difficult to find elsewhere and, best of all, they're free!
FSI Courses.

ASSIMIL Arabic
Essentially, the Assimil method relies on the practice of very short dialogues and exercise sets that are presented in increasing order of difficulty. They are rich in vocabulary and colloquial expressions. Also, while the accompanying notes are oddly somewhat obtuse when it comes to explaining grammar, they can be refreshingly informative on matters of colloquial usage and culture. You will most definitely need a small, SIMPLE grammar to accompany these courses. For me, the Assimil dialogues have the effect, intended or otherwise, of pattern drills. Here is the Amazon List of Assimil Arabic courses.

LINGUAPHONE Arabic
I mention this course because the Linguaphone "Complete" courses contain a lot of material and, generally speaking, they are highly regarded. A caveat would be that the learning-curve can seem a little steep and the course notes can be a little difficult to understand. Thus, I would recommend that you use a small, SIMPLE grammar as a supplement to these courses. Presently, Linguaphone U.S.A. is offering much of its material at up to 70% off the regular prices. You could also consider their "refurbished" courses, which reresent excellent value. However, I would not recommend recommend paying the regular prices. Also, I cannot recommend anything other than the "Complete" courses.

LANGUAGE TRANSFER Arabic
What the heck, it's free: Language Transfer.

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Language Resource Centre
They have more courses than you can shake a stick at! University of Michigan: Language Resource Centre. If you check the "details" of each of their offerings, they explain the type of material offered along with the texts to which they are related.

UNIVERSITY OF INDIANA CELTIE
While you will have to acquire the textbooks on your own, you can download a great deal of free audio material. Celtie.

PIMSLEUR Arabic
If you have already completed the Michel Thomas course, I see no particular advantage to using the Pimsleur material, unless you can come up with a free copy.

EDIT: DLI Arabic
A portion of the DLI Egyptian, Syrian, and Iraqi Arabic courses are available on the
JLU archives website. You can also find some of the PDF files on the ERIC website. Here's the LINK to the DLI Arabic materials.

Viel glück!

Edited by Speakeasy on 18 December 2014 at 12:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7034 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 11
18 December 2014 at 5:05am | IP Logged 

@Speakeasy,

Which out of all your suggestions are Egyptian dialect?
You only mentioned DLI on your post.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3865 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 4 of 11
18 December 2014 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
@alang,

While I have not studied Arabic, I note the following:

FSI Arabic Courses
Although the material on the FSI Courses does not presently include a course on Egyptian Arabic, they do provide a comparison between Levantine and Egyptian which I trust would be helpful.

ASSIMIL Arabic
I have no idea which dialect Assimil teaches. However, were you to send an Email to Assimil I am sure that they would respond.

LANGUAGE TRANSFER Arabic
Ditto. Send Language Transfer an Email.

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN Language Resource Centre
My reading of the Univeristy of Michigan list of material is that they offer "Introduction to Egyptian Arabic" and "Comprehensive Study of Egyptian Arabic" as well as "Standard Arabic". Please consult the list.

UNIVERSITY OF INDIANA CELTIE
While I did not notice any specific course material on Egyptian Arabic on the Celtie, I would point out that a couple of speeches by former President Nasser have been posted.

DLI Arabic
The material on the
JLU Archives website is listed in alphabetical order. Accordingly, you will find "Egyptian Arabic" listed between "Dutch" and "Filipino". The course seems quite interesting.

OTHER FORUM MEMBERS?
I have not studied Arabic. Hopefully, other forum members will provide more useful suggestions concerning the study of this language including, perhaps, the differences between the various dialects. For example, would studying Assimil Arabic be "close enough" for a traveller to Egypt? I haven't the slightest idea and I cannot partake in such discussions.

Bonne chance!

Edited by Speakeasy on 18 December 2014 at 4:33pm

daristani
United States
Joined 6957 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 5 of 11
18 December 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Just some brief remarks on some of the materials cited above:

The Language Transfer Arabic course, available for free download at   http://www.languagetransfer.org/#!arabic-download/c18vo, is Egyptian Arabic. It's in a similar format to the Michel Thomas course, but uses only one "student" in addition to the instructor, rather than two, and seems to be very similar in approach to the Michel Thomas course. It would probably be useful to review/consolidate the material learned from Michel Thomas.

The Assimil Arabic courses (both old and new) are in a very formal Modern Standard Arabic.

The Michigan Egyptian Arabic courses, while a bit old, are quite extensive, consisting of over 1,500 pages in all.

There are also some newer sets of materials for Egyptian Arabic that are available on Amazon, such as "Kullu Tamam" and "Kallimni Arabi", as well as others. Searching under "Egyptian Arabic language" should bring up quite a range of materials to consider.

The DLI Egyptian materials, I think, presuppose at least some knowledge of standard Arabic; how useful they would be to someone without such a background, I don't know, but since they're free to download, they certainly deserve consideration:

https://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/DLI%20basic%20cour ses/Egyptian%20Arabic/

Edited by daristani on 18 December 2014 at 8:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7034 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 6 of 11
18 December 2014 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 

@Speakeasy,

I thought Egyptian Arabic was the most popular, but resource wise it is quite the search for
commercial products.

The only items I was aware of were the 1 Pimsleur comprehensive, Michel Thomas and Spoken
Egyptian Arabic by Samia Mehrez. It is nice to see there are more.

Thanks for posting the University of Michigan Language Resource Center.

caracao
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4933 days ago

53 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian

Message 7 of 11
28 December 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
You need to learn Modern Standard Arabic before. Not a good idea to start with spoken languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Talib
Diglot
United States
Joined 6474 days ago

171 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (classical)
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 8 of 11
06 January 2015 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
If you are also interested learning the Palestinian dialect, then take a look at 'Speaking Arabic' by J. Elihay.

Although I have only recently discovered that book, it is by far my favorite course for learning Colloquial Arabic.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version