United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 9 of 91
31 December 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
A note on resources

Something about New Year's Eve makes me feel like doing a bit of housekeeping.

I started with tidying up my Anki decks and have finally combined all my current Japanese decks into one single deck. I think the only reason I ended up having separate decks for different resources was habit, however I've been using just one deck for German and it's working really well. I transitioned using a custom study deck to mix up all the different Japanese decks into one review session and my brain didn't melt, so figured it was time to make things more permanent! It's nice now to log into Anki and just see: Deutsch, 日本語 and Français. The French deck is still completely empty, but I'm ready to start filling it in the New Year.

I also cleared out the shelf I have above my desk. As I am working on textbooks etc, I leave them above my desk so that they are easy to hand. I put quite a few of the books back on my main bookshelf and have left myself with a core of books for each language to dip into as and when I feel like it, as follows:

German
Begegnungen A2 The set text for the class I'm doing, which I also quite like.
A Grammatik A grammar course and workbook for A1/A2, written by the same people as Begegnungen so the format is quite familiar, but it also comes with some English translations.
Sage und Schreibe A vocabulary book.
Edexcel German Grammar for A Level I've borrowed this from my local library, who are kind enough to allow you to renew your books as many times as you like, unless somebody recalls the book for their own use. It's a set text for A Level German (the exam you take at aged 18 in high school in the UK). It has clear explanations in English, aimed at teenagers, covering grammar you need up towards B2 level. If I were to buy a grammar reference, I'd want something a bit more comprehensive. But while I'm still a beginner and have access to this for free, I'll take it!

Japanese
Kanji in Context Comprehensive but dry, one day I will "finish" it.
新完全マスターN2読解
新完全マスターN2語彙
新完全マスターN2文法
With the aim of improving my reading comprehension, I'll continue working through the Kanzen Master N2 books for reading, vocab, and grammar.
にほんご単語ドリル ぎおん語・ぎたい語 To add a little flavour to my vocabulary study, this is a beautiful little book focusing on onomatopeia, which are much more important in Japanese than they are in English.

French
Le Nouvel Édito B1 I like this coursebook for the way it uses excerpts from real native materials as its basis.
Les 500 exercices de phonétique A1/A2 A great course for helping with French pronunciation, which is, I think, particularly difficult!
Grammaire progressive du français intermédiaire A great grammar workbook.

Now I'm off to make the most of my JSTV subscription and watch the 紅白歌合戦!
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4461 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 91
31 December 2014 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Nieng Zhonghan wrote:
dampingwire wrote:

Quote:
本日語がよく読めるようになるためにどれぐ らい勉強ことか。

I think something is missing in this sentence. I guess 本日語 was a typo, but at the
end of the sentence, I think there must be a verb between 勉強 and ことか. Usually we
see 「する」as in 勉強する, though it would not be in the plain form. Perhaps a better
sentence would be:

日本語がよく読めるようになるために、どれ くぐら勉強すればいいのか。

Sorry, my bad, and thanks for spotting those issues.

The original sentence (typed once, checked twice :-)) is

Quote:

日本語がよく読めるようになるためにどれぐ らい勉強したことか。

1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3467 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 11 of 91
31 December 2014 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

The original sentence (typed once, checked twice :-)) is

Quote:

日本語がよく読めるようになるためにどれぐ らい勉強したことか。

Ah, good, then! :)

And G-bod, I am sorry for messing your log. :D

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 31 December 2014 at 7:49pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 91
31 December 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

German I started studying German in 2012, a few weeks before I visited Berlin. I fell in love with Berlin enough to keep studying the language after coming back from holiday and have been studying it on and off ever since. I am taking an A2 evening class at the moment and it seems to be a good fit. I'm getting good grades in the class, but learning loads of new stuff at the same time.

Good reason to learn German! I fell in love with Berlin in 1997, eventually married a German, and finally moved to Berlin. I'm listening to an insane amount of Silvester fireworks now (4 hours before midnight).

