Diglot
Germany
Joined 3881 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 17 of 21
12 April 2015 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
*sigh* It's been a while again. I've been very busy with Easter and starting the new semester
at University where I'm currently doing my Bachelor thesis.

French
I haven't been doing much lately, but I signed up for a French course. It's a double course
with 3 hours of French a week (maybe a bit disadvatagous that it's only one 3h lesson and
not two 1,5h lessons, but I'll see). I'm very curious whether this course will be good or not. I
didn't like the Spanish course at university. There was a native speaker which is good, but as I
didn't understand much it was hard to follow sometimes and we only did exercises from the
book and so. I could do that at home as well. With French however, I understand it better
and maybe i learn more of the course that I could not learn at home (as pronunciation.
Which is better to have a native speaker correcting one. I'm not sure how many students will
be there though.. and whether there is much time for speaking.)

What I did
What I have been doing since the last entry is Assimil. I listend+read (/shadowed) lesson 1
and 2 and started with lesson 3.
I also got a copy of vocabulaire progressif niveau debutant. It might have been a bad idea to
get the beginner book as I seem to know much of it. I only had the table of contents to
judge and there were some topics that we hadn't discussed at school. I haven't really worked
with the book though.

Plan for next week
- first lesson of the university course. no idea what we will do there.
- Assimil: lessons 3-5 plus repeating 1 and 2 (I always listen to all the previous lessons before
doing the next)
- Grammaire progressive intermédiaire: chapters 1-3
- Vocabulaire progressif débutant: chapters 1-2

English
I haven't been studying actively, however, I read a few papers on topics I work with in my
bachelor thesis. It's always frustrating to read them and see that I have so huge problems
with them. It's just the combination of scientific English and the fact that the content is
mostly new. I need to understand both the language and the content and this is hard and I
get carried away so easily.

Plan for next week
- reread the papers. I have to understand them anyway and I might analyse some scientific
phrases. But understanding is more important
- read: A first course to Electrode Processes. I don't need to read it completly next week. Just
a bit.
- advanced grammar in use. start. (I just saw it being available in the bib. I hope it still is
when I go there.
- flip through and read a few paragraphs of Swan's practical English usage. I kind of like the
book.
- what I actually do all the time: watch tv shows. This is not really learning to me. I love
watching them and English sounds so much better. I'm currently watching Sabrina the
teenage witch and might continue with Friends when I finished it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4831 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 21
12 April 2015 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Komma, good to hear from you again.

Well, I wouldn't see it as a a pure disadvantage that your class is 3h long instead of
having two shorter ones. While I am mostly sceptic about classes (to your example: the
pronunciation tends to be hurt by the classmates more than helped by the teacher
usually, from my experience), it could work as a sort of immersion if the teacher is
good and knows how to keep the class alive and totally in French. I find that it
matters less in such classes whether or not the teacher is a native speaker. More
important is their teaching skill, which is a rarer quality. I wish you good luck and
3h long immersion sessions every week.

I know most people favor the approach of smaller doses more often but I find the large
doses very useful. Who knows, perhaps you'll like the 3h long stays in the language
even more than the usual structure. Do you already know the curriculum and the course
you're gonna follow in the class?

About the voc. prog.: You might not be that disappointed in the end. The contents are
not that different for all the levels, after all the topics are pretty wide. With this
series, I have often found it useful to use the levels "below me" as well as there
were always good exemples, at least one interesting sentence per doublepage and
refreshing review of what had been catching dust somewhere deep in my brain. And it is
always an option to go through two (or all three) levels at once, so that you get a
more complete image of the topic.

I wish you a pleasant week and not that much worries with your bachelor thesis. You'll
surely through the creating process successfully. Do you write it in German or
English?

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3881 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 19 of 21
03 May 2015 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Again it's been some time since my last entry. This time though I haven't been doing
nothing.

French
Although not in the week I wanted to be done with the tasks, I did them except for Assimil.
Haven't been doing that lately.
I tried to do a bit of French every day which I only failed on Saturdays and on the last two
days which I have met friends and actually did nothing at all.

