Jaynie
Denmark
Joined 5691 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Latin

Message 1 of 15
23 December 2014 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I have lived in Denmark for three years. I really hope to take my Danish to a higher level this year.

The number one thing that I need to improve is listening comprehension.

ETA: I added Latin as a microtag. I study Latin, but I am not sure how much I will write about that.

Edited by Jaynie on 24 December 2014 at 4:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4416 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 2 of 15
23 December 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Welcome aboard, team mate! I have signed up for Norwegian myself, but we still need a team leader to start
the team thread.

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 3 of 15
23 December 2014 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I look forward to following your progress. Velkommen!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5128 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 4 of 15
23 December 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the TAC!

As the Scandinavian team hasn’t a captain or a team thread yet, if you want to start discussing TAC’15 you’re welcome over at Team Asgard’s thread. Practically all those in Team Asgard who’ve stuck around all year long have enjoyed learning their Nordic TL so much, that they’ve signed up for more in 2015.

I hope your experience with the TAC and Danish will be as joyful and successful!

And I’m sure that living in Denmark offers you a unique opportunity to observe the people and the culture of the country, something that your teammates will certainly hear about with great pleasure!

Lycka till!

Jaynie
Denmark
Joined 5691 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 

Message 5 of 15
26 December 2014 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Today is anden juledag (2nd Christmas Day). This was a new holiday for me, but one that I have come to really enjoy. It is so relaxing to have such a quiet day after a busy Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I thought I would launch this log with a bit of self-assessment.

Overall, I think that I am somewhere in the B1 or B2 range. Given that I live here, I do indeed think that I should be further along than I am. But I will try not to dwell too much on the past and its whys-and-wherefores, and focus on moving forward. THIS is going to be my year for big leaps in progress. I know it!!!

To elaborate a bit on my situation, I live in a household of all English speakers. So no family members or housemates that are native speakers. I work from home, and my work does not involve the Danish language. But I do get time during my workday that I could use for study, and I plan to be diligent about that now. I have a good friend / walking partner who is a native speaker. She helps me tremendously. In fact, she says that I am better at Danish than I think I am. Hmmm...I am not so sure about that!

Current Skills:

I can do my shopping in Danish. I can manage restaurants in Danish. I can understand the announcements on the train. I can make appointments and reservations on the phone. My pronunciation must be reasonable - people do understand me. I rarely get Hvad siger du? any more.

I can read things like tourist websites, online shops and recipes.

Current Frustrations:

I can't read the literature that I want to read. Or watch the movies that interest me, unless Danish subtitles are available.

When two native speakers are talking to each other, I am usually completely lost.

I can't go to the theater and follow a play.

On my next post, I will mull over a plan for 2015.

Edited by Jaynie on 26 December 2014 at 10:45pm

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3678 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 6 of 15
28 December 2014 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Looking forward to follow your progress!

And I think you are wise to not feel bad that you don't know more than you do. From your list
of current skills and frustrations I think you are doing really well. And remember, you make
progress everyday!

Jaynie
Denmark
Joined 5691 days ago

51 posts - 62 votes 

Message 7 of 15
01 January 2015 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the kind words, Sooniye.

I found a podcast series today that I am excited about. It was created by the Dansk Arkitektur Center. They are called Podwalks, and they are architectural tours through Copenhagen. Many of the episodes are available in both Danish and English.

Podwalks

I listened to the first one (Broerne kommer) twice today while I was cleaning up my office. What I would like to do next is sit down and listen to it slowly to see if I can understand more. After that, I will listen to the English version to try to sort through the parts that I can't get. Then listen to the Danish version again. It is only eight minutes long, and a smidgen of it is in English - I would like to see if I can really get the whole thing.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 8 of 15
01 January 2015 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Wish you a successful year, Jaynie. Our fellow TACer daegga has a log with plenty of indications on Danish media, and you don't even have to worry about country restrictions. Looking forward to reading your experience on improving your listening comprehension of Danish, it is said to be quite challenging indeed.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version