sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 17 of 21
11 February 2015 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
I don't filter out cards before starting a subs deck. I give even the hardest cards a chance to teach me something, even if it's just 1 vocab word.

For Kenshin, I definitely keep all of the samurai talk because watching anime and samurai movies is the top reason to learn Japanese for me. But so far, the only things I've really noticed is that Kenshin says でござる instead of です and 拙者 (せっしゃ) instead of 私。 There's probably other samurai level speaking but I haven't noticed it yet. Oh, and he uses the honorific どの. It hasn't been a roadblock at all.

Psycho Pass has actually been a lot harder because of all of the technology vocab and lingo it uses. Cowboy Bebop too, but not nearly as bad. But because Kenshin is targeted at a younger audience than Psycho Pass and Cowboy Bebop, it's been the easiest of the 3.

For deleting cards, I try to keep as many as is reasonable, but if a card is just so over the top difficult, then I delete it. A lot of Psycho Pass cards get deleted because it'll have a long compound noun. "Valid User Authentication System" and the like. It gets tough when characters start a monologue too. Long, complex sentences don't last long for me yet. And when I'm tired of the card, it gets the axe.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4607 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 18 of 21
11 February 2015 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
Yes, the language in Kenshin has been a lot easier for me to figure out than Psycho-Pass,
and the formalities used were immediately identifiable. I tend to keep all kinds of
things that may not be useful for some, because I really want to be able to understand
all the aspects of the Japanese language in all of its different contexts. And I hoard
like you wouldn't believe, unless it's something that's really boring. Glad to be reading
a log that I can really relate to.
1 person has voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 19 of 21
20 March 2015 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Was browsing the forum a bit and figured I'd give a small update. I guess I was feeling burned out again. In the past, I'd change languages and keep going. This time, I decided to just take a break.

I didn't entirely stop with language learning. A bit of German here, some Korean there. I did delete all of my Anki decks, including the subs2SRS decks (though I still have the decks made by the subs2SRS program if I decide to go back to them). Once again, I got so caught up in doing SRS and other things that 90%+ of my language learning was being done while sitting at my PC.

So for now, I'm pretty much done with language learning. I'll probably be back in a few months and ready to go after I give my brain a lengthy vacation.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 20 of 21
14 June 2015 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
I was watching an episode of a German TV show called "Stromberg" (similar to, if not a rip off of, The Office). In this episode, I kept hearing the word "Abteilung" over and over. It stuck out to me. I knew I heard this word before, but I couldn't remember what it meant, so I looked it up. It meant "department" ("division", "section", etc.).

I went to my learning materials and looked for it. I found it being used in Linguaphone German (Lesson 8). I had started this course about a half dozen times over the years. Always got to at least lesson 8, so I know I have listened to this dialog every time. And given how much I was into reviewing everything, I'm sure I listened to this dialog at least 100 times. And that's one use I found. I didn't go through every word of every resource I've ever used, so I could have read or heard it elsewhere as well.

And yet, the word didn't really stick. In all of the SRSing, listening, reviewing, the word didn't stick. 100 times, at least, hearing it used in context in this one dialog, and the best I got it to was "I know I've heard this word before....".

But now it has stuck. After I heard it a few times in a TV show I barely understood and looked it up (~a month ago), it's now pretty much cemented in my memory.

Over the last few months, I've been making a concerted effort to expose myself to a lot of German. Different German. Not rereading the same chapter of Alice im Wunderland over and over. Not listening to the same Assimil dialogs over and over. Not SRSing the same sentences over and over. I've been watching German TV and movies. I've been LRing novels, but not going back and doing them over and over. Just a good once through.

I feel like my German is getting much better, much faster than it has in the past. On Facebook, my high school German teacher often shares links to stories in German. In the past, I struggled with them. Recently, I've been breezing through them (relatively).

That's not to say I gave up on all "language learning" materials or techniques. Most days, do some exercises from a workbook. I still do some intensive reading. I still do "intensive watching" of German movies (Read the subtitles for a scene intensively, then watch the scene several times). But I spend most of my time reading and listening and just looking up few select words that stand out.

When I LR a chapter of a book (right now, Wilbur und Charlotte), I listen to the chapter in German while reading German. I write down the words I don't understand, but my rule is I only write down 10 words at most, and look them up afterwards. I feel like I am retaining the meaning of the words much better than when I SRSed example sentences.

Take these sentences from Mastering German Vocabulary:

"Zur Begrüßung gibt man sich in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz die Hand."
"Diese Creme ist besonders für die Pflege und den Schutz trockener Haut geeignet."
"Mir tut der Hals weh."

