Tags: Italian | Accent
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4086 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 1 of 21
01 April 2015 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I saw some time ago in another thread about how learners of Italian usually speak the
standard version that is usually taught in formal education although most natives do
not speak like that. But I was wondering how a foreigner would go about learning a
specific accent anyway, in case that after achieving a reasonable level, tried to
imitate one of a Firenze, Roma, Napoli, etc. accent. This is fairly easy with Spanish
for example, because it is quite clear from which country a news outlet is, or a
newspaper, film, etc, and the accents are quite well-known and documented. With
Italian, obviously unlike Spanish, there is only one main country where Italian is
spoken as the official national language, namely Italy, and I have not seen learning
materials nor certain media outlets that focus on one accent and nothing else, or is
there?

Of course probably most foreignerrs would not try to do this, but I usually try to
pick a regional accent at some point.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 01 April 2015 at 11:11am

1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4855 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 21
02 April 2015 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
You would probably either have to go to the specific region for immersion or focus on imitating a single speaker.

Nowadays though, there are plenty of people in Italy whose native language is more or less standard Italian. If you
imitate the speech in unscripted or informal-language media such as TV series, unscripted talk shows, amateur
podcasts, etc. then I don't think you'll sound over-formal just because you speak standard Italian.

2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 21
02 April 2015 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
For the "bigger" accents at least, there tend to be a lot of films set in the respective areas in which the characters mostly speak with a certain accent. For example Tuscan accents in Leonardo Pieraccioni's films; Naples/Campania in Il Postino and other films with Massimo Troisi, Reality, the first part of Ieri, Oggi, Domani, and many more; some characters in Commissario Montalbano have strong Sicilian accents; and lots of films are set in Rome and have that accent. Also there are regional radio stations and Youtube vloggers etc.

I've never had a desire to imitate a particular region's accent (even a "standard" accent is probably an impossible ambition for me), but I try to get exposure to different accents and understand them better, and films have been my main source for that.

Edited by garyb on 02 April 2015 at 10:49am

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4464 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 4 of 21
06 April 2015 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
The Milan accent is omnipresent and not that unposh either, quite on the contrary it's linked to money and high couture. For this accent, try any Mediaset tv channel (Italia1, Rete4, Canale5 etc.).
It is becoming the new unofficial standard, just like the Estuary English in the UK.

Google
''lingua toscana in bocca ambrosiana''.

Unlike people from Naples, Venice, Genoa or even from Rome,
people from Milan are never asked to tone their accent down,
so even the heaviest forms of Milanese can be heard in national media (it can be heard in commercials, it is used for dubbing of cartoons into Italian etc), and unlike the heavier forms of the Roman accent it does not scream ''working class'' but ''upper middle class'' or ''high class''...

In Mediaset-produced soap operas (like Le tre rose di Eva) everyone seems to be speaking with a Milan accent, even if the soap opera is set in Tuscany.
Tuscan/Roman vowels (vènto, ièri, perdèndo, trèno etc.) and passato remoto seem to be regionalisms nowadays, rather than the norm. Even in Rome, people started pronouncing many words in the Milanese way: zio [dzio] rather than [tsio], iéri rather than ièri, primavéra rather primavèra etc...

Language and Society in a Changing Italy
By Arturo Tosi

Edited by Medulin on 07 April 2015 at 12:00am

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3886 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 5 of 21
13 April 2015 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
The Milan accent is omnipresent and not that unposh either, quite on
the contrary it's linked to money and high couture. For this accent, try any Mediaset
tv channel (Italia1, Rete4, Canale5 etc.).
It is becoming the new unofficial standard, just like the Estuary English in the UK.

I don't agree at all with this. What you actually hear on tv is just their own accent
(surely at least a little bit softened being tv hosts or actors, professionists and
well educated voice-wise), so really any predominance of this "Milan accent" nor on
mediaset channel neither on nationl television.
You don't hear this accent anywhere outside Lombardia either.

Italy is one of these countries where there's no really a "standard" accent, being
those from different regions very very strong; you will recognize where people comes
from in 90% of the cases. Every single region if not every single city, has its own
accent (I'm not talking about dialect) so you can count up to dozen accents just in
the south and so on...

I'm yet to hear a foreigner talking with credible "native" Italian accent whatever it
is,even audios from lots of language courses often don't sound "right", so I wouldn't
care about picking up a specific accent first because it seems really few would
succeed second because there's no really a need for this as long as every 100 km
people here speaks differently.

Edited by Donaldshimoda on 14 April 2015 at 10:07am

4 persons have voted this message useful

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4850 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 6 of 21
15 April 2015 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Donaldshimoda wrote:
Medulin wrote:
The Milan accent is omnipresent and not that
unposh either, quite on
the contrary it's linked to money and high couture. For this accent, try any Mediaset
tv channel (Italia1, Rete4, Canale5 etc.).

I don't agree at all with this. What you actually hear on tv is just their own accent
(surely at least a little bit softened being tv hosts or actors, professionists and
well educated voice-wise), so really any predominance of this "Milan accent" nor on
mediaset channel neither on nationl television.
You don't hear this accent anywhere outside Lombardia either.

Italy is one of these countries where there's no really a "standard" accent, being
those from different regions very very strong; you will recognize where people comes
from in 90% of the cases. Every single region if not every single city, has its own
accent (I'm not talking about dialect) so you can count up to dozen accents just in
the south and so on...

I'm yet to hear a foreigner talking with credible "native" Italian accent whatever it
is,even audios from lots of language courses often don't sound "right", so I wouldn't
care about picking up a specific accent first because it seems really few would
succeed second because there's no really a need for this as long as every 100 km
people here speaks differently.

I must second my fellow countryman here.
I know people who have been living in Italy for 40 years, who speak perfect Italian
but that they don't pass as native speakers yet.
Italians has several distinct accents which are spread all over the Peninsula: it's
almost immediate to recognise whether someone is from the North or generally the South
(including here all the Centre and the isles), the more you get used to accents the
easier it gets to recognise them.
I can easily tell apart Venetian, Lombard and other Northern accent, I can easily
distinguish the most famous accents in their "broad characterisation" like Roman,
Sicