35 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
basica
Australia
Joined 3335 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 17 of 35
07 April 2015 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
I just recently bought the Glossika pack for Serbian. Quite happy with it. I ordered it
on the 02/04 and got the audio on the 04/04, but I'm still waiting for the PDF.

The audio quality is ok, the only thing to be mindful of is since its a female speaker,
certain phrases will be said the feminine way (i.e. "nisam gladna, ali zedna sam" instead
of "nisam gladan, ali zedan sam" for a man). Can't comment on the PDF's quality as I
don't have it yet, but will do so as soon as I get it and have a read of it.

Edited by basica on 07 April 2015 at 3:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 18 of 35
07 April 2015 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Turorudi:
Reference your comment: "Yesterday, I took the plunge and bought the Hungarian course :P I still haven't gotten the link to download my course, though. How many days did you have to wait to get your link?"

It took two days for Glossika to send me the link. From memory, they advise on their website that there could be a slight delay in sending the link. They also advise that the zipped files are large and that the download might abort. Yup! I had to try a few times, because the large files aborted. It seems to me that they could avoid this problem by simply separating the files into more manageable chunks.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 19 of 35
07 April 2015 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
They could also avoid the problem by using reasonable file formats. I think the entire package could easily fit in under 100MB at a decent quality. The file size is due more to their anti-piracy concerns than any sort of benefit to the user.

They also say that it's not a standalone course but at the same time claim X number of hours of their courses will take you to conversational fluency. A course that takes you to conversational fluency seems like a standalone course to me. I‘m nearly finished with my HSK 6 vocab list, once i finish that i'll be coming back to the new Beijing course and should have more input on that.

basica
Australia
Joined 3335 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 

Message 20 of 35
07 April 2015 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Just got the PDF links a few minutes ago - all looks well and I like how it's been set up. Overall quite pleased,
it's mentioned in the book that the fluency course will take you into the B levels by the end of it - I will
definitely be happy with the purchase if that turns out to be the case.

As for the file sizes, they aren't really all that big - all up everything is under a couple gig which is fine for me.

Edited by basica on 07 April 2015 at 11:49am

turorudi
Triglot
Philippines
Joined 3368 days ago

24 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*, Japanese
Studies: Hungarian, French

Message 21 of 35
08 April 2015 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Finally got my download links!!

The files were huge...I had to download two of the GSR ones again as the download
aborted. I left them downloading well into the night and when i woke up, ta-daaaa! I am
excited to use my Glossika tonight. :)

Just an initial comment on the Hungarian course. They keep on using personal pronouns
like én and te in their sentences. But the verbs already tell you who is being referred
to so using pronouns might make it redundant. At least, that's what native speakers tell
me all the time.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4467 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 22 of 35
09 April 2015 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
How is Glossika Arabic called?
DiGlossika ;)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 23 of 35
09 April 2015 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
A couple of gigs might not seem like much, but that's packing 1-200MB into a 2-4GB container. So you've got around 2GB of "anti-piracy" formatting (preventing you from copying/pasting sentences from the PDF, for example). For users (like me) with slow internet connections, it's a huge pain. When a 700MB file times out after waiting over 20 hours for it to complete, that's a huge pain. Especially when the PDFs could easily be formatted at a much smaller size (dropping the vector graphics). Thankfully someone at chinese-forums mentioned trying with a download manager and i was finally able to download all the files using that.

I've got two courses and they're both decent, though the audio to the Mandarin course is much cleaner than the Catalan course. Their customer support is also really great (at least it was a year or so ago when i first bought the Mandarin course, it might be different now that they've got more courses out/are presumably busier). They also provided the updated Mandarin course for free to all of us who bought it, which i think was a really nice gesture on their part. I think they made some bad decisions on their file formatting, but overall i've been happy with the course as well. I haven't gone through an entire fluency course yet, though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3335 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 

Message 24 of 35
10 April 2015 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
My PDFs are quite small, under 25MBs - I have no idea why yours are so big. I also don't
have any issue copying/pasting. The audio files were the biggest for me - the GMS files
were about 150MB each but the GSRs were about 600mb each (IIRC). They were in separate
zip files as well so that made it easier to download. Not that I really had an issue with
timing out or anything but that's probably because I have a relatively fast internet
connection.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version