Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Where to find REAL French conversation???

Tags: Resources | French
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
14 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Temple09
United Kingdom
Joined 5129 days ago

12 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 14
24 December 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Hello Everybody,

I am facing a problem that I am guessing a lot of intermediates (at the higher level) get - that I find it very difficult to find good places to come across examples of real spoken French.
I have French friends, and I regularly chat with them, but I find that they (and I) adjust their language slightly to a more understandable and more literal level to suit the listener. This may sound daft to say that one can't control it, but the analogy I use is the example of someone who is genuinely very funny, but if you suddenly order them to "Say something funny" they will always fail, because you can't be natural unless your circumstances allow it. When a foreign person is listening and frowning in confusion, you adjust your level without even thinking. The only reason I notice that this is the case is when another French/English speaker joins the conversation, and then the tone totally changes, but it then becomes impossible (because it is too rude) to keep stopping a natural conversation between friends in order to ask what they just said, every two seconds. So it is dangled in front of me, but I can't use it for learning how to be able to understand and improve it.
So, I need a source that I can listen to (or read) in the anonymous surroundings of my home, in my own free time, which will allow me to listen to French people chatting naturally.
The problem with radio, tv, websites etc is that they are either too high or too low in their level. Either they are scripted by scriptwriters, or they are very educated presenters/journalists who have their own specific style of presenting their thoughts to a large audience, or they are people like Nabilla Benattia ("Mais allo quoi!!?") whose language is too poor for my needs (sorry if that sounds snobbish, I just mean it is too full of faults for someone of my level, I would constantly be getting confused about whether they are saying it right or not).
I am looking for normal people having conversation with friends, familly, relaxed environments, but of course this is hard to find.
Does anyone know of any radio shows, tvs shows, or internet sites that gives a good example of genuine, relaxed chat, where people aren't trying to exaggerate their language? Ideally it would be something where French subtitles or a copy of what is being said can be found, but this is not vital.
Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5345 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 14
24 December 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Temple09 wrote:
I am facing a problem that I am guessing a lot of intermediates (at the higher level) get - that I find it very difficult to find good places to come across examples of real spoken French.

My favorite source has always been TV series, both native ones and dubbed (the French usually do an excellent job of dubbing). Of course, TV can be pretty hard. We have a list of French series and movies with accurate subtitles, which can be used in various ways. (We really ought to write a wiki article with advice on transcripts, watching DVD box sets straight through, subs2srs, and other TV-related techniques).

For conversational French in written form, try bandes dessinées (Izneo is a good source). For the informal register in written form, try humor sites like VDM or Topito, as well as the occasional highly colloquial blogs like girls and geeks (sometimes N-entirely-SFW).

There's a lot of stuff out there if you look around and make creative use of it. You don't need perfect resources—you only need good enough resources to get out of the awkward intermediate phases.

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3905 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 3 of 14
24 December 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
You could maybe try series such as "H", which I find a good entertainment, but I don't
know if it fits your level...

Pierre-Emmanuel
Diglot
Canada
learnicelandicnow.wo
Joined 3720 days ago

7 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Icelandic

Message 4 of 14
25 December 2014 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
You could have a look at frenchlingq.com

Edited by Pierre-Emmanuel on 25 December 2014 at 4:55am

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4478 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 5 of 14
25 December 2014 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Try radio shows, preferably humorous ones, with a larger cast.

The "problem" with more "serious" shows that usually have two or three people (one host plus one or two guests) is that the language tends to be more measured, slower, and listener-friendly.

But if you listen to something like La bande originale the dialogue will be significantly faster, less linear, and with more sidepaths and random remarks, like conversations between "normal" people. Even though these are mostly people used to addressing a large audience, I find that the "group effect" causes them to adopt a style of conversation that is less "interviewy" and more like real life.

If you want lots of "street" language at a quick clip, you could try something like Cauet. Of course if you are like me you will need to take it in small doses.

Edited by tastyonions on 25 December 2014 at 11:26am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5243 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 6 of 14
25 December 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I highly recommend www.fluentfrenchnow.com that has a very unique feature of video excerpts with
transcription, translation, and best of all, a technical description from a linguist's perspective of what is going
on.

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5896 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 7 of 14
25 December 2014 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Are there any high profile French Youtube personalities, especially video game related, analogous to TotalBiscuit, JonTron, Pewdiepie, AVGN, etc.?

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5146 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 8 of 14
16 January 2015 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
try this:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpecialeSecretStory3/videos

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version