Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 9 of 21
15 March 2015 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
French
Today was a mixed day.
I finished animals and adjectives on Duolingo which was rather funny than helpful. Really...
the animals eat
strange things there and I am now a whale, a lion, a rabbit, a butterfly and many other
animals... Who makes up these sentences??
Nonetheless I laughed a lot and learned a few animals... Or at least I heard of them now. I
didn't remember all of them, but I'm not sure I need to know them all at the moment...

I also tried French without toil on the train on Friday. As I only had my ebook reader and was
on the train I could not do much. I listened to the audio and read the dialogues. I completly
understood them as I thought. I think I'll continue and take the early lessons for
pronunciation and see where I start to get something new.

I also flipped through the Teach Yourself book (or rather the lextra version of it) and I think I
won't bother. The course has a horrible structure in my opinion. Boring dialogues, boring
exercises, too much German on the audio cds and way below my level. Ok I knew that it was
below my level, but with a better structure and so I thought it'd be nice to review and
listen/repeat the dialogues. It is not. But I didn't spend much time with it to find out. I also
find the topics rather irrelevant to me.

plans for next week
- Finding a way how to use french without toil and do that
-> maybe I make anki cards from sentences with grammar structure and articles etc. I'm still
struggling with the articles. I don't know why as we have them in German and they are not
always different... maybe it was only because of English-French translation on Duolingo
- continue duolingo
- start watching French in Action (I'm not sure whether to get the workbooks/textbooks as
I'm not sure where (except for 'free' online links))
- listen to podcasts: learn Spanish by podcast (maybe test others I found)
- grammar exercises (grammaire progressive du Francais - intermediaire)
- read "en Bretagne" if it's good :D

I might buy some exercise books where I can write into instead of writing everything from
the book. It maybe good to write everything (1. in order to be able to do it again and 2. to
learn the whole sentences) but for practicing it's also good to own the book to be able to
use it whenever I like and don't have to give it back to the library...
I'm curious how much I know from the intermediate grammar.

English
plans
- get a grammar exercise book to review grammar. I want to test me as I haven't studied
grammar in years. I read a lot and watch tv, but I'm curious whether I know the correct
answer in these books. Maybe I'll do a test sometime :) Thinking about going abroad and
therefore i might need to pass a certain level
- start reading the papers for my bachelor thesis.
- get some book on academic writing. It can't hurt to read about it. It was one of the things I
want to focus on even though I haven't made up my mind whether to write the thesis in
English or German. But it'll be a whil until I start writing, so I have a bit time to think and
prepare.
- get a novel to read. It's been a while since I read my last English novel.

Edited by Komma on 15 March 2015 at 9:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 10 of 21
15 March 2015 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
I just read the first few pages of "en bretagne". It was very interesting. i think this will be
good to read
through. Informative and quite at my level of passive knowledge. The only thing that's a pity
is that only
the dialogues are on the CD and some listening exersices. But they are quite well done. And
there are no
solutions to the exercises, but that's not a big problem for me.

I also just found this youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/imagiers/videos
I searched for a video on liaison
and found it very well made.

Edited by Komma on 16 March 2015 at 9:38pm

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 11 of 21
16 March 2015 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
le lundi 16 mars 2015

Today I did a little bit of french and way to much of searching and reading threads of the forum on how to learn this and how to use this
method/ course and which course to use and why and when. I know i'm wasting my time as I don't DO what I find out but searching for
more. However, it's all so very interesting and the forum is huge.

I finished three skills on Duolingo: Plurals, être/avoir, clothing. I didn't know everything even though this are still basic skills at Duolingo,
but the reason for that is that I either forgot because it wasn't important to me or I haven't learned it because it wasn't important at
school. Anyway, as Duolingo is just to get into the language and translate a bit I don't put those words into anki. Also I still find them all
important.

I also worked with French without toil. I kind of shadowed (or tried to/started to shadow) the first two lessons. Not like Prof.Arguelles is
doing this, but sitting in my room. I also read the sentence while talking and listening. I'm not sure whether that is intended, but I can't
remember the dialogue right away and reading it while speaking is easier. I'm not sure whether it's worth to memorize the dialogues. I
don't think I'll use the sentences like they are in these lessons..
I also listened to and read lesson 3 and noticed that the audio is slightly different from the text (got both from the internet... so that is no
real surprise).
As I understand the lessons very well I think I'll do more at a time, but also keep shadowing the previous ones.
I don't think that I could translate from English to French or know all the words/sentences of these lessons actively, but I understand them
and that's what the passive wave is about, isn't it? (If the old assimil had this passive wave.. I have not found a description of the method
in the text..)
At least it seems I've found some way to use French without toil :)

I'm just starting to really enjoy my learning adventure. There is so much I can do.

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 12 of 21
18 March 2015 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
le mardi 17 et le mercredi 18 mars 2015

What I did:
- Duolingo: Colors, possessives, demonstratives 1, present 1
- Assimil: Französisch ohne Mühe (French with ease), lesson 1
-> I listened to the lesson a few times, then read through and then shadowed. I'm not sure
       whether I do the shadowing correctly and I'm probably don't do it enough, but I think it
       helps to just talk while the CD is running.

What I learned
- that the possessives match the thing being owned and the number of people who own
something. I quite forgot that one and I should do some grammar exercises on it maybe.

Other stuff
I also found out that the function "printable version" at the bottom of each site shows the
whole thread and not only the page that is being viewed. Concerning the forum troubles this
is very handy for saving interesting content from a whole thread (like my log for example)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 21
20 March 2015 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
Hi, Komma, I would have sworn I had already posted on your log, obviously not.

