32 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 32
03 February 2015 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Your log isn't boring :P

dandt wrote:
For some reason, my days on Duolingo are out of sync and my day clocks over around 2pm, so I'm trying to do a little in the morning and a little at night so that I can still make my daily goal. I really enjoy the food units on duolingo as I'm already quite familiar with a lot of food- related vocabulary.

Maybe you need to check your timezone settings? Sounds like it's reset at midnight UTC?
1 person has voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4412 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 10 of 32
04 February 2015 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
^ Thanks serpent. Unfortunately, there isn't a time zone setting on the site, so I lodged a help ticket the other day, but I'm not exactly
optimistic. Realistically, it shouldn't be a problem if I log in the same time every day. I want to have a routine anyway.

--
Just before bed I last night I was reviewing some sentences. One that had come up on duolingo was making my friend and I laugh: “Io
non ho la mucca, ho il cuoio" ... I do not have the cow, I have the leather.
I'm not sure how, but this sentence led to a discussion about the movie Mulan as there is the phrase 'Dishonour on your cow' in there. It
might seem like a ridiculously small thing, but I worked out how to correctly phrase it in Italian all by myself. disonore sulla tua mucca.
Such an important phrase.

I also ordered a green moleskine notebook to use for any notes about Italian, phrases I wanted to jot down etc. I was using one for
french and it became an important reference book over time, so I decided to do the same for Italian. I could really use any book, but I
wanted to have continuity. Anyway, I now have a list of things I want to jot down in my book.

Another thing I have noticed about my learning process this time is that I'm taking note of the articles. It sounds strange to say that, as
if I hadn't in the past, but when I studied Japanese at school, we didn't have all the articles of other language, and when I studied Italian
with my dad for two weeks he basically told me to ignore them, so I did. It's so much easier knowing what they all are. Right now it's a
bit of a DUH realisation.

Back to work today so I'm not going to be able to spend as much time studying. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 32
04 February 2015 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Good luck with Italian! Your log looks interesting so far.

I also have a copy of Italian grammar drills and I'm very slowly working through it. I'm finding it quite useful as an "accessory" to my studies, and even though my level is already relatively high I'm still learning a lot of small things from the example sentences and the exercises are helping me practice the grammar. And Italian grammar requires a lot of practice! Even after three years of learning it I still sometimes mess up things like verb endings and object pronouns when I speak.

I hadn't heard of Il comandante e la cicogna before, so I might check it out, it sounds fun. There are lots of Italian comedy films, old and modern; the quality of course varies, but in general they're enjoyable and useful.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4412 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 12 of 32
04 February 2015 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Spent some time writing something on lang-8 last night. Got some great corrections. I'm going to try to do more
writing regularly.

Ciao. Mi chiamo Anna e ho 24 anni. Sto imparando l'italiano in modo che io possa parlare di più in famiglia. Lo sto
imparando soltanto da una settimana. Voglio essere un'avvocatessa dopo la laurea. Mi piace scrivere e leggere libri.
Mulan è il mio film preferito della Disney - "disonore sulla tua mucca”. Mi piace buffy l’ammazzavampiri.

Nothing else to log really. I got my head around some grammar things I was struggling with. I'm feeling a bit
ambivalent about learning at the moment, so I'm just doing the bare minimum today.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3887 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 13 of 32
05 February 2015 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Anch'io, mi piace Buffy l'Ammazzavampiri, ma credo che ciò non è una sorpresa per nessuno. I'm hoping to subtly influence the introduction of an unofficial "The Buffy Method", which is of course the listening equivalent of "The Harry Potter Method". ;)

I hear you on the ambivalence. I've been having that kind of... well, week, I suppose. I haven't been myself since Friday evening, so I gave myself the week off from language obligations to find some balance again. It has been surprisingly helpful.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4412 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 14 of 32
05 February 2015 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
Anch'io, mi piace Buffy l'Ammazzavampiri, ma credo che ciò non è una sorpresa per nessuno.
I'm hoping to subtly influence the introduction of an unofficial "The Buffy Method", which is of course the listening
equivalent of "The Harry Potter Method". ;)

I hear you on the ambivalence. I've been having that kind of... well, week, I suppose. I haven't been myself since
Friday evening, so I gave myself the week off from language obligations to find some balance again. It has been
surprisingly helpful.
I definitely think Buffy is great for learning! I watched quite a bit of it when I was
focusing on french and it does seem to be pretty popular on here. I found an Italian dub online
(here) but my subtitles don't match it perfectly. It's fairly close
though, so I'm probably being pedantic. I'm considering buying the dvd, but I live in Australia, so the region won't
work. Even so, I felt like I was able to learn things that are actually quite useful from the little bit of Buffy that I have
watched, and knowing the show well already is such an advantage. I really want to find The West Wing or Gilmore
Girls as well, but it can be a struggle to keep up with the dialogue in English and fear it would be impossible in
another language!

I adore Harry Potter (I literally grew up with it and was 16 when the last book came out) but I really had trouble with
reading it in French. Perhaps it was just the awkward and slow beginning of the first book, and perhaps I would have
been fine skipping a few chapters. I can certainly see the value of reading them as you learn a language. Buffy seems
like less work though.

Taking some time off seems like a good idea. I think I'm going to try it too. I did hardly any work today yet found
myself putting some Italian things on in the car for a drive home tonight, when I would ordinarily play some music. I
think not focussing so much is probably valuable

--
All I did today was one round on duolingo and like 10 minutes of michel thomas when I was driving. I'm going to try
to find some books I might want to order to read in the next few days. I'm thinking of getting some of John Green's
books. I have enjoyed them in English, so reading them in Italian seems a good idea. I want to be cautious, however,
because the language he uses is rarely colloquial, so I don't want to pick up pretentious phrasing from them. I guess
I'll decide when I look at prices.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3887 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 15 of 32
05 February 2015 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I never got into the Harry Potter craze (I was 15 when the first book made it big in Sweden so it has always had the "I'm way too grown up for this" stamp), although I have now at least read the first book in three languages... first as a parallel text English/Breton, and then in French because I found it for 0,50€ at a flea market. I don't know if it was because I had already read it in two languages, but I found it the least engaging in French. The translation felt stiff. The language is instructive, rather than descriptive, which makes the characters flat and the story doesn't hold up nearly as well without their individual voices.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4412 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 

Message 16 of 32
06 February 2015 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
^ That's actually making me feel better about my inability to get into it in French. Shall try again in Italian in a few
weeks.

--
I'm still feeling a little meh about studying, but I did some stuff in downtime at work this morning. Hopefully can do
some more as well. I want to do as much as I can before uni starts back, and even though I might not feel as
excited about it now, I can't just stop. Of course, the 6 week challenge is great encouragement - just a day or so off
and I'm hours behind again.

MY first duolingo review came up today. I swear that I don't remember learning some of the things that came up.
Looks like I need to start going over earlier skills.

I have been playing with bits of michel thomas, but it's just not working for me. I did most of the foundation
program in french, so when michel asks how to say something, I tend to start saying it in french, and then I realise
I'm meant to be doing Italian. I might try pimsleur as my friend has a copy that I can borrow.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version