Triglot
Germany
Joined 4678 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 9 of 21
06 January 2015 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Great to see you doing TAC 15 again with Korean and Japanese! Goold luck!

sabotai wrote:
Sogang, Yonsei, Ewha, Hippocrene, Korean Grammar In Use
TalkToMeInKorean
Novels

I'm curious: Do you have a favourite among the textbooks? I only have Korean Grammar in Use and Sogang's level 5 books - haven't had a chance to look at the others. Korean Grammar in Use seems great for repetition, but to be honest the huge list of grammar points intimidates me... I can't seem to stick with it. I quite like Sogang - the actual textbooks have far too many speaking exercises for self-study (although I do force myself to do some of them by myself) and in the classroom I sometimes thought they were rather tedious. But the accompanying booklet is great because of the Korean definitions of words and example sentences and I like the workbook exercises. Are Yonsei and Ewha very similar?
1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 10 of 21
07 January 2015 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
They all have their own pros and cons, but the two you have (Korean Grammar In Use and Sogang) are the two I'd recommend over the others with the caveat that I have not used Ewha yet and that I've only worked with the first book in the other series. I figured I had enough first level material (more than enough) so I bought Ewha 2-1 and 2-2 to start that series when I get to Sogang 2A and Yonsei 2 or 3.

Here's my list for them, a brief overview of what's in them for those who don't know, in order of how much I like them.

Korean Grammar In Use - This has 112 entries each teaching a specific grammar point. Each entry is 2-3 pages and has 2 audio tracks, the first is the audio for a few sample sentences illustrating the grammar point and the 2nd is of a few very short (2-3 lines) dialogs demonstrating it more in action. The explanation of the grammar point is usually about half a page and then there are some exercises - answers provided in the back of the book.

It's my #1 resource because it has a good amount of audio, answers to the exercises and the explanations for the grammar are very concise. The only downside is that this isn't really a textbook/course for learning Korean, it's more of a hybrid between a teaching course and a reference guide. I would not recommend using JUST this, but no matter what someone's 1st resource for learning Korean is, this should absolutely be their 2nd.

Sogang - Each chapter starts with 2-3 pages of exercises. Most are easy and can be figured out, at least in 1A since they are mostly substitution drills. In later books, they become more fill-in-the-blank/open ended type questions. Answers to the exercises are not provided. 2-3 dialogs of 5-7 lines follow along with more substitution drills. Then you get a reading section (audio for this as well most of the time), some questions on the reading passage and then a listening section, and again some questions. I've grown to really like these reading and listening passages with the questions. It's a good exercise to read a passage or listen to a dialog and try to answer questions on it all in your target language.

Each book comes with a booklet that explains the grammar and vocab in English. Up to (and including) book 2B, English translations of the dialogs, reading and listening passages are provided. Starting in book 3A, they are not (but the grammar/vocab booklet is still in English). I have the workbook too, but haven't used it.

These books are created for classroom learning. They do have some exercises like "Now talk about where you're from with your classmate" and things like that.

I rate this highly because you get a decent amount of audio (Not talking Assimil level amount, but good for a textbook), the grammar booklets explain the grammar well and because each book is still packed with usable content for self-study. Marks against it for not providing answers to the exercises/drills.

Yonsei Reading - Books 1 and 2 have 40 passages (Book 1: 3 teach Hangul and then you have 37 reading passages), Book 3 has 33. In book 1, the passages start off short, just 4-5 lines. But by midway through they are about a dozen lines long. In Book 2, about 1/2 a page long and in Book 3, they are usually 1-2 pages long. They come audio to most of the passages (I think only 1 doesn't have audio in Book 1, haven't checked the others). The passages are followed by some questions and exercises. The answers are provided, but translations of the passages are not. It does have a short vocab list to help you figure out the passage. It is meant to be used with the Yonsei textbooks, so the vocab and grammar in it are meant to help reinforce what's taught in the textbooks.

#3 on my list because of the amount of audio and answers to the exercises. Marks against for not providing translations of the passages (I'd rather have the translation than a vocab list, especially at the beginner levels). I rate it higher than the main course because it has more content usable for self-study, but it also might be a little more difficult to use this if you don't have the Yonsei textbooks (will have to look up grammar and vocab more often).