Welcome to the French team, that's the first and foremost thing I wanted to tell you
:-)

About a few things you mentioned and asked about:

A good advanced English grammar book: English Grammar in Use by Murphy and Advanced
Grammar in Use by Hewings are really good, a bit similar in style to Grammaire
Progressive. But there are many more options these days for sure. The blue
one/EGiU/the second tome of the series, had been sufficient for CAE. The
green/AGiU/the last tome is probably covering everything an advanced learner could
feel intrigued to know. It would be actually good for me to return to these as well
but there are only 24 hours in a day.

Grammaire Progressive. It is one of the absolutely best language learning series I've
found so far across my languages. It is much more than just further practice, if you
consider buying just one thing as a reference+practice+awesome resource, get a
Grammaire Progressive-the level now appropriate for you ;-) Really, I am that excited
about this series, which is pretty rare. There is as well Vocabulaire series and
others, Communication looks good as well, cannot speak about the rest.

Assimil. There are more versions, the without Toil is probably an older one. The
German one you're trying might be better or you might like another combination of
older/newer version + German/English base.

Duolingo. It is an awesome practice tool. However, be careful when using it as your
main resource, perhaps someone else will tell you more about the French version.
However, the German one appears to be awesome, the content more or less corresponds to
my other sources, while the Spanish one is weird in several ways, in my opinion.

You might like this site, if you haven't found it already:
http://www.rfi.fr/lffr/statiques/accueil_apprendre.asp

And this is a good tool, it might even work for you better than the TY course that you
mentioned you didn't like, even though some of their marketing practices are not nice
(kings of spam). frenchpod101.com

2 persons have voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 

Message 14 of 21
20 March 2015 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Cavesa for welcoming me and for your detailed response.
You have posted on my Spanish Log last year I think ;) I made a new one for French.

Cavesa wrote:
A good advanced English grammar book: English Grammar in Use by
Murphy and Advanced
Grammar in Use by Hewings are really good, a bit similar in style to Grammaire
Progressive. But there are many more options these days for sure. The blue
one/EGiU/the second tome of the series, had been sufficient for CAE. The
green/AGiU/the last tome is probably covering everything an advanced learner could
feel intrigued to know. It would be actually good for me to return to these as well
but there are only 24 hours in a day.

I read about that one, but thanks for also referring to it. I always waited for the advanced
one to be free in the library (it's always borrowed). But I think I should rather buy it. That
way it's always here and I can write into it :)

Cavesa wrote:
Grammaire Progressive. It is one of the absolutely best language learning
series I've
found so far across my languages. It is much more than just further practice, if you
consider buying just one thing as a reference+practice+awesome resource, get a
Grammaire Progressive-the level now appropriate for you ;-) Really, I am that excited
about this series, which is pretty rare. There is as well Vocabulaire series and
others, Communication looks good as well, cannot speak about the rest.

:D I smiled while reading as your excitment is quite obvious here.. I got the intermediaire
and advanced from the library. I found it by chance, but same as for the English grammar I
should buy it. But before I test the different versions and make up my mind, which is better
for me at the moment and whether they cover different aspects or just the same with
different depth..

Cavesa wrote:
Assimil. There are more versions, the without Toil is probably an older one.
The
German one you're trying might be better or you might like another combination of
older/newer version + German/English base.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with "you might like another combination of..."
My aim was to do both the old and the new one. As they are very different I think it's quite
interesting to go through both. With different I mean different stories. Maybe the old one
has old-fashioned french. Was that the reason you said the German one is better? Or
because my native language is German?
As for this English language base: It is sometimes a bit strange. I also realize in Duolingo.
Instead of translating to English I translate to German sometimes...
However, I think that English as base for learning is not bad and as there are sometimes
more resources in English I'll do a mix of English and German base.

As for Duolingo: I really like it because it mostly doesn't feel like learning. But I'm not using
that as my only resource. My log might display that but that's more my lazyness...

RFI: I don't know whether it's the site or my browser, but it always crashes when I tried. (Ok
it crashes when i tried to listen to the radio thing... maybe your site is better.. I'll try with
another browser later)

Thanks again for your post Cavesa. I'll stop at your log soon. :)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4821 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 21
20 March 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
That explains my confusion, this is a new log :-)

Well about my weird excitement about the Grammaire Progressive: as I had to get
through some classes and formal teaching in past as well, I've seen so much crap
material and pieces from this series were always the most useful papers of all those
copies we were getting. And much later I got my own books, even though some of them
perhaps a bit late :-D

About the various versions of Assimil: If you plan to do both (which I hadn't
understood from your log before), than the choice is much simpler, otherwise there
tend to be people who enjoy the newer version of any Assimil more ("up to date
language") and some who stick to the old ones ("the new one does have less content").
But you chose the third way, to do both.

About the various language versions: I find using a Spanish based Assimil German to be
a different experience from my previous attempts with the French based one. It's not
just about the fact each was a different version. The different base languages don't
include just another translation. THere are pieces of grammar that are clearly meant
to specificaly help the native speaker of the base language, the pronunciation notes
are different and so on.

So, I start to think that the choice of a base language is just a matter of personal
preference, that's why I mentioned it might be worth it to have a look at both. But as
you are a German native speaker, your choice might already be totally clear. It's
funny I sometimes forget other people have a useful native language so some of my
usual "dilemmas" may appear totally strange to them :-)

Stop by whenever you want, teammate :-) But don't let it keep you from your studies,
my posts tend to be too lengthy :-D

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5288 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 16 of 21
25 March 2015 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Hi Komma,

I've been meaning to drop by and say: 'hi and welcome to the French team'

I hope this year is a great one for you! (language learning and otherwise)

PM

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version