Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
53 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5068 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 41 of 53
06 March 2015 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Voted for it again. The fun you are having with Italian is an inspiration!
1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3905 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 42 of 53
08 March 2015 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Voted for it again. The fun you are having with Italian is an inspiration!

You're too kind! :)

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3905 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 

Message 43 of 53
08 March 2015 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
WEEK IN REVIEW: MARCH 2 - MARCH 8

Let the record state that at age of 30 years 6 months and 21 days, I have finally managed to produce at least one proper alveolar trill!

This would be such an excellent feat to celebrate, if it weren't for the fact that that is in fact the "correct" way to pronounce the letter R in my native language (but not my native dialect). At least now, if I learn to replicate the sound in more than one context, maybe my next meeting with a Swede abroad won't start with: "Hello, my name is Emma." "Hi, you're Scanian, aren't you?" Oh, and it'd be useful for Italian too, of course, if I ever decide to speak the language. ;)

GRAMMAR

I started reading the chapter on prepositions. I also listened to Radio Arlecchino (Episode 2). I don't feel like I learnt anything, but I suppose that verifying what you already think you know is useful too.

LO HOBBIT

I finised the third chapter. Haven't had any time for the subs2srs cards, though.

NATIVE MEDIA

This week I read:

4 Step fondamentali per trasformare i tuoi desideri in obiettivi raggiungibili — a 259 word blog post introducing a video.

Parmesan, Parmesao o Reggianito: I produttori mettono in mostra i falsi — a 516 word news article on the fake Parmesan found outside of the EU that fanno più danni del terremoto e della crisi economica. Cheese is serious business.

L’abitudine di essere cattivi — a 757 word blog post on body snark.

Chi ha paura dell’educazione alla diversità? — a 768 word blog post about fear of the "other".

Nuova strage di migranti in Sicilia, si ribalta barcone: dieci morti. Mille persone in arrivo sulle coste — a 381 word news article on illegal imigration.

Spaghetti alla chitarra — a 801 word blog post about a traditional method of making pasta at home.

I watched:

4 Step fondamentali per trasformare i tuoi desideri in obiettivi raggiungibili — a 7,5 minute video on settting goals. Mi piace questo video, ma qualche di queste idee sono un po' vicine a quelle che troverai nel libro "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". Comunque, le idee sono molto buone e c'è solo tanti modi differenti che puoi organizzare i tuoi obiettivi.

Femminismo in Italia Anni '60 e '70 — an 8 minute video on feminism in Italy.     

The fourth 40 minute lesson of Storia dell'Arte Greca e Romana, titled: L'orientalizzante II: Grecia e Italia. Finally got into some Etruscan metalware, probably my favourite topic when it comes to the archaeology of Italy!
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3905 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 

Message 44 of 53
15 March 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
WEEK IN REVIEW: MARCH 9 - MARCH 15

Managed to make an alveolar trill (rolling R) this week that didn't start with a ð-sound. Now I can go from a P, B or F, so I can now say prego, brutto and freddo in a vaguely Italian-sounding way.

I also learnt an awesome new word: bignami. It's apparently a publishing house that got started putting out small comprendia on a variety of topics, and now un bignami has become everyday speech for a condenced summary. I am probably a bit too thrilled about learning a word like this, but I can't help but to compare my Italian journey with my French journey... and my Italian journey has lasted for less than three months at this point, whereas I didn't learn any words like this until a good 15 years after my first French lesson!

Another expression that I really liked this week: stare per (to be about to), picked up from the dramatic original sentence "Stava per morire!" (She was about to die!).

The price for most awkward-looking word of the week goes to: sghignazzare (to sneer).

GRAMMAR

I read up on the difference between essere and stare. Otherwise things were quiet on the grammar front.

BUFFY L'AMMAZZAVAMPIRI

I watched two episodes. I've taken a fairly long break from the subs2srs cards, but I got back into it this week by making cards out of an episode that is a few episodes ahead, so that I can keep watching episodes I haven't studied without getting bored with my cards.

LO HOBBIT

Read half a chapter, as planned. No more, no less.

NATIVE MEDIA

I read:

Scandalo a Vicenza, l'ex pubblica un video hard in rete: costretta a cambiare cognome per non essere riconosciuta — 232 words about a legal case.

Yoga dopo la corsa — 917 words about doing yoga immediately after a run.

20 cose da fare subito per essere più felici – oltre a venire in ADF dal 16 al 22 marzo, ovvio! — 333 words on simple habits to improve happiness. I love how they translated "Eat a big breakfast, an average lunc & a tiny dinner" into Mangia una colazione da re, un pranzo da principe ed una cena da povero (Eat a king's breakfast, a prince's lunch, and a poor man's supper).

Cinque anni — 565 words about a personal experience of blogging about interior decorating.

Il bignami della corsa perfetta — 902 words about running.

I watched:

Minipratica Yoga dopo la corsa — the 6,5 minute video accompanying the article above about yoga.