Yonsei - 10 chapters broken up into 5 sub-chapters (5th being a review sub-chapter). Each chapter starts off with a dialog (English translation provided) followed by some vocabulary (usually uses pictures/drawings to teach vocab instead of a list of words and translations) and ~2 pages of exercises focused mostly on the vocab and grammar. Then it will have 2-3 more pages of various types of exercises, including sometimes listening passages w/ questions. Answers to the exercises are not provided, so their usefulness to a self-study learner is very hit or miss. Some are fairly straight forward like conjugating verbs, pick the right particle, use the picture to form sentences ("The book is on the desk", "The milk is in the refrigerator", stuff like that), read the passage and answer questions. Others are open-ended "write about your day", do this with a classmate, etc. Exercises that are fine in a classroom, or even stuff you can use to give you something to write and submit to lang-8. But for me (somewhat of a "sentence miner"), they don't do me any good right now. If and when I start writing stuff for correction websites like lang-8, they'll provide me with some ideas on what to write about, but that's it. Sometimes I hit a sub-chapter that really only gives me the dialog, the rest of the chapter is useless to me.

#4 because there are too many exercises that aren't useful to self-study and because answers are not provided. You get a good amount of dialogs, though (40 dialogs for the 40 sub-chapters, plus ~25 listening passages). In Books 1-3 there are English explanations of the grammar and translations for the main dialog for the chapter (but not for the listening exercises), but I hear that stops at book 4.

I don't mean to sound too hard on Yonsei. I still use it because I like it. There's certainly enough content for the self-learner, but if I'm asked "Which is better for self-study, Sogang or Yonsei?" the answer is easily Sogang.

Also note, Sogang starts off teaching the standard politeness level (-요 endings) while Yonsei begins with the formal (-입니다 endings). Yonsei gets to the standard endings in the 2nd half of Book 1.

Books I disliked enough to stop using them

Active Korean - Just not enough overall content. A bit similar to Sogang, but not nearly as good.

GANADA Korean - A short dialog to start each chapter, grammar explanation and then a bunch of drills/exercises. The drills are both in audio and written. I was thinking of mining these audio drills for SRS, but maybe not. This might be a good series to use, however, if you like the FSI style of teaching ("drill baby drill").

Integrated Korean - It looks good, but the content is 100% geared towards college students. The vocab and the topics of the dialogs are all about college life. While Sogang and Yonsei are geared towards college classroom settings as well, I find their content to be more general and useful. This series seems to just care about getting college students talking about college topics ASAP. Got bored with it.

Edited by sabotai on 07 January 2015 at 2:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 11 of 21
19 January 2015 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Weeks 2 and 3 Review (Jan 5 - 18)

About midway through week 2, I came down with a nasty bug that lasted about a week, so I only got about a week's worth of work put in the last two weeks.

German: 8 hours, 45 minutes
Japanese: 5 hours, 30 minutes
Korean: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Russian: 30 minutes
Bengali: 30 minutes

Weeks 2+3 Time: 18 hours, 45 minutes
2015 Total: 31 hours

Yesterday, I also spent some time playing around with making dual-language texts, but decided it wasn't really worth the effort. I'll just stick to using the novels (1 in each language).

Progress

German

Didn't make much progress. When I was feeling fine, I would stick to doing subs2srs and working on the other Anki decks. I also starting reading Tom Sawyer in German with the help of the novel in English (reading it like a dual-language book).

subs2srs
Das Leben Der Anderen subs2srs: 764 new cards to go (-56), 915 total (-8)
Lola Rennt subs2srs: 122 new cards to go (-69), 317 total (-16)
Die Welle subs2srs: 955 new cards to go (-64), 1185 total (-7)

LR
Alice Im Wunderland LR: 3/12 chapters (0:39:31/2:57:30)

Workbooks
PMP: Pronouns and Prepositions (0/22)
PMP: Verb Tenses (0/24)
PMP: Sentence Builder (0/20)

Japanese

subs2srs
Cowboy Bebop Ep1 deck: 0 new to go (-14), 110 total (-3)
Kenshin Ep1-4 deck: 773 new to go (-2), 891 total (-4)
Psycho Pass ep1-7 deck: 1712 new to go (-8), 1788 total (-1)

Episode 1 of Cowboy Bebop is done. Still have to make the deck for episode 2.

Dialogs/Lessons
Assimil (15 / 99)
Japanese For All Occasions (0 / 72)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 1 (67 / 170)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 2 (0 / 56)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 3 (0 / 25)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 4 (0 / 50)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 5 (0 / 25)
JapanesePod101 Lower Intermediate 1 (0 / 55)
JapanesePod101 Lower Intermediate 2 (0 / 26)
JapanesePod101 Lower Intermediate 3 (0 / 24)
JapanesePod101 Lower Intermediate 4 (0 / 25)
JapanesePod101 Lower Intermediate 5 (0 / 25)

Grammar
Japanese Sentence Patterns (55 / 142) (+1)

Workbooks
PMP Basic Japanese Chapter (4 / 8)
PMP Complete Japanese Grammar (0/ 15)

Korean

No progress here, just did some review when I felt like it.

