Diglot
France
Joined 3641 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 35
18 March 2015 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
The french was made by a Canadian speaker: canadian accent and sometimes a strange way to use the prepositions (considered as mistakes in France)
So for me, it's Glossika canadian french and not Glossika french.
4 persons have voted this message useful

redflag
Australia
Joined 3641 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 10 of 35
18 March 2015 at 5:42am | IP Logged 
*shrug* Makes really no difference for my purposes.
1 person has voted this message useful

saraynachan
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 3695 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, FrenchB2
Studies: Italian, Russian, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 11 of 35
19 March 2015 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I've purchased Finnish, German (Russian version) and Hungarian (French version) recently from Glossika and
found them an incredibly useful resource for especially my listening comprehension.

After listening to the first 2000 Finnish sentences, I sometimes catch myself thinking in simple Finnish phrases
(but I hear them in the Finnish speaker's voice :p) and I've noticed an increasing understanding of Finnish
videos on youtube.

However, one of the downsides is that there are indeed errors in the ebooks. I haven't finished the Hungarian
one, but here's an example:

French : As-tu soif ? Oui, j'ai soif.
Hungarian: Szomjas vagy? Nem, nem vagyok. (which is the opposite of the French text)

At least it's very obvious even for a beginner. Apart from sporadic translation errors, I'm very happy with my
Glossika products and their service. I hope this helps!

Edited by saraynachan on 19 March 2015 at 3:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4488 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 12 of 35
20 March 2015 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
I'm using Glossika for Mandarin Chinese and I have found it to be great. It's not learning in the typical sense and you don't really notice the progression you're making at first, but I have noticed significant increases in my listening comprehension and my verbal fluidity after about a month in.

I recommend it, but as stated previously, it is not a stand alone course, but a complimentary piece.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 35
23 March 2015 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
GLOSSIKA: THE PRODUCT
Glossika is a collection of 3,000 recorded sentences (pattern drills, substitution drills, transformation drills), of increasing difficulty, that are meant to supplement one's existing, preferred language-learning method. The approach is remotely similar to the pattern drills of the FSI method. However, whereas the FSI drills are often designed to highlight specific grammatical constructions or vocabulary, the Glossika drills take on something of a random appearance, reflecting the authors' belief that this approach is more effective in training students for the rigours of rapid conversation.

The recorded sentences are presented in a total of four sets as:

I. Mass Sentences
Set A files:  English 1x, Target language 2x
Set B files:  English 1x, Space - Target language 1x
Set C files: Target language only 1x, and

II. Spaced Repetition
Set A: a quick cycling of the Massed Sentences above

The audio files can be ordered either independently of, or with, the PDF file that contains a transcript of the recorded sentences and a translation in the learner’s language. The voice tracks (Glossika German) are clear and are delivered at native-speaker speed. While one member reported the presence of an annoying intro/outro in her sound files, I found it to be supportable.

EFFECTIVENESS, EFFICIENCY, ALTERNATIVES
Glossika is not a complete language-learning method; rather it is supplemental material designed to help students in their quest for fluency The authors take pains to point out that their material is not designed for increasing one's vocabulary. Moreover, they state clearly that their material is rather basic and that some students might find it boring. Based on my recent experience Glossika German, I believe that it would, indeed, help serious students increase their fluency. Nonetheless, I would underscore that there is absolutely nothing radical in Glossika's approach and that similar results can be achieved through the intensive use of other products, such as the FSI Basic Courses and the Assimil courses ... meiner Meinung nach.

WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?
The first consideration should be whether or not you respond well to the intensive study of pattern drills or similar materials. The second consideration should be whether or not there already exists ample, relatively inexpensive, intensive practice material (such as FSI, Assimil, etcetera) for the language that you are studying. In my case, although there exists ample material for practicing German, much of which I already possess, since I positively devour this type of stuff, I bought Glossika German anyway and I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. Your situation might be entirely different from mine. Perhaps a final consideration would be "value". Glossika presents 3,000 more-or-less random sentences, of low-level vocabularly, in four sets of recordings, along with a transcript for a price of about 75 $US. By comparison, the introductory Assimil courses present 2,000+ sentences, in one set of recordings, with increasingly difficult grammatical structure and vocabularly, organized in 100 situational dialogues, along with notes (that I find inadequate) and accompanied by a high-quality book that includes a printed transcript, a translation, and the notes, all for approximately 95 $US. Hmm...! Still...?

Edited by Speakeasy on 23 March 2015 at 4:10am

8 persons have voted this message useful

Cthulhu
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 7022 days ago

139 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin, Russian

Message 14 of 35
23 March 2015 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
This is really not a critique of the Glossika method, which I rather enjoy, but as a heads up to anyone who might be
thinking about downloading the newly released Japanese programme, the quality of the Japanese language audio is
absolutely abysmal. Terrible speaker, recording full of static, it's just all kinds of bad. The idea of listening to
something like that for a hundred hours fills me dread; I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

Update: They are apparently rerecording the Japanese in response to overwhelming criticism, so it's not like anyone
can fault their customer service.

Edited by Cthulhu on 24 March 2015 at 1:45pm

turorudi
Triglot
Philippines
Joined 3368 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 15 of 35
07 April 2015 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your detailed reply! I guess I like buying language stuff so I have a
lot of materials to dig into when I get bored. I will remember to check out the German
one once I go back to studying the language.

Yesterday, I took the plunge and bought the Hungarian course :P I still haven't gotten
the link to download my course, though. How many days did you have to wait to get your
link?

Thank you once again!

Speakeasy wrote:

WOULD I RECOMMEND IT?
The first consideration should be whether or not you respond well to the intensive
study of pattern drills or similar materials. The second consideration should be
whether or not there already exists ample, relatively inexpensive, intensive practice
material (such as FSI, Assimil, etcetera) for the language that you are studying. In
my case, although there exists ample material for practicing German, much of which I
already possess, since I positively devour this type of stuff, I bought Glossika
German anyway and I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. Your situation might be
entirely different from mine. Perhaps a final consideration would be "value".
Glossika presents 3,000 more-or-less random sentences, of low-level vocabularly, in
four sets of recordings, along with a transcript for a price of about 75 $US. By
comparison, the introductory Assimil courses present 2,000+ sentences, in one set of
recordings, with increasingly difficult grammatical structure and vocabularly,
organized in 100 situational dialogues, along with notes (that I find inadequate) and
accompanied by a high-quality book that includes a printed transcript, a translation,
and the notes, all for approximately 95 $US. Hmm...! Still...?

turorudi
Triglot
Philippines
Joined 3368 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 16 of 35
07 April 2015 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the heads up! I was checking out the site yesterday and saw that the
Japanese course was already available. I initially thought of getting the
triangulation one for Japanese-Hungarian but thankfully, I did not.

Otherwise, it would have been money wasted. Oh well.

Cthulhu wrote:
This is really not a critique of the Glossika method, which I rather
enjoy, but as a heads up to anyone who might be
thinking about downloading the newly released Japanese programme, the quality of the
Japanese language audio is
absolutely abysmal. Terrible speaker, recording full of static, it's just all kinds of
bad. The idea of listening to
something like that for a hundred hours fills me dread; I wouldn't recommend it to my
worst enemy.

Update: They are apparently rerecording the Japanese in response to overwhelming
criticism, so it's not like anyone
can fault their customer service.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version