Similarly to the Linguaphone dialog, these sentences have been reviewed a ton. I've must have entered them into Anki a few times at least (probably saw them 6-10 times each time I put them into Anki). Used scriptorium on them and reread the pages. And right now, it's been a little while since I've seen them. I know what the first and third sentences mean, but looking at the second, I couldn't tell you what 'geeignet', 'Pflege' or 'Schutz' mean. I've seen this specific sentence at least a hundred times, and all I can say about those words is "I've seen these words before...". 'Begrüßung' might also be a "seen it before..." word if I saw it in a different sentence.

All that SRSing, scriptorium, reading...

(I looked it up. Pflege means 'care'. Schutz means 'protection' and geeignet means 'suitable'. While I knew what the sentence meant generally, having seen the translation often, I didn't remember what those specific words meant.)

That's not me saying SRS or scriptorium doesn't work. That's me saying that all of times I tried Anki, I was wasting my time by putting old sentences back into it. The first time through did all the good it was going to do. Now, had I SRSed different sentences with Pflege and Schutz, scriptoriumed different sentences with those words, I might have learned those words by now. But I didn't. I put these same sentences into Anki those half dozen times, I scriptoriumed them a half dozen times, and for all of those times minus one, I was wasting my time.

In Wilbur und Charlotte, I had this sentence: "Hm", sagte die Spinne und zupfte nachdenklich an ihrem Netz, "das alte Schaf lebt schon sehr lange hier im Stall."

I understood all of that, except the word 'zupfte', so on my short list of words it went. Leading up to this sentence, Wilbur was running around and crying because the old sheep told him something he didn't like (told him what happens to pigs on a farm), He asked Charlotte if he was really going to be killed, and that's how she responded (her first sentence, her full response was a paragraph long). So I have the mental image in my head of all of that, leading up to Charlotte saying what she said while doing something thoughtfully. So when I went to look up the word 'zupfte' after I was done the chapter, I remembered where it came from and had this snippet of the mental movie playing in my head as I learned the meaning. After I saw what it meant ('plucked'), my mental movie snippet changed accordingly.

And now I feel like I'll never forget the word. Though, I probably will. In fact, I'm betting that for most of the words I learn from Wilbur und Charlotte, the next time I see or hear them, I won't remember their meaning. Instead, I'll have a similar experience as when I heard the word 'Abteilung' while watching Stromberg. Except this time, I wouldn't have spent an hour and a half of my life listening to the same dialog over and over again (100 x 52 seconds), I will have (hopefully) gotten to that level of awareness with the word 'zupfen' and the rest that I forget by just LRing a chapter from Wilbur und Charlotte and looking it up afterwards.

...of course, this is possible because I've gotten my German to the level where I can LR a chapter of a book fully in my target language and understand most of it. So it's not like I'm about to throw out all of my Assimil/Teach Yourself/Living Language courses and delete all of my TTMIK/Pod.com/Pod101.com lessons from my computer. All of the materials and techniques I've used in the past are how I got my German to this level. But it's been at this level for a long time, but kept starting over. I guess I had to experience the "use real world materials" to believe it for myself.

My other languages aren't nearly to this level. Children's material is still very difficult for me in Korean and French. But I have, hopefully, learned my lesson on my habitual need to start over, and learned my lesson on diminishing returns when it comes to reviewing the same material over and over again.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5692 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 

Message 21 of 21
14 June 2015 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Now that THAT rant is over (sorry for the length)...

Getting back into things. I've started up German awhile back and am starting French and Korean back up.

What I've been doing with German (pick 2 or 3 things per day):
LR'ing Wilbur und Charlotte (on Chapter 8)
I just started Practice Makes Perfect: Sentence Builder
Watching episodes of Der Kriminalist
Intensive Watching of Die Welle
Reading 1984 by George Orwell (just started)
Deutsche Welle - Top-Thema series

What I'm doing with French:
Assimil - starting with lesson 35, which is around where I left off I think.
FrenchPod.com - starting with the Elementary series
Easy French Reader

What I'm doing with Korean:
TTMIK - starting with Level 5
Yonsei 1 - starting with chapter 6
Yonsei Reading 1 - starting with entry #13
Korean Grammar In Use: Starting with Chapter 4

When I finish the Yonsei 1 book, I'll start Songang 1B, then Yonsei 2, and then keep alternating as I go. I listened to the audio from Yonsei 1 and Yonsei Reading 1 and am starting where I started having trouble understanding it.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version