17 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Greek*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 9 of 19
07 March 2015 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Lexin online at least has tones indicated:

http://lexikon.nada.kth.se/lexin/#searchinfo=to,swe_gre,hall on;

All Lexin's dictionaries can be bought in a paper copy (they're intended for immigrants learning Swedish).

That looks great and it's in my native language. I'll contact with them for the details

Tack!
1 person has voted this message useful

MK
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3376 days ago

17 posts - 19 votes

Message 10 of 19
07 March 2015 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
MK wrote:
FSI Swedish...? I'm sorry, but i'm not aware of it. Is it online?

http://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/swedish.html

Wow, it's a great book but unfortunately none of these "tapes" is playing. I get the message that the file is corrupted.

Anyway, i have two or three options and i'll decide shortly

Many thanks to all!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 19
07 March 2015 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
I have checked my Swedish-something dictionaries, and there are a few pronunciations in my fat Gyldendal Swedish-Danish and a resonably extensive coverage in my Langenscheidt Taschenwörterbuch Swedish-German(-Swedish). I haven't studied the pronunciation directives in those dictionaries in detail, but the caveats mentioned by Rameau probably apply even for dictionaries published outside Sweden.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 12 of 19
11 March 2015 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
MK wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
MK wrote:

Wow, it's a great book but unfortunately none of these "tapes" is playing. I get the message that the file is corrupted.

[...]

That’s strange: I’ve just checked them and they work for me. Try downloading them again, maybe it was just a temporary glitch.

To get back to Swedish pronunciation:

In post 5 Tarvos gave the example “va sa du” as the common pronunciation of “vad sade du”. If you are interested in this kind of descriptive rather than prescriptive pronunciation guide, the only beginners textbook that I know of which tackles this aspect consistently is Rivstart by Paula Levy Scherrer and Karl Lindemalm. I’m aware that you were looking for a dictionary and this is a textbook and one not meant for self-learners to boot, but I’m not very confident that you’ll be able to find a dictionary that answers all the prerequisites you listed in your opening post.

As the other posters have already written, I can confirm that bilingual paper dictionaries don’t usually offer any pronunciation advice and many don’t even give you the gender and plural forms, so you’d better be careful before buying and make sure that you’ve found the right dictionary for you.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 19
11 March 2015 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
...and I'm pretty convinced that no dictionary offers any clues regarding pitch accents either, whether it's isolated words or compound words.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4456 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 14 of 19
12 March 2015 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
...and I'm pretty convinced that no dictionary offers any clues regarding pitch accents either, whether it's isolated words or compound words.
Lexin does.

hallon [²h'al:ån] LYSSNA subst.

〈hallon, hallonet, hallon, hallonen〉

(bär av) buskväxten Rubus idaeus

malina   

http://lexikon.nada.kth.se/lexin/#searchinfo=to,swe_hrv,hall on;

So does Pons:

http://en.pons.com/translate?q=hallon&l=desv&in=&lf=de

hallon <‑et, ‑> [ˇhalɔn]

hallon
    Himbeeren

Edited by Medulin on 12 March 2015 at 12:38am

3 persons have voted this message useful

MK
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3376 days ago

17 posts - 19 votes

Message 15 of 19
12 March 2015 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
MK wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
MK wrote:

[...]

That’s strange: I’ve just checked them and they work for me. Try downloading them again, maybe it was just a temporary glitch.

To get back to Swedish pronunciation:

In post 5 Tarvos gave the example “va sa du” as the common pronunciation of “vad sade du”. If you are interested in this kind of descriptive rather than prescriptive pronunciation guide, the only beginners textbook that I know of which tackles this aspect consistently is Rivstart by Paula Levy Scherrer and Karl Lindemalm. I’m aware that you were looking for a dictionary and this is a textbook and one not meant for self-learners to boot, but I’m not very confident that you’ll be able to find a dictionary that answers all the prerequisites you listed in your opening post.

As the other posters have already written, I can confirm that bilingual paper dictionaries don’t usually offer any pronunciation advice and many don’t even give you the gender and plural forms, so you’d better be careful before buying and make sure that you’ve found the right dictionary for you.

Unfortunately, the problem still remains. Anyway, this is the less important to me right now...

Ok, thank you for suggestion :) Well, i have Nya Mål 1, where i can find some words but i needed a dictionary where all words are gathered.

This looks quite strange to me :) as when i was studying English (or French) i didn't have any problem with the dictionary (either in English -> English -> Greek or French -> Greek and vice versa).

But, where all you people learn swedish pronunciation, etc...Just by using the online dictionaries and textbooks?

I understand that Swedish is a little bit different and that has to do with the differents dialects, but since there are sites (such as lexin.se) showing the pronunciation why should not be a paper copy too.

I contacted with bokus.com placing the same question and asking for their suggestions....and i received the following reply

"Yes, it is the most complete dictionaries we have" (...they were referring to the following titles)

Norstedts grekiska ordbok

Norstedts stora engelska ordbok

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 19
13 March 2015 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Bokus have printed dictionaries from Lexin, e.g. http://www.bokus.com/bok/9789185128587/svenska-ord-med-uttal -och-forklaringar-28500-ord/

There is a svenskt-grekiskt lexikon at the Lexin site:
http://www.sprakochfolkminnen.se/om-oss/publikationer/bestal lningsformular/lexikon-pa-minoritetssprak.html

There is contact info at the bottom of the page.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version