The grammar book is fun, but I tend to just flip through most of the tasks because I have the
feeling they are too easy. I know I shouldn't do it, because I'm sure I'll still make mistakes
there..
The vocab book also is good and has phrases and words I haven't heard about. I'm still
considering to set up Anki, but this needs a bit more time to type the words in and using it
with only about 20 words is quite useless..

I've already had 3 course lessons. As expected it is not very good. The teacher mostly goes
through the book and we do everything in order. I could do this at home as well. It is nice to
listen to the teacher though.
Most annoying is the excercise of each lesson where we have to work in groups and do
something and then we have to present it. This just needs about 30-60 minutes (depending
on the task) to present the results as the teacher takes every wrong sentence and corrects it
and makes suggestions how to say it in different words. Which is not bad, but very
exhausting. Because, of course, no-one speaks a good french. (I didn't expect that, but still..)
I will continue though, because I get credits for my chemistry degree (we have to do some
soft skill stuff)
And 3 hours is a VERY long time for a course lesson! It's exhausting.
Learning on my own is so much better :D

Plan for next week
(I try to report more often and count my hours of learning because of the 6 week challenge
where I signed up)
- Assimil: lessons 3-5 plus repeating 1 and 2 (haven't done this since the last time)
- Grammaire progressive intermédiaire: chapters 4-6
- Vocabulaire progressif débutant: chapters 3-5

English
I reread some of the papers which I really needed at the moment and every time I read I
understand a bit more. This is good :)
I also watched tv shows, as expected.

I did not read the Swan book and did not do grammar. But I now got advanced and
'standard' grammar in use. And as we have a nice activity running in the Advanced English
team I'll do one double page per day of the advanced grammar (at least)

Plan for next week
- do a double page of advanced grammar every day.

@Cavesa:
We follow the course "Le nouveau taxi 2" and doing the last two thirds of the course.
And you were totally right about the vocab.
For the grammar though I think the intermediaire was quite right for me. The things that are
taught in the basic course will be clear to me after finishing that one I think (and I don't want
to buy it and then flip through the exercises because I'm bored.)

As for my thesis. I think I'll do it in German. It's my first bigger work and I want to learn how
to do this without also struggling with the language. There will be time to do that in my
master thesis.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4831 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 21
03 May 2015 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Congrats to continuing with your plan, that is inspiring! Completing quite all that
you had planned, that is something I constantly struggle with :-)

"The grammar book is fun", that's the spirit! :-) What I love the most about them is
the versatility. YOu take what you need and do other things later, no fixed order
necessary. I recommend doing the "easy" exercises as well, one gets surprised by the
mistakes and even just repeating what you know with an easy way to check, that can be
useful. It's better to cover basic gaps as an intermediate than years later, from my
experience. One feels less ashamed.

Getting corrections is great, but I see what you find frustrating about the loooooong
group work. I hated those in the last classes I attended (German, a few years ago,
intensive class) and I think those should be banned in the beginner (and many
intermediate) classes at all as you mostly combine your mistakes with those of others.
And not everyone in class is usually fun to work on such tasks with. When you get
someone with similar tastes to yours, who uses sense of humour etc, it is good. When
you are with someone unpleasant, it becomes hell.

But you get credits, yay!

Le nouveau taxi series is used by some of the better language schools here but I
didn't like it in a bookshop. It can work if supplemented heavily, which is exactly
what you are doing, sure. I wish you lots of progress!

I wish you lots of strength for the thesis :-)

By the way, would you have any good German science website recommendation? I am not a
chemist, even though I know some as a medicine student (probably more than an average
philosophy student), but I am looking for some good German stuff. Documentaries,
blogs, science and popular science articles... would you know any, please?

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5298 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 21 of 21
25 August 2015 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Hi Komma,

Are you still learning French? Haven't seen you about for some time. Many of us
(certainly not all) are now over at the alternative how-to-learn-any-language.org site.
Catch us there! (or continue here if you prefer) :)

PM

Edit: I found you in the challenges section !

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 25 August 2015 at 5:31am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version