The first three episodes of Il Tredicesimo Apostolo (50 + 55 + 55 min), a series that I was curious about before I even started learning Italian. The soundtrack screams The Da Vinci Code ripoff and the series itself is a kind of Dan Brown meets the X-Files: a Jesuit priest looks into paranormal phenomena for the Vatican with the help of a skeptic female psychologist. It was significantly more difficult to keep up with (never mind in depth understanding) than I am used to, but even if I got lost now and then I quickly found my place again. Short trailer (no spoilers) | Long English trailer (spoilers galore)

I cooked:

A pea soup I mentioned a few weeks ago. It's a repeat, though, so it doesn't count.

Tagliatelle fatte in casa (a mano), but instead of normal tagliatelle I made tagliatelle verde agli spinaci (green tagliatelle with spinach). I've made pasta by hand before, but only tortellini (filled pasta), so this was quite a different experience.

The pasta went into tagliatelle con gambretti, zucchine e zafferano, even though it's supposed to be made with linguine. I probably crossed some obscure Italian taboo that would horrify someone's nonna by mixing such a thin sauce with such a wide pasta (and cooks everywhere by mixing green pasta with a green vegetable). Italians, please let me know I do something food-wise that would give your nonna heart palpitations. I'll probably keep doing it behind closed doors, but what nonna doesn't know...

LANG-8:

For a moment, there, I was on top of the world:

Just kidding. About feeling like it meant something, not about the stats. I wrote a bit about la semaine de la langue française, which started yesterday:

L'ho incontrato in una giornata di sole in Normandia nel mese di giugno del 1992. Avevo 8 anni. Lui aveva lasciato la bocca di un panettiere. Eravamo amici dall'inizio. Si chiama la lingua francese.

Dal 14 fino al 21 marzo è la settimana della lingua francese. È la 20° volta. Questo è il motivo per cui scrivo oggi. Ho già scritto su come imparare la lingua francese sul mio blog svedese. Adesso voglio scrivere su di noi, il francese e me.

Come ho già detto, la prima volta che ho sentito la lingua francese era in vacanza in Normandia quando avevo 8 anni. Quando avevo 11 anni, mia madre mi ha iscritto ad un corso di francese. Ho imparato i testi di molte canzoni tradizionali ma non ho imparato il francese. Quando avevo 12 anni, ho iniziato a studiare il francese a scuola. Ho studiato il francese fino all'età di 16 anni. L'ho dimenticato per un po', ma poi l'ho ritrovato all'università. Ho iniziato leggere i libri di archeologia in francese. Adesso abito in Francia.

2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3905 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 

Message 45 of 53
22 March 2015 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
WEEK IN REVIEW: MARCH 16 - MARCH 21

I didn't feel well at all this week, so I took the week off from pretty much everything that wasn't work-related. No language study at all this week, unless you count lying in bed, drinking ginger/lemon tea under lots of blankets, with two dogs and some TV-series.

In this form I did do some Italian, though. I watched the next three episodes of Il Tredicesimo Apostolo (55 + 50 + 50 min). My listening comprehension goes kind of up and down depending on the topic covered and just how sick I'm feeling, but I can follow the story. It's not very efficient use of my time if I want to learn Italian presto, but I don't, and I want to know what happens next now, not some time in the future, so I don't care.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3905 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 

Message 46 of 53
29 March 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
WEEK IN REVIEW: MARCH 23 - MARCH 29

Free time has been in incredibly short supply this week, between some big work projects and pushing through some renovation and carpentry projects at home. Since Italian is my free time entertainment project, it is first to suffer. That's sad, because I love Italian and I'm really tempted to put in a lot of concentrated time and effort to "level up" a bit. I have to remind myself that my priorities are with the languages I need.

BUFFY L'AMMAZZAVAMPIRI

I haven't had any time to watch another episode, but I've really gotten back into the cards.

When I had up to five episodes worth of cards to review regularly, the cards stopped being fun, but now that I'm only doing one episode at a time, and one that is several episodes ahead at that, I'm having lots of fun with them.

NATIVE MEDIA

I watched:

Another five episodes of Il Tredicesimo Apostolo (circa 50 min each). Some episodes it feels like I grasp just about everything, although obviously without understanding the details. Other episodes I'll miss the main points of entire conversations.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5042 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 47 of 53
30 March 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Il Tredicesimo Apostolo is very good. You should try to get Tutti Pazzi per Amore, it is very funny.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 48 of 53
30 March 2015 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:

Parmesan, Parmesao o Reggianito: I produttori mettono in mostra i falsi — a 516 word news article on the fake Parmesan found outside of the EU that fanno più danni del terremoto e della crisi economica. Cheese is serious business.

Seems like you're reading quite a variety of stuff in Italian. Interesting that you mention this cheese story, as I saw a video about it while at an Italian friend's house a few weeks ago. Some great Emilia-Romagna accents in there!

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version