Dialogs/Lessons
Sogang 1A Chapters (8 / 10)
Sogang 1B Chapters (0 / 8)
Sogang 2A Chapters (0 / 9)
Yonsei 1 Chapters (6 / 10)
Yonsei 2 Chapters (0 / 10)
Yonsei 1 Reading Entry (16 / 40)
Yonsei 2 Reading Entry (0 / 40)
Hippocrene Beginner's Korean (0 / 12)

Grammar/Lessons
Korean Grammar In Use: Beginner Entries (48 / 112)
TTMIK Lessons Levels 1-3 (85 / 85) (finished)
TTMIK Lessons Level 4 (25 / 30)
TTMIK Lessons Level 5 (0 / 30)
TTMIK Lessons Level 6 (0 / 30)
TTMIK Lessons Level 7 (0 / 30)
TTMIK Lessons Level 8 (0 / 30)
TTMIK Lessons Level 9 (0 / 30)

Russian and Bengali

Barely touched them. Just went over chapter 1 of Living Language for Russian and chapter 1 of TY Bengali.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 12 of 21
26 January 2015 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Week 4 Review (Jan 19 - 25)

German: 5 hours, 45 minutes
Japanese: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Korean: 4 hours, 45 minutes
Russian: 15 minutes
Bengali: 15 minutes

Week 4 Total: 14 hours, 15 minutes
2015 Total: 45 hours, 15 minutes

Progress

German

A few weeks ago, I stopped deleting so many cards for subs2srs, started grading them more seriously, etc. The reviews are starting to pile up and I'm not getting through as many new cards as I used to. I feel that it is working better now, though.

I've been reading bits of books here and there. I started up reading The Shining in German (using the English novel to help). My progress in Alice im Wunderland came to a halt. Got bored with it. Using books geared towards kids and tweens always sounds good in theory...

I'm going to keep (dual-language) reading The Shining, start on 1984 and start using the audiobooks for It and A Game of Thrones. I'm done with the children's books.

subs2srs
Das Leben Der Anderen subs2srs: 756 new cards to go (-8), 912 total (-3)
Lola Rennt subs2srs: 105 new cards to go (-17), 313 total (-4)
Die Welle subs2srs: 928 new cards to go (-27), 1180 total (-5)

LR

Total LR Material: 00:39:31

Workbooks

Japanese

Still going well with the subs2srs decks. Finally got back into doing a bit of grammar study as well as the JPod101 dialogs. I do need to pick up that pace. Already almost a month has gone by and I've barely begun working on my Japanese goals.

Progress with subs2srs has been not as good as it has been with German. Still very slow to pick up vocabulary and grammar, but it's doing wonders for my listening. My ears are much better at picking up syllables and words now, rather than a few seconds of noise.

subs2srs
Cowboy Bebop Ep1 deck: 0 new to go, 110 total
Kenshin Ep1-4 deck: 761 new to go (-12), 888 total (-3)
Psycho Pass ep1-7 deck: 1699 new to go (-13), 1788 total

Dialogs/Lessons
Assimil (15 / 99)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 1 (68 / 170) (+1)

Grammar
Japanese Sentence Patterns (56 / 142) (+1)

Workbooks

Korean

Cracked open the Sogang 1A book and finished off chapter 5, at least as far as studying the dialogs go. Still need to chop up the audio and type up the sentences. (It has 4 "Getting Ready" chapters and 6 regular chapters, I finished the 5th regular chapter - one more to go).

Dialogs/Lessons
Sogang 1A Chapters (9 / 10) (+1)

Grammar/Lessons
TTMIK Lessons Level 4 (25 / 30)

Russian and Bengali

Just like last week, my wunderlust languages didn't get any attention aside from the minimum. Just reviewed their decks in Anki.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 13 of 21
03 February 2015 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Week 5 Review (Jan 26 - Feb 1)

German: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Japanese: 4 hours, 45 minutes
Korean: 6 hours

Week 5 Total: 13 hours, 15 minutes
2015 Total: 58 hours, 30 minutes

Not a great week but I thought it would turn out worse. Got all disorganized this week and in my free time, I binged on some Korean Variety shows (The Human Condition and 2D1N season 3).

Progress

German

Didn't do much German this week. No progress on the subs decks, just did reviews the few days I did reps. Didn't do any LR. Not a good German week.

subs2srs
Das Leben Der Anderen subs2srs: 756 new cards to go (0), 911 total (-1)
Lola Rennt subs2srs: 105 new cards to go (0), 306 total (-7)
Die Welle subs2srs: 928 new cards to go (0), 1177 total (-3)

LR

Total LR Material: 00:39:31

Workbooks

Japanese

Still haven't gotten around to getting Ep2 of Cowboy Bebop set up.

subs2srs
Cowboy Bebop Ep1 deck: 0 new to go, 109 total (-1)
Kenshin Ep1-4 deck: 759 new to go (-2), 888 total (0)
Psycho Pass ep1-7 deck: 1699 new to go (0), 1788 total (0)

Dialogs/Lessons
Assimil (15 / 99)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 1 (70 / 170) (+2)

Grammar
Japanese Sentence Patterns (57 / 142) (+1)

Workbooks

Korean

No progress in the textbooks but I finished off the last of the lessons for Level 4 of TTMIK. Did a good amount of reviewing material as well. The plan is to finished off Sogang 1A this week and then get back to work on Yonsei 1.

