Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 25 of 91
06 January 2015 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
If the word is made up of kanji I already know, then I can and do guess the meaning, but this doesn't help with pronunciation and it doesn't help with kanji I don't know. So depending on the density of unknown words it doesn't have to stop me enjoying the plot, but it will impede my ability to learn new vocabulary properly.

Really, the solution is to do what I would do in any language, and try and pick a book where I know enough words that I can read extensively, but also continue further study of kanji-based vocabulary on the side to help make up some of the gaps I can't completely fill by extensive reading alone.
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 26 of 91
06 January 2015 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
It seems that Das Erste Mediathek has now followed the example of most of the rest of the world and applied region locking to a lot of the content. I tried a number of different shows and films, and all were locked. So I guess that's no more Tatort for me. Unless I emigrate.

Shame.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4461 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 27 of 91
06 January 2015 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
It seems that Das Erste Mediathek has now followed the example of most of the rest of the world and applied region locking to a lot of the content.
I tried a number of different shows and films, and
all were locked. So I guess that's no more Tatort for me. Unless I emigrate.

Shame.

First one I picked at random just works:

here.

A few clicks later and I cannot find any content that is blocked.

It does look like some screen or other flicks up for a fraction of a second, then the content starts.

I'm running Linux Mint with a hosts file from http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/.

Edited by dampingwire on 07 January 2015 at 1:17am

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 28 of 91
07 January 2015 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
I guess you got lucky!

There is still some content available outside Germany but a lot of the films and dramas have
been locked down, with a note saying they are only available in Germany for copyright
reasons.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 29 of 91
08 January 2015 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Hi G-bod! あけおめ! 今年は二人とも読もうと 思ってるみたいので お互いに頑張ろうよ。 大人向けの本は 難しいなのは 俺もそう思うんだけど中身は 明らかに面白いじゃ
ないか。;)
まあ、とにかく、頑張ってね!
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 30 of 91
08 January 2015 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
あけおめ yuhakko! yuhakkoが言った通り 大人向けの本を 読んだほうが面白いと 思う・・・でも 難しいよ!

And I've had another slightly language-related disaster, as my Galaxy S3 has decided to give up on being a smartphone and would prefer to be an expensive blue brick, which leaves me in a big quandary about what to replace it with. Especially since a little bit of desktop research suggests that later versions of Android won't let you use More Locale 2 without rooting, which I really don't want to have to do. I've already got one expensive brick, I don't want to risk another. More Locale 2 was the only work around I could find to the issue of Japanese character fonts not being used by default. I could always waste a lot of money on an iPhone, but there are plenty of things about iPhones that are not language related but do put me off. Or I could just give up on using a smartphone to assist with Japanese altogether.

I'm not happy.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4428 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 31 of 91
09 January 2015 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure I get it fully but if you're talking about being able to read Japanese
characters or even write in it, the next gens work as well without this software... If
you're talking about putting the interface in Japanese though, indeed it may not be
possible. But then again, you can also import the phone you want from Japan ;) I imported
my phone from HongKong and I can put my phone in Japanese without installing anything.
Don't worry, be happy; there are many ways to find something better than the S3 (I had it
before and am very happy I changed (let's face it, the battery was terrible: 3h30 max for
me at the end)

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 32 of 91
09 January 2015 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Every Android device I've tried out in the UK defaults to Chinese character sets, so characters like 真 or 直 do not look like they should for Japanese text. Since kanji is already my big stumbling block, a combination of misrepresented kanji characters in my Anki review deck and electronic dictionary is just going to make things a lot harder for me.

I'm really not keen on the idea of importing a phone from abroad and truthfully, I don't want to spend too much money either.

Somehow my phone ended up on the floor and full of water and I have no idea how it happened. There was only me and my husband in the house and he insists he doesn't know either. So I'm pretty angry about it already. The fact that I don't have the time to spend doing lots of research for a replacement solution also makes me angry. Plus we don't have any other spare handsets in the house that will take a microsim, so I can't even do basic stuff like phoning people while I decide on a replacement. So that's three times angry!

Grrr!

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version