Tetraglot
Groupie
Hungary
Joined 4702 days ago

56 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, Spanish, English, Italian

Message 9 of 13
31 March 2015 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Re: adding a new empty row in LF Aligner, I added that feature a week or two ago. Here's the
new exe:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16377950/alignedit.exe
Just replace other_tools/alignedit.exe with this one. F9 is the shortcut for adding a new row.
I mostly just use F8 for split/shift down.

Re: segmenting at semicolon, that's probably not a good idea. If you want to try it anyway, do
it before running the file through the aligner. Replace ; with ; and a line break in MS Word,
Notepad++ or whatever other program suits your fancy.
3 persons have voted this message useful

nystagmatic
Triglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4111 days ago

47 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French
Studies: German

Message 10 of 13
01 April 2015 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
Day 7 of Listening-Reading:

Did The Judgment yet again, then the first third of Törleß. Two hours and a half in total. I've been doing chunks of thirty minutes, largely spaced throughout the day, with massive time wastage in between. I know this is a bad idea not just for efficacy but also for all the other stuff I should be doing, since I spend these intervals unwinding and do no work at all. Must be more disciplined, and must learn to keep focus for longer.

All in all I feel my comprehension climbing, but it's mostly a feel for the language — I think I'm hardly learning any new words with this approach, which worries me. I was reading through Volte's old Polish log and I see she had more success in vocabulary acquisition when L-Ring with parallel texts; I tried it again for a moment, but now without pausing and only bouncing to L2 when I was well ahead of the narrator, and realized how much of the speech I'd indeed been taking in as just a mushy garble. But I enjoy reading the physical books much more than reading on the screen. On the upside, I feel I'm starting to get more used to the sounds of German: by recognizing words I already know, I'm slowly learning to infer how all the others are written. Perhaps, then, this will be a lesser problem after a few more hours. If anyone has anything to say on this subject, I'd love to hear it.

Andras — that's terrific! I'll try it out tomorrow. And thank you for a great piece of software. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

nystagmatic
Triglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4111 days ago

47 posts - 58 votes 

Message 11 of 13
02 April 2015 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Day 8 of Listening-Reading:

Negligible amount of work done today. I spent a couple of hours aligning the text for Törleß in very minute segments, sometimes breaking off at a comma or even conjunction, to see if I could more easily hit my eye on the English then jump to the German and follow the audio. It didn't work as well as I expected.

(On this subject, a d'oh: I hadn't realized I could use F8 to split onto a new cell in LF Aligner. That makes everything much easier.)

I suspect Törleß was a bad choice for L-R, because it has long and complicated sentences and lots of dense, abstract imagery. I too often find myself confusedly looking at the words instead of properly dreaming the story, and it's hard to keep the "joy" atamagaii and Volte so emphasize. Maybe I'll try skipping to Steppenwolf soon, or rush through the rest of Stage 3 (4 more hours) and leave this one aside for now. I also found audiobooks for Alice in Wonderland and The Portrait of Dorian Gray, but I don't have the books with me.

nystagmatic
Triglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4111 days ago

47 posts - 58 votes 

Message 12 of 13
06 April 2015 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Days 9-12 of Listening-Reading:

Life outside struck days 9 and 10 way too hard for me to get much done. I started L-Ring Steppenwolf, and though it was easier than Törleß, I still found myself too often disoriented by the difference in word order. So I decided to try something else, inspired by MarcoDiAngelo: 1) read one screenful of aligned text, carefully comparing both languages; 2) listen to the audio for that screenful while reading L2, checking L1 only where needed; 3) at the end of each audio segment — something between 10 to 20 minutes of audio in this case — go back and listen to it once more without stopping, reading L2; 4) begin each day revising everything from the previous day, listening-reading L2-L2 without stopping. I disagree with MarcoDiAngelo in that step 3 to me seems vital: it's where I have to apply the most brainpower to remembering and understanding with as little help from L1 as possible. I studied around two hours yesterday and two hours today (not counting a few episodes of Slow German), and so far this method feels very productive — certainly more than L-R was being, though it could be overkill for more similar languages. The main disadvantage is that it takes much longer: about four times as much as the length of the audiobook, if you do always revise the previous day. I know some people do two or three passes on each text for L-R, so there might not be much difference, but I suppose those who just go once through a pile of books could find it too vertical.

This week I'll try to do at least three hours a day. Too early to say much about efficacy, but I'll keep this updated.

Edited by nystagmatic on 07 April 2015 at 3:37am

nystagmatic
Triglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4111 days ago

47 posts - 58 votes 

Message 13 of 13
11 April 2015 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Days 13-17 of Whatever it is that I'm doing (see Volte at the bottom):

Not much to report. Besides a lot of Slow German and a bit of Anki, I've through a total of 6 hours of Steppenwolf (out of 7:30) ~L-R gotten. Today I dropped step 2 of what I above described, so I'm it exactly as MarcoDiAngelo suggested doing, plus next-day revisions. I have also it much better a real effort at reading L2 before recurring to L1 to make to be found, instead of L1 straight away reading and then it to L2 to map trying; but perhaps this would too tiresome in earlier stages been have. I'm quite happy with the results — even managed a short chapter today hardly using the translation at all to read! — and hopefully all this is helping the German language in my brain to take root. I've certainly a little different feeling been...

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version