WRT: Kindle if you can get EPUB formatted ebooks, you can easily convert these to MOBI format for the Kindle using (open-source/free) Calibre.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4593 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 13 of 91
31 December 2014 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
It's a Kindle Paperwhite. It would be a brilliant tool for Japanese,
were it not for the fact that the Japanese Kindle store is inaccessible through normal
means from the UK. Although there is some Japanese language stuff available on the UK
Kindle store, I haven't found anything in there which matches up with my long list of
Japanese books I one day might like to read. The only mainstream stuff I've unearthed
apart from Harry Potter are some out of copyright works by Natsume Souseki, which I'm
not desperate to read anyway.

Nice example sentence. I am still trying to bed down in my brain the various uses of
こと and もの, which I noticed in your log you are also tackling at the moment. Is this
use of ことか the one which basically adds a lot of emphasis to your statement (like a
kind of rhetorical question), or am I missing something?

(You can see now why I was surprised to pass N2!)

I hear you. I have been trying to focus more on it こと's various usages, but while I
can get a sense of what it means when I read or listen, I know as a fact that I'm
currently unable to produce it. It still eludes me. もの isn't as much as a problem for
me, although again, it's the production that I'm having trouble with. I don't know. Do
you recommend doing something like Nihongo Soumatome, or KM, or just look out for it
as I read and listen/watch TV? I hate exercise, but I will gladly do them if they
truly help me grasp a concept better.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5331 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 14 of 91
01 January 2015 at 3:40am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I started with tidying up my Anki decks and have finally combined all my
current Japanese decks into one single deck. I think the only reason I ended up having
separate decks for different resources was habit, however I've been using just one deck
for German and it's working really well. I transitioned using a custom study deck to mix
up all the different Japanese decks into one review session and my brain didn't melt, so
figured it was time to make things more permanent! It's nice now to log into Anki and just
see: Deutsch, 日本語 and Français. The French deck is still completely empty, but I'm
ready to start filling it in the New Year.

What I did recently along those lines was utilized Anki 2's ability to create nested decks.
So I basically created a deck for each language, then turned the existing decks into child
decks of their respective language's deck. One perk of that setup is that you can study
either a child deck or the entire parent deck (which groups all the child deck's reviews
together) as desired. For example, I can study my Japanese::Kana deck or just study the
whole Japanese parent deck which will include any waiting reviews or new cards from my
Japanese::Kana deck. (The names of my decks are actually in the respective foreign
language instead, but I listed them in English in this example for simplicity.)

That said, it does make the deck listing a bit busier, so I can still see the benefit of just
one entry per language.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 15 of 91
04 January 2015 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
@Nieng Zhonghan don't worry, there is no mess in my log, only helpful input!

@patrickwilken I guess I did things the wrong way round, having married and settled in Cardiff before I ever discovered Berlin! I still think Cardiff is the best city to live in the UK, but it's not Berlin...

@Woodsei if production is your stumbling block, you just need to produce more! Maybe it would be worth getting some practice on Lang-8. The KM books are a great introduction to intermediate level grammar but they won't make you actually use the grammar points, that is up to you. In practice I've found that some expressions worked their way quite quickly into my own lexicon because I found them immediately useful. The rest I'm content with a passive knowledge, until I find I need to use them. I don't recommend the Soumatome books at all though.

@Warp3 I didn't even think about nesting the decks! I'll continue to make sure everything is tagged appropriately, so maybe I can play around with the format again at a later date, but for now I'm quite happy with the way it's working.

g-bod
Diglot
Joined 5778 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 

Message 16 of 91
04 January 2015 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Der kleine Prinz - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

So I've hit my first milestone of the year, and finished my first book, which is also my first ever proper book in German!

The book was Der Kleine Prinz, which I have already read in English, Japanese and French. It wasn't a completely smooth read, but combined with what I remember from prior readings and occasional dictionary lookups I was able to get through it and actually feel like I was reading something, for real. It helps that the story is short and simple, although somewhat philosophical. In a way, it feels like each time I read it in a different language I understand the actual story a little better.

I've dropped a request into the Rätsel Team Thread as to what my second German book ought to be. Suggestions would be most welcome!

Edited by g-bod on 06 January 2015 at 7:43pm

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version