Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6395 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 25 of 30
08 January 2015 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Cool, I recognize quite bit there, but certainly not all. I'm guessing this part of learning tha language, which is a pretty large hurdle if you want to read academia or even popular science, is easier in Hungarian than in Turkish, which I would expect has fewer loans.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6969 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 26 of 30
08 January 2015 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
You could check out the Turkish counterparts of those example articles to see how many technical loanwords are recognizable to you.

As I've been studying Turkish, I've been a little surprised at how many loanwords from French turn up in basic vocabulary. See here for a list of examples. A lot of these French loanwords are spelled in Turkish such that they're pronounced quite similarly to their French sources.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4943 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 27 of 30
08 January 2015 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

As I've been studying Turkish, I've been a little surprised at how many loanwords from French turn up in basic vocabulary.

It also depends on what the word actually is, ie: noun, adjective, adverb, verb, etc.

Take asansör (elevator), as an example. You'll only find the French loan word as a noun. You won't find a French loan for the verb "to elevate/raise" (kaldırmak or yükseltmek are just two examples) or as an adjective (also derived from the two Turkish verbs).

Most of the French loanwords that I've seen in use in Turkish are nouns.

There are also many, many Ottoman Turkish words still in use that can alternate to modern Turkish, depending on word function.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 08 January 2015 at 7:54pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 30
08 January 2015 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
My guess would be that Finnish, even thouh it's not IE, would contain a lot of these borrowings, which would make it substantially easier than a similar language with home-made variants (or imports from Sanskrit, Sino-Japanese or Arabic), regardless of genetic relationships.

Let me post my example from another thread, about learning medical vocabulary:

Useimmiten eturistisiteen repeämä pyritään hoitamaan leikkaamalla, mutta ei aina.

Quote:
...look at it. try to understand ANYTHING:)

*fanfares*
translation: In most cases, it is endeavoured to treat a rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament by performing an operation, but not always.

Finnish uses the native terms for words like anterior ("front"), rupture/tear etc. The only loan word here is risti, from the Slavic krest 'cross'. Not a single word from Latin here.

Compared to that, Spanish is crystal clear, especially when it comes to understanding.

Now, of course there *are* many loan words, especially from Swedish, but most of them have been assimilated long ago. Also, in many cases there are both loans and compounds, and then you may sound too much like a foreigner if you avoid the compounds. For example, despite my interest in medicine I somehow managed to say "operaatio" instead of "leikkaus" at my CEFR exam. And "operaatio" does exist, but it's much more common in the meaning of a military or mathematical/logical operation.

I'm trying to take advantage of the loans in my learning of Swedish, obviously, but somehow I still know very few. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there are any methods taking advantage of it, akin to "Spanish vocabulary: an etymological approach" or "You already know Italian". I just got a slang dictionary which often lists the origin of words. (I posted some examples here for a mini-challenge)

As for Hungarian, I think I read somewhere that it actually has more loan words than Finnish, but there's so much variety with all the Slavic, Romance, Turkish, Germanic loans that only a polyglot with a specific combination of languages has any significant advantage. Maybe it was Erik Gunnemark or even Barry Farber who wrote about that?

Edited by Serpent on 09 January 2015 at 4:02am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4435 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 29 of 30
12 January 2015 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
I find it interesting that many Hungarian people themselves seem to revel in the fact that their language is regarded by many outsiders to be one of the most difficult. It's almost as if they get a mini ego-boost by being able to say they have an expert command of the "world's hardest language"

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 30
13 January 2015 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
That's not unique to Hungarians

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version