Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 25 of 40
14 April 2015 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Of course that's probably just because Connemara only pronounces half as many letters as everyone else.

Ha, this is sooo true! :D

That's one of the reasons why I hate Learning Irish. In terms of pronunciation, Munster Irish is much easier to understand and reproduce than Cois Fharraige Irish.
1 person has voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3370 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 26 of 40
22 April 2015 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
geoffw wrote:
Of course that's probably just because Connemara only
pronounces half as many letters as everyone else.

Ha, this is sooo true! :D

That's one of the reasons why I hate Learning Irish.

I so needed to hear this! For a while I was relating all to well to your frustration. I've
been leaning heavily on the IPA in the vocabulary section to get clear on what I'm supposed
to be hearing and saying.

(Not that I'm fluent on the IPA, by the way, I've just learning it via its use in Learning
Irish and Pronounce it Perfectly French, with the aid of a couple of nice IPA iPad apps.)

While I'm quoting, I'll also quote my report in the Team Celts thread, to save myself the
effort of paraphrasing it for this log:

myself wrote:
My brief foray into reviving my super-rusty French has actually done great
things for my Irish. I came back from it ready to dive into Learning Irish, which had
been a bit too dense for me previously.

But also, it turned out to be a valuable and relevant experience to have revived enough
French to enjoy reading and understanding another language without any mental translation.
Having reawakened the skill of thinking in another language, the ability shifted seamlessly
into Irish as well. I've been catching myself reading in Irish without feeling like I'm
decoding... just so long as I'm familiar with the vocabulary and grammar involved, which
makes for a pretty limited scope, but still, it's an exciting transition!

So this past couple of weeks I've studied and done all the exercises associated with
Chapter 2 of Learning Irish, including the Nancy Stenson LI Workbook exercises, as well as
the textbook translations. Ove the past month I've gotten the first two chapters of Buntús
Cainte down solid, while chapters 3 & 4 are pretty comfortable understanding wise, though I
haven't refined my pronunciation yet re: broad & slender consonants. And I'm familiarizing
myself with chapers 5 & 6 (the early chapters seem to divide into logical pairs -- does it
stay that way?).

I'm still struggling with keeping a consistent time log, though. I forget to start my timer
as often as not, and some days I work in such interspersed snatches that it's hard to time
at all (e.g. doing grammar exercises while watching a basketball game).

Which is why I started a thread asking for time logging advice:

Time Logging Thread

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3370 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 27 of 40
06 May 2015 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I've been terrible about not updating my log, though I've been studying Irish steadily,
albeit fueled by a new-found addiction to Memrise. I finished their Basic Irish course last
night (hurrah!) and moved on to Basic Irish 2. I've also been working on the Buntús Cainte
and Learning Irish Workbook courses, both of which are much longer than Basic Irish, which
is broken down into four more do-able segments.

I've been surprised how beneficial input from different Memrise courses and different books
has been for re-enforcing vocabulary, as well as triggering more curiosity about the
grammatical patterns and variations that come up. So playing an online/phone app has
motivated a bunch of grammar reading. Score!

Also, at the Irish Language Forum I
discovered that in two weeks, there was going to be an Irish language weekend event
happening about eight blocks up the hill from my house. So I am now signed up for the
Novice level day of classes at Féile Portland: a Weekend of Language and Culture
May 2015 Irish Language Weekend So
that's pretty exciting: my first opportunities to converse in Irish! It's also a chance to
connect with our local Irish cultural community, which I've wanted to do for a long time.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 28 of 40
06 May 2015 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Well done breaking into Basic Irish 2 and keeping that momentum going. I think I need to take a leaf out of your book, as I've let my Irish Duolingo reviews slide a bit lately. ;) And that "Irish Weekend "sounds like a lot of fun - I look forward to hearing how you get on mate!

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3370 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 29 of 40
11 May 2015 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Today I'm going to check in on my status with each of the different Irish language learning
media I've been working with.

Memrise:

I'm now in the middle of part 2 (of 4) of the Basic Irish series by Baas. It's been great
for introducing new grammatical challenges, which I then want to read up on in more detail
in grammar sections of my various course books.

I've been appreciating how certain books, particularly Buntús Cainte and Nancy Stenson's
workbook for LI, have Memrise courses to go along with them. This definitely helps me learn
the material.

Buntús Cainte:

Current Progress: I'm finishing up units 5 & 6, and starting to explore unit 7.

The Buntús Cainte Memrise course has made it unnecessary for me to feed BC into Anki, so
that's a great time saver. Strangely enough, I'm still finding it very helpful to segment
and transcribe the audio for each chapter (I do a lot of looped listening as I transcribe),
and I still export a few of the more challenging sentences to Anki.

Learning Irish:

Current progress: I've done chapters 1 & 2, and am working on chapters 3 & 4.

I've resisted single-word vocabulary cards, preferring learning sentences to capture more
of the language's prosody. But in LI there aren't enough example sentences with audio to
activate all the chapter's scattered vocabulary, so I think I'm going to need to use Anki
single-word vocab cards to drill on the audio of chapter's vocabulary section, particularly
before I go on to work through the Nancy Stenson LI Workbook. Otherwise my mind
makes up nonsensical pronunciations for not-entirely-familiar Gaeilge, and that's a waste
of brainpower, creating useless but persistent mental artifacts.

