ZJF_USA
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 15
27 March 2015 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
It's time to stop messing around and get this knocked out. I've been fooling around with getting fluent in Spanish for over five years. Too many starts and stops with the resulting back tracking. I'll put in a month here and a month there but no consistent sustained study and practice for say 12-18 months at a time. Maybe two years ago I was at the B1 level, probably not at understanding, but now I would put myself at A2 speaking and understanding. When I listen to broadcasts and Spanish language I can often make out the individual words but the meanings don't come together in my head fast enough to get a good understanding of what is being said. It's time to be more aggressive. My course materials are FSI Programmatic/Basic as well as Assimil. Right now I am on level eight of FSI Programmatic and lession forty-three of Assimil Spanish with Ease. I will be supplementing with movies, broadcasts, readings and of when possible conversations.

The goal is DELE C1 by 5/2016.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ZJF_USA
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes

Message 2 of 15
31 March 2015 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I just finished unit eight today in FSI Spanish Programmatic. My goal is to complete one or two units per week on average. However, I won't let myself advance until the material is learned to the level required by the instructions. If the instructions say "no errors" then no errors will be allowed.

Assimil is also progressing along. I just finished lesson forty-six. As much as possible I try to mind the breezy-go-easy-and-steady Assimil philosophy. FSI and Assimil compliment each other well but it is important not to confuse the course methodologies. Sometimes I am reluctant to go to the next Assimil lesson because I have not mastered the one I am on first. I confess I've probably held on to a lesson for too long at times. The Assimil "rule" I do break is I don't do one lesson per day on average. I take Sundays off and sometimes don't get to it everyday. Overall I average about four lesson per week.

Assimil is very easy to work into a daily routine. I read the lesson in the morning after I get up and listen to it on my commute. On my lunch hour I do a listening and reading regimen with the lesson and then on my way home from work I listen again. It has worked pretty well. I'm sure I'll have to reorganize my routine when the Active Wave comes up in a few lessons.
1 person has voted this message useful

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3875 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 3 of 15
31 March 2015 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your progress. In order to hit the C1 level by May of 2016, I believe you'll need to finish Programmatic, Assimil, and come as close to completing FSI Basic as you can this year. Then you'll want to listen and read like drinking water for the next few months and top it off with interacting with as many people and writing in Spanish as much as possible. Plan on studying at least 6-8 hours a week if you can.

Just remember why you are doing it!

Tip: Include your family as much as you can so your language studies don't steal from time together. Maybe take walks together and you can each listen to your own music/lesson and just enjoy each others' company. Listening while driving has been the crux of my language studies.

2 persons have voted this message useful

ZJF_USA
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes

Message 4 of 15
01 April 2015 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
slikew wrote:

Tip: Include your family as much as you can so your language studies don't steal from time together. Maybe take walks together and you can each listen to your own music/lesson and just enjoy each others' company. Listening while driving has been the crux of my language studies.

It's funny you should mention that. My wife is always saying things like, "are you talking to yourself in Spanish right now" or "I don't understand what you are saying." I say enough in Spanish just stay on the right side of irritating her too much. ;) My daughter is only three years old and so she just gives me blank looks when I say anything in Spanish.

ZJF_USA
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes

Message 5 of 15
01 April 2015 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm in Unit nine of FSI Prog. right now. It's fascinating how I may know the correct answer but not yet be able to say it quickly enough or even correctly. There are several neurological pathways that have to be trained in speaking the language. Just because I "know" the answer to say doesn't mean it is going to come out right. Of course this is the case with one's native language also.

Having studied the language off and on so long, I'll go through some exercises like a knife through warm butter but come upon some drills where I have to repeat over and over. Ah...the perils of a perpetual false beginner...but then again this log is about putting that status to rest.

I've started Assimil lesson forty-eight today. After that is a review lesson and then the second wave!

Other things I've done recently:

Reading/following/listening to the Bible ( RV1960 )
Watched an episode of MacGyver (en Spanish his name is pronounce Mah-Gee-vair. LOL! Brought me back to my childhood.)
Watched an episode of Star Wars: Clone Wars

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4811 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 15
02 April 2015 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Are the Star Wars in Spanish good?

Finally got to writing a post in your log that I've been reading since the beginning. I
wish you lots of success with your ambitious goals and lots of fun on the way. I'm really
looking forward to reading more from you.

ZJF_USA
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes

Message 7 of 15
03 April 2015 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Are the Star Wars in Spanish good?

Finally got to writing a post in your log that I've been reading since the beginning. I
wish you lots of success with your ambitious goals and lots of fun on the way. I'm really
looking forward to reading more from you.

Thank you for the encouragement. About Star Wars...you hear a lot of military jargon. Also, with awkward word order of Yoda in Spanish he is dubbed. Fun listening to, it is. ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

ZJF_USA
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

15 posts - 21 votes

Message 8 of 15
06 April 2015 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
In unit 11 of FSI prog. I have started the active wave of Assimil SwE. Those early lessons make for painful listening. I suppose that's one way of realizing your progress!

I've also watched a couple of episodes of "Alf", a silly, yet fun old American comedy series from the 1980s. I don't understand everything but I can pick out more and more words. It's like I ofter hear words but the meaning doesn't come fast enough. I concentrate on the meaning but then the oncoming words get lost. I'm not worried about it yet.

Edited by ZJF_USA on 06 April 2015 at 8:17pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version