Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

ARABIC-my story-thousands of hrs-and now?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
Auguste
Triglot
France
Joined 3429 days ago

2 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: German, French*, EnglishC2
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 12
13 January 2015 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your replies

@easy rider: Actively I have 3500, but guess I could recognize visually 4000 words. But you re right; the more you know the better it is. I read somewhere that with 4500/5000 words you can understand a text(article etc). BUt the problem I have is that a spoken word I theoritically know remains unerderstood, unless I replay the portion several times until I can figure out how it is spelled and written. Then I recognize it, and can then understand the whole sentence. Can you tell which language you were learning?
Regarding the number of words I have typed in my flash card app, I learn only the words listed in the lessons - DLI-FSI-Al Kitaab(which include authentic/original materials) because I know I will be exposed to them in current lessson and in the following. I would like to learn additional vocab whenever I read/listen something outside the lesssons, but have no time. I spend 40mn a day reviewing rougly 50 cards(95% of them being old cards, and 5% new). If I had to learn the double of cards, I would habe spend the double of time reviwing cards, time less for learning or reading. This is a trade - off, so have set myself that rule of only learning actively the cards of the lessons. Once Al-Kitaab completed, I will learn vocab from other sources.

@ Michael 1020
MSA covers 9/10 of all the arabic I learnt.
Regqrding my wife, actually I should have written that she doesnt realize to which extent I learn arabic. She just thinks that I read few pages before sleeping. And I don't study when I am at home, ie I dont lock myself in a room to study. I do this during the week when I travel.

@ Ari
OK sounds interesting, might be worth to be tested, if it really works. Did you apply this method? How often?

@ Luhmann
Indeed internet provides tons of material so I dont have trouble to get arabic sources I want. But till now, didnt spend that much time watching videos, as I believe that you are less exposed than talks/ audio books etc. In a video, you have dialogues and actions which dont translate into arabic expressions. Or I might be wrong, and it can be that the impact of a video + arbic audio or subtitles can be stronger so learning more efficient, the problem is that I dont have time to test the different ways that fit best to me(you discover that you went the wrong way years later), so have to rely on others experience or on my judgement.

@ Napoleon
Bonjour Napoleon! Thats a pity that you stopped, it would have been very interesting to compare levels/study duration with identical materials.
ok thanks, and I will look for Omar!

@ ijsn
thanks for your advice. Will look after Kaufmanns method. the problem is that I have the feeling that I read already tons of material. I would be interested to read about breakthrough experiences, and how many hours rading/lsitening were needed to come to that point. If I take my English, I cannot remember how and when it happened, I learnt it at school/university and cannot remember that I was struggling as I do with arabic. It is may be also a matter of age. I was an average student in English, had maybe 4h class+1hour home work/ week at school * 40weeks * 7 years(more if i take into account universit = 1400 hours.

@ Al-Malik
I have noone to talk with. I have some arabic friends but since they master european languages, I cannot make them sacrifice their time ony for me. I read few posts/blogs etc stating the same as you do, your re probably right, that practicing speaking improve listening comprehension. It could be one of the remaining reasons that I have listening comprehension difficutlies. For this reason, I paid last year a private teachers for 1h30 (42EUR/45mn). Was too expensive so stopped. I am a bit reluctant to do it online per skype, as I find it too virtual; like to sit in front of the person I talk to. Maybe I should go for it.
I will have a look to awsaat arabiya

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6395 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 12
13 January 2015 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Auguste wrote:
@ Ari
OK sounds interesting, might be worth to be tested, if it really works. Did you apply this method? How often?

I've used this method sparsely. I can say that it's pleasant and fun, but I haven't done it in quantities that would allow me to testify to its effectiveness. I generally have a lot of success with massive listening, but it's been a long time since I did a language that wasn't already pretty transparent to me, which has made reading and listening pretty easy. There are, however, others on these forums who have used the method and who endorse it. I think Volte is the one who has worked the most with this method. You could PM him for advice.

A search on the forums will give you lots of threads where people discuss the pros and cons, as well as different variants of the method. Here are some examples:
http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=8086&PN=48&TPN=1
http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=8830&PN=0&TPN=1

And here's the original 62-page thread started by the originator of the method, the mad genius siomotteikiru, who basically showed up, taught us his method and then disappeared.
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=6366&PN=2

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6722 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 12
14 January 2015 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I quote myself:

I've done L-R with varying results:
1. several long books in Spanish - good results
2. a short book in Chinese - bad results

I was familiar with all stories beforehand, but the lack of cognates in Chinese simply made the process so darn difficult/different.

(Original post HERE)

Like Ari, I haven't done LR as much as suggested by siomotteikiru, but still enough to see some improvement. The more you know of the story beforehand, the language and the writing system, the more beneficial it will be.

See also Volte's last post in this thread:
Mandarin LR

(She is a woman, by the way.)

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 14 January 2015 at 12:19am

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6395 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 12
14 January 2015 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
(She is a woman, by the way.)

I was thinking this as I wrote! "I bet Volte is a woman and I'm making an ass of myself". I guess I should have written "Him/her" or "them" or "thon". The Internet makes for some embarrassing gaffes.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version