I meant to do the TAC challenge for Team 東亜, an introduction in Korean, but it completely slipped my mind. Oops.

Dialogs/Lessons
Sogang 1A Chapters (9 / 10)

Grammar/Lessons
TTMIK Lessons Level 4 (30 / 30) (+5, finished)

Russian and Bengali

Just a few days of SRS. Not even 15 minutes worth total. Not sure if I'm going to keep up with them. It's not that I don't have the time to, it's just....2 Days 1 Night...The Human Condition...Running Man...I think "I'll do a bunch of language learning....after 1 more episode" and then it's suddenly 2 AM...

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 14 of 21
03 February 2015 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
A few weeks ago, I toyed with making dual-language books, and decided it wasn't worth the effort. I'm rethinking that. I still think it's probably not worth it when I have the dead-tree versions, or at least one book and one ebook. But for several novels, I only have the ebooks, and unless I'm going to go buy a second e-reader, reading them side by side is not an options.

I'm going to give it another go. I'm going to take the novels It by Stephan King and the first Mistborn novel by Brandon Sanderson (from what little I could find, the German translations of Mistborn seem to be good), and I'm going to make Ilya Frank style "dual-language" books from them. I'm thinking that the process of doing this will be a learning technique in and of itself. If not, I still end up with dual-language books for them.

I'm planning on doing this for the first third or half of It, and just the 1st book in the Mistborn trilogy. The challenge will be to then read the rest of It and books 2 and 3 of Mistborn without the help of the English novels (but since they're ebooks, I'll still have a pop-up dictionary to help me - and I've tried to just reading with the pop-up dictionary now. Still feels too much like a grind to me. Not enjoyable.)

While I'm doing that, I do still plan to get started LRing A Game of Thrones and reading 1984 and The Shining. Now if I could just reign in my desire to just spend all day watching Korean TV shows...

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 15 of 21
10 February 2015 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
Week 6 Review (Feb 2 - 8)

German: 4h, 45m
Japanese: 3h, 45m
Korean: 4h, 30m

Week 6 Total: 13 hours
2015 Total: 71 hours, 30 minutes

Progress

German

Finally got started on working on some of the workbooks. Die Welle is slowly getting easier as is Lola Rennt. Das Leben Der Anderen still gives me fits, but I'm getting pretty well adjusted to the speed of the language and occasionally pick up sentences and understand them completely the first time, even if I can't pick up every single word in a sentence.

subs2srs
Das Leben Der Anderen subs2srs: 746 new cards to go (-10), 904 total (-7)
Lola Rennt subs2srs: 98 new cards to go (-7), 284 total (-22)
Die Welle subs2srs: 910 new cards to go (-18), 1173 total (-4)

LR
Die Herren von Winterfell LR: 1/41 chapters (0:31:11/19:37:26)

Total LR Material: 01:10:42 (+0:31:11)

Workbooks
PMP: Pronouns and Prepositions (2/22) (+2)
PMP: Verb Tenses (1/24) (+1)

Japanese

Got tired of seeing the cards from the first episode of Kenshin, so I just mass deleted them so I could get on with episode 2.

subs2srs
Cowboy Bebop Ep1 deck: 0 new to go, 105 total (-4)
Kenshin Ep1-4 deck: 748 new to go (-11), 776 total (-112)
Psycho Pass ep1-7 deck: 1691 new to go (-8), 1787 total (-1)

Dialogs/Lessons
Assimil (15 / 99)
JapanesePod101 Beginner Season 1 (72 / 170) (+2)

Grammar
Japanese Sentence Patterns (59 / 142) (+2)

Workbooks

Korean

Dialogs/Lessons
Sogang 1A Chapters (9 / 10)

Grammar/Lessons
TTMIK Lessons Levels 1-4 (115 / 115) (finished)

Edited by sabotai on 10 February 2015 at 3:26am

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4607 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 16 of 21
10 February 2015 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
How do you find Kenshin for subs2srs? I love the series, but there's a lot of "samurai
talk" involved. Do you keep the subs, or cut out that which you think isn't useful?

I ask because I'm interested in knowing how you filter the subs overall.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version