30 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5252 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 30
31 December 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
So many people consider Hungarian one of the harder languages to learn for English speakers, why is this? Why is something with similar concepts like Turkish considered easier? What makes it so difficult? What makes Turkish easier? I've heard many people say that Hungarian is super logical and regular but isn't Turkish too? Is it just the amount of things you have to learn?
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3860 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 2 of 30
01 January 2015 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
I never studied Hungarian; anyway, the most frequent reason to it appear to be the high number of cases. But according to an increasing number of people, they're not that bad. A Romanian friend of mine once told me "it looks like shit but it is easy".
Benny Lewis posted an article about it, I found it interesting: Why Hungarian is easy

Edited by tristano on 01 January 2015 at 1:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4520 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 30
01 January 2015 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Because it doesn't look like or work like English.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5645 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 4 of 30
01 January 2015 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Who says Hungarian is harder than Turkish? This is news to me.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4943 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 5 of 30
01 January 2015 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:

Probably in reference to FSI's ranking for English speakers. Although Hungarian is in the same ranking group as Turkish, it's flagged as being more difficult than other languages in the same group.

R.
==

Dylanarama
United States
Joined 5252 days ago

30 posts - 31 votes

Message 6 of 30
01 January 2015 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:

The language profiles on this very website for one!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6969 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 7 of 30
01 January 2015 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Dylanarama wrote:
So many people consider Hungarian one of the harder languages to learn for English speakers, why is this? Why is something with similar concepts like Turkish considered easier? What makes it so difficult? What makes Turkish easier? I've heard many people say that Hungarian is super logical and regular but isn't Turkish too? Is it just the amount of things you have to learn?

I consider coming to terms with Hungarian or Turkish to be the same in overall difficulty for a monoglot English-speaker.

I do think though that the perception of Hungarian being extremely hard is affected/distorted by being surrounded by a handful of Indo-European languages ranging from German which is somewhat transparent to an English-speaker to Romanian and a few Slavonic tongues which are less so. These people can notice the similarities among this set of languages. In particular, I suspect that the varying intra-intelligibility of the Slavonic languages in the Carpathian Basin sharpens the perception that Hungarian is impenetrable and impossible to learn. For example, the average monoglot Serb can at least sometimes get the gist of some snippet of Slovak, Rusyn, Ukrainian etc. which he almost certainly couldn't do when coming up against Hungarian.

With Turkish the perception for the average English-speaking monoglot is less clear and I think it reflects a certain indirect Eurocentrism or even Orientalism. One either has no idea of what Turkish even looks or sounds like, or could be mentally lazy and just think that it must be hard because it's "Eastern" or not Standard Average European.

To tie it with the perception of Hungarian, you're combining the Standard Average European "wiring" of English-speakers with Turkish being often associated with Asia (i.e. non-European) which means that the uniqueness or intractability of Hungarian gets magnified (despite it sometimes being considered a peripheral part of Standard Average European). Hungarian is spoken in Europe and so "should" look more familiar than Turkish. The latter doesn't look that uniquely difficult since it's associated with the "East" and in a region where people count as their mother tongues Arabic, Armenian, Azeri, Kurdish, Farsi or Greek which all are largely "weird" or "exotic" to English-speaking people.

For related discussion, see the following:

Difficulty of Turkish
How difficult is Hungarian?
7 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3845 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 8 of 30
04 January 2015 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Hungarian has more vowels, consonants, consonant clusters, and often some cases of irregular vowel harmony than
Turkish. It has an indefinite and definite article which can mean a gigantic difference and has something like phrasal
verbs too. Hungarian grammar looks to me like a more beefed up type of agglutinating grammar than Turkish's.

As for being super regular, Hungarian is, but due to certain historical events, it has very very irregular derivational
morphology with numerous upon numerous random alternants and extensions like IE languages unlike its other
Uralic cousins. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Hungarian_suffixes

Turkish chose to keep its derivation the way it is, hence Turkish vocabulary is more transparent and a bit easier to
learn.

Edited by Stolan on 04 January 2015 at 2:32am

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version