Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3879 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 12
21 February 2015 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if my topic has already been dealt with, but I haven't found anything
about it...

After trying different strategies (focusing 100% on one single language for several
months; studying many languages at the same time, and everyday; ...) I am tempted to
try another method: I seem to learn better when I focus on only one language, and seem
to really make impressive progress when focusing extremely on only one language, even
though I love using different languages everyday, and I am the sort of person who likes
changes (I for example prefer to study 2 exams instead of 1 during one day in my study
period). Thus, I was wondering if I would not try to study one single language hard
(for now I'm doing intensive Dutch) and, instead of doing that for a couple of months,
changing the language every coupld of weeks (maybe 4 weeks, max 6, I haven't really
thought about a precise number). I would thus change regularly, changing from strong
language (Dutch currently at C1) to weaker ones like Spanish for example (currently at
+-B1), of German/Italien (currently at +-A2).

Has anyone tried it? If yes, what happened regarding the levels in the other languages?
and what happened regarding the level obtained after those intensive weeks, and how did
the languages evolve after switching the language?

BTW, when I say "intensive study", I mean spending most of the free time using the
language, reading 1-2 hours a day, and more if it's possible of course, listening to
the radio when walking, and talking to ourself in the language as well (something that
has helped my English and Dutch (and even Spanish) immensely). The goal is thus to be
immersed in the language, at such a point that words and phrases are flying when going
to sleep and we just can't stop this flow and can't sleep before an hour in bed.
1 person has voted this message useful

liam.pike1
Groupie
Australia
Joined 3541 days ago

84 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 12
22 February 2015 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Ah, I'll be doing French and Spanish simultaneously now, so I'll be interested to get some responses from the
forum members...

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6992 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 12
22 February 2015 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
I will be very interested in how this goes for you.

I would also like to hear your testimony on the "one language for several months" and "studying may
languages at the same time eveyday" went for you.   Also, did your results differ from what you expected?

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6369 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 4 of 12
22 February 2015 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Seems pretty sensible. I'm sure nothing will happen to your "neglected" languages in a couple of weeks. I've neglected languages for up to a year with so significant adverse effects.

Another thing you can try, which is the direction I've been going towards, is having one "focus language" at a time, meaning you spend most of the study time on that signle language, but doing a little bit in your other languages, to break the monotony and keep them developing slowly at the side.

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3879 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Dutch, Portuguese, Esperanto, German, Italian, Spanish

Message 5 of 12
22 February 2015 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
@luke:
To answer you first question: When I began learning language, the first language I
studied was English, and I wasn't at all into more than English at the moment. I just
had to improve it for school. I did an intensive period, but I don't recall the
precise duration. It was somewhere in a year, and I progressively began speaking all
the time in English (I liked it actually), and I began to read books, progressively,
because my level was very weak at the beginning. But after some time I went so far as
to read min 100 pages (harry potter) a day, for every single day of my holidays
(christmas, and all the others). So of course, if you read in the 1500 pages in 2
weeks, and you spend 90% of your day doing that, something HAS to happen. I also
watched all harry potters, and after something like one year, I went from +- A2 (maybe
even less actually) to somewhere in the B2.
a year or so after that, when I saw no more improvement in my English, and was weak in
Dutch, I did the same (although with less motivation, and it took far more time). It
took me maybe 2 years to go from A1-A2 to a weak B2.

To answer to your second question, I tried recently to study up to 8 languages (English
, C1, university; Dutch, C1, university; Spanish, B1, 1 course a week at the uni;
Italian, A2, 1 course a week at the uni + a bit of reading and podcast; German, A2, 1
course a week at the uni+ mostly podcast; ancien greec, 1 course a week at the uni;
latin (total beginner), 1 course a week at the uni; and finally esperanto, a bit of
lernu, on average 20 min a day)
I tried this for 2 weeks before stopping. I realised that 1) I didn't have the time to
work on them every day (and manage my normal study programme) and 2) I didn't improve
at all in most languages (latin, ancien greec, esperanto, Spanish). I just noticed a
slight progress in Italian and German, the languages I most focused on.
Seeing this, I decided to use my time better and drop the weak languages to focus on
only 1. Furthermore, because of some problems, I have to take 40% more courses in my
study programme, and cannot afford much time for more languages

@Ari: I could try that, but I think that, to improve enough, I need to really focus on
just one. If I worked, for example, on 30 min of some language, along with a hard focus
on another one, I don't think the 30 min be useful. I tried this 6 months ago (full
focus on German while studying 20-30 min of Italian, and realized I never retained
anything the next day...)

Of course, all those experiences work that way for me. It could, however, work for
other people, such as Moses (laoshu), whose multiple-languages-at-the-same-time work
perfectly

So I realize that, to notice masse improvement, I need to bombard my brain with one
single language. I have done it for a couple of days, and had problems falling asleep
yesterday, because I had sentences making themselves in my mind, and couldn't stop
wondering which article went with some words when I had hesitations, or how to
translate some words. I have had the same thing whenever I focused a lot on a language,
be it English, Dutch, Spanish, or German
4 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4308 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 6 of 12
23 February 2015 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Why such long periods between changes, 4-6 weeks sounds like sports periodization? Does it
take you so long to get into the flow? I'm naturally switching between target languages
more or less randomly, with periods ranging from days to weeks (like "watch a TV series" or
"read a book", then move on). But my workload also fluctuates quite a bit depending on
outside factors and current interest. Not sure if there is an optimum span... (I personally
don't care much though).

Edited by daegga on 23 February 2015 at 12:25am

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3879 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 

Message 7 of 12
23 February 2015 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Well, I only need a couple of days to get into
the flow (I'd say 2, max 3) but getting
into the flow is one thing, using it to make
significant progress is another one.
Furthermore, you can indeed easily get into
the flow within a day in languages you can
already handle, if you want to just read a
book, but what about a language where you are
at A2, or even A1? Not sure that studying it
by 3—days periods would be long enough to
remember the language and assimil its grammar.

During the summer holiday I had the
opportunity to take part to a 19-day event in
the
Netherland, with other student from all over
the world, all learning Dutch as well, and
teachers. The golden rule was to use only
Dutch. Well, I quickly got into the flow, but
I
still had to wait for some time to begin
noticing the progress. It's only by the end of
the stay that I realized I was having
difficulties using English as I could do
before the
stay. That's where I realized how much easier
it was for me to use Dutch. So it did take
me something like 2 weeks.

Edited by guiguixx1 on 23 February 2015 at 12:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

guiguixx1
Octoglot
Belgium
guillaumelp.wordpres
Joined 3879 days ago

163 posts - 207 votes 

Message 8 of 12
24 February 2015 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Has anybody tried intensive periods with varying lengths of time and varying levels in
the language? It is true that having very short intensive periods (1-2 days) can be
useful in a strong language that hasn't been used for a long time, but it wouldn't be
useful with weak language... For that, a period of several weeks, or rather several
months, and no shorter, would be useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version