Joined 4468 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 19
30 January 2015 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
Your fellow UK Italian, chiara-sai, appears to disagree given that
"melanzana" isn't an important word for her. :)

I guess we're not related then :-)

Actually aubergine isn't high up on my list of must-know words either (and, to be honest,
neither is melanzana), but I still think the category itself is quite important.

eyðimörk wrote:
(Does that mean that after 40 days of Italian I know words that some
natives with an interest in languages don't?)

The answer would seem to be yes. The challenge is to direct the conversation towards those
words, though!

1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3902 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 18 of 19
30 January 2015 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
eyðimörk wrote:
(Does that mean that after 40 days of Italian I know words that some natives with an interest in languages don't?)

The answer would seem to be yes. The challenge is to direct the conversation towards those words, though!

Given that I've spent 40 days fooling around without a formal course, the challenge is to have any kind of meaningful conversation at all, with or without food vocabulary. ;)

Given what all of my trips to France looked like before moving here, if I did go to Italy and end up talking to the natives, the first people I'd encounter would probably be people at an open air market, asking for things like aubergines, enquiring about varieties. The first people I meet after talking to the owner of the holiday home I'm renting, that is, so the first conversation would probably be about deposits, how to lock the garage, and what to do about household garbage and recycling. That's not exactly top-1000 vocabulary either, I suspect, but it's what I'd need for conversation (as opposed to when watching a film or reading). :)
1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4862 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 19 of 19
30 January 2015 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:

eyðimörk wrote:

Does that mean that after 40 days of Italian I know words that some natives with an interest in languages don't?

The answer would seem to be yes. The challenge is to direct the conversation towards those words, though!

Oftentimes the challenge is to direct the conversation away from those words. There are some words that I'm
likely to use if asked about my everyday habits, but which usually stump native Mandarin speakers: burrito,
hummus, cognitive science, rooibos, student apartments...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version