Gaeilge gan Stró:

Current Progress: still stalled in Chapter 1, alas

I'm unfortunately continuing to find this book's layout very distracting. It has many great
qualities, like the "key sounds" at the front of each chapter, which introduces unfamiliar
Gaeilge phonemes. But there are some irksome fails, as with the small icon indicating that
a sub-section of the chapter has accompanying audio file; its lower half contains the track
number written in miniscule spidery print in yellow on blue - perhaps OK when your eyes are
25 years old, not so much so once they're 55. Given there are many short audio tracks per
chapter, none of which are labeled, this makes me crazy. And then I start looking at all
the colorful pictures of people and think "Stock photos! You're all stock photos!"
at which point it is clearly time to go open a different book...

However, the first chapters of Gaeilge gan Stró have good stuff on introductions,
containing new wrinkles I hadn't studied yet. And I've experienced a sudden surge of
interest in learning introductions, now that I'm signed up to go to an Irish language
weekend workshop, where I am certain I will be called upon to introduce myself repeatedly.
What I need to do is stuff all this into Anki and make sure these are the next cards up.

Spoken World: Irish (Living Language) &
Teach Yourself: Complete Irish (Teach Yourself)

Current Progress: I began my Irish studies by thoroughly Anki-ing the first lesson
in each of these, then switched to working more from Living Irish and Buntús Cainte.

Lately I've come back, and have been using the audio from these books for as
listening practice with convenient transcripts and explanations. I've been doing this
with chapters 2 & 3 of each book, beginning this past week

Also, I like the grammatical explanations in both of these books, and have explored
the first 3 - 4 chapters' grammar sections as questions have come up.

Edited by tangleweeds on 11 May 2015 at 11:15am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3370 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 30 of 40
22 May 2015 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I had a great time at the Irish language weekend workshop, and it's given me a lot of ideas
I'd like to incorporate into my studies, particularly a lead on a tutor in Ireland, and the
possible resumption of a local Gaeilge practice group.

Unfortunately that was a rare bright spot in two weeks combining an unpleasant health
crisis and possible living situation upheaval, both which may only have just begun... and
my first response was "Damn it all, this could seriously cut into my Irish study time!" And
in fact, I haven't gotten much study done beyond keeping my Memrise garden watered (several
simultaneous courses worth) and getting DuoLingo caught up to where I'd left off.

I'm going to try to make more frequent but shorter posts. Especially after the Irish
workshop last weekend, I wanted to log Everything, except I found that doing writing
Everything takes Forever, so that didn't work out. I ended up writing half-finished entries
that never got posted, because before I made it to Everything and Forever, the need to
maintain daily life would invariably interfere.

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 40
22 May 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad you had a great time at the weekend workshop! How many participants were there? What about the teachers? Group size? Tell us!

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3370 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 32 of 40
26 May 2015 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Something kind of amusing happened at the Irish beginner/novice workshop: somehow we ended
up sorting ourselves into classes by gender, as the placement tests got shuffled down
underneath all the more interesting handouts. It just so happened that several of us ladies
arrived early, practically seated ourselves around the only obvious table, and started
chatting, while the gentlemen hung out in the atrium.

Imelda White, our wonderful teacher from Donegal, was seeking more information about who
she was teaching or where, when she ran across our table of six cheerfully chatting
women, so she ended up teaching us, which was our great luck. It did work out that most of
us were closer to beginners than not, but I'm afraid the interesting woman seated next to
me should have been with the other group, which turned out to have more advanced speakers.
But it also turned out that she was also learning to play the Irish tin whistle, so we got
to talk about that (I've been "learning" it for a decade! Still not quite there...), and
conversation drifted to where I got contact information for her Skype tutor in Galway, who
she says has helped her a lot (with Irish, not tin whistle).

The workshop day started doing introductions around the circle, presumably to let the
teacher gauge our comfort levels with the language. We learned a children's rhyme about
body parts, and listened to a couple of songs and studied their lyrics (she did an
excellent job on finding songs with simple/repetitive enough words). In the digestion
period after lunch, we played the card game Go Fish, which required only simple requests
and replies, and gave us practice with numbers. And at the end, she told us a story and
read it to us beautifully in Irish (though we could barely understand a word!). The next
day was for intermediate and more advanced students, so I didn't attend that one.

She had various books for us to examine, including the final four volumes (Rang 3-6) of the
graded reading series
Am Don Léamh
It turned out that Rang 3 (the lowest she brought) was just about my speed. On one page was
a story about children of the target age, framed by pictures of vocabulary items, and on
the facing page were questions to make students exercise what they had learned via the
story. On one hand these stories of well-behaved children were so bland as to create an
almost Zen state of detachment in my mind, on the other hand my language acquisition
center was dancing around singing, "I can read this! I can answer these questions!
Everything fits just right!"

So I think I'm going to order the first two volumes of this series from Litriocht.com,
which is the only Irish bookseller who reliably carries the weird stuff I want, like these
for example, or a hardcover of Foclóir Gaeilge-Bearla. They were also the source for all
five volumes of Ceol Rince na hÉireann, plus Ceol agus Rince na hÉireann, the text
to go along with the five volumes of (mostly) music notation (there's a bit text for me to
work on in those, too). Reading Ceol agus Rince na hÉireann is my ultimate "target" in
learning Irish. It's sitting right there on my shelf... waiting. The sheet music, at least,
I can read already.

Edited by tangleweeds on 26 May 2015 at 7:56am

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version