Groupie
United States
Joined 3371 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish, French

Message 34 of 40
26 May 2015 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Thanks for confirming that. I had thought it was out of print, but then saw it on a web
shop where I was looking for something else, then I forgot all about it.

Speaking of out of print, I've been having a crazy time trying to get a copy of Bairbre
McCarthy's Favourite Irish Legends in Irish and English, ISBN 9781856351867
I've found it and clicked "order" from four (4!) different sellers, and each time
something has gont wrong, from the book being missing in the store, missing in the
mail, just sold out last week, to a disappearing fraudulent seller (my first, in years
of web shopping).

So I'm reduced to begging in public: if anyone has a copy you'd be willing to sell me,
email me via gmail, using the same username as I have here on the forum. This book
(or its absence) has been making me crazy!

Edited by tangleweeds on 26 May 2015 at 3:32am

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4484 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 35 of 40
26 May 2015 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
http://www.bairbremccarthy.com/Favourite_Irish_Legends.html

I know the Amazon 3rd party sellers are hit or miss and I see they're marking it way up. Currently one reasonable
offer at bn.com, though.

ButI would have figured the website above, being associated with the author, should get the job done? Or is this
the scam site?

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3371 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 36 of 40
26 May 2015 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Thanks, I hadn't found the author's own site yet, and with a dual-language CD possibly
available too! That's so cool, I'm extra excited, but also extra frustrated at the moment,
though, since this month's book budget has already been stretched. On the unexpectedly
successful book-hunter front, I seem to have scored a copy of de Bhaldraith's OOP English to
Irish dictionary, but I'm also now waiting on two different refunds for Favorite Irish
Legends.

Let's hope Ms. McCarthy has a sufficiently large box of these guys in her basement!

ETA: I've emailed the author to check whether the book and/or CD are still available from her.
The Buy links on her site lead to a printable form with a mailing address.

Edited by tangleweeds on 26 May 2015 at 3:32am

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3371 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 37 of 40
28 May 2015 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
I haven't heard back from Ms. McCarthy, but I did hear back from the Abebooks seller whose
shipment to me got lost in the mail. He had an extra copy of the book that he's expediting to
me. So it's a happy day here in the lair of tangleweeds.

It also turns out that the possible sudden need to move has become unlikely, so I can calm
down and get back to studying. When I first mentioned the possible move, the stress had me
down to bare maintenance on Memrise and Duolingo, then I lost focus for even that. So I
declared it a vacation from all my courses, making time to write about the workshop, watch
Irish language videos on Youtube and TG4, translate simple conversations at the Irish Language
forum, and track down my workshop companion's Irish tutor -- not to mention obsessively
hunting down Favorite Irish Legends in Irish and English.

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3371 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 38 of 40
29 May 2015 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Today my fresh new copy of de Bhaldraithe's English-Irish Dictionary arrived, which I had
ordered from the Book Depository during a brief window when a new paperback copy cost $20. Not
long after I ordered mine, they were again unavailable, and haven't come back...

...yet. Mine was published this year, according to this info from the copyright page:
Quote:
An Séú Cló Déag 2015
So my guess is that there are more in the pipeline.

I probably got an advance copy with all errata intact!

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3371 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 39 of 40
03 June 2015 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I've failed to post about five half-written log entries, though a couple flourished once
transferred to my personal journal. I'm going to keep this one simple and get it posted.

Five star Abebooks seller Castle Rock priority mailed me a replacement copy of Favorite
Irish Legends in Irish and English, as the first one they sent me got lost in the mail. It
is written simply enough that I can, dictionary in hand, puzzle out the grammar and
logistics of what is being described. It's still very intensive reading, maybe a paragraph
per day, but I'm still very much a beginner.

I had been craving non-textbook written Irish all week, enough that I had been reading the
bilingual TEG A1 syllabus.
(available here)
It was cool and meta to figure out the descriptions in Irish of the linguistic skills I am
being taught in all the standard modern courses that follow the common European language-
teaching framework. And bilingual material is interesting to my beginner-ness because it
demonstrates how differently English and Irish do their grammar, then that makes me curious
to explore my grammar books (and I enjoy grammar, so it's all fun).

But Favorite Irish Legends is way more fun than Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge Siollabas
Bhonnleibhéal 1 (A1).
2 persons have voted this message useful

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3371 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 

Message 40 of 40
06 June 2015 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
Whether I will need to move this summer remains unresolved, and it's been making me crazy.
I'm having major trouble settling down with any of my language courses, and instead have
been seeking out chunks of real world bilingual Irish/English to gnaw on. I have Favorite
Irish Legends, which is clearly and simply written to help a learner read, then there's the
entertainingly meta TEG A1 syllabus, and today I did some photocopy/enlarging to the Irish
and English language introductions to Ceol Rince na hÉireann. In case anyone is curious,
these are a five volume, government sponsored compilation of traditional dance music
collected around Ireland. It's mostly standard music notation, but the introduction
should have some useful vocabulary relevant to traditional music (which was what got
me into the whole Irish thing... blame it all on the tin whistle). This is the hardest
thing I've tried reading so far, but I'm enjoying the more complicated grammar.

Also, since I've been so drawn to reading, I've been working hard at improving my grasp
Irish pronunciation rules, with much recourse to the pronunciation database at teanglann.ie
I've reviewed the pronunciation rules and audio files for my various courses, but for some
reason this video (& handout) really tied things together for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=oIokUII7LX0

Edited by tangleweeds on 06 June 2015 at 9:49am

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version