ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 185 of 187
17 July 2015 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Elenia wrote:
I think the French people in London are usually there more permanently. I get the impression that there are pockets of people who have completed their degrees and so on, and have moved to London to find employment opportunities that aren't as easily available to them as in France. I believe that there is also a large pocket of francophones in South Kensington, but I don't know for sure. Of course, there are lots of students and tourists, too!

Hope you enjoy the bookshops! You've reminded me that I need to make a few pilgrimages myself.

Interesting. I suppose London is a place people tend to go for for longer-term work. Many of my Uni friends ended up moving there afterwards. If you're still around London when I'm visiting we could always go on a bookshop pilgrimage.

1e4e6: Thanks for all the info, I'll check the bookshops out if I have time. I'm not studying Spanish at the moment and if I were it would be easy enough to find places to speak it here, but nice to know about these areas and restaurants. In Edinburgh we have a Blackwells but their foreign language section is nothing special: just standard courses like Teach Yourself and beginner/intermediate textbooks, and the literature is mostly limited to the material in University courses. Nothing like the amazing one in Oxford. A couple of Waterstones too, same idea. I did pick up a discounted copy of the advanced Alter Ego book at Blackwells a couple of years ago, but I've never used it since French became a lower priority for me.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5017 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 186 of 187
17 July 2015 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
You might be interested in this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18234930

Or these bookstores.
http://www.frenchbookshop.com/
http://www.europeanbookshop.com/contact.php

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 187 of 187
31 July 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Just a note that, for the moment at least, I'm continuing my logging on how-to-learn-any-language.org
instead of on here. Easier interface, fewer forum bugs to deal with (like having to edit this post to make my link work correctly!), and more active community these days. I'm still checking both sites though.

Edited by garyb on 31 July 2015 at 11:12am

This discussion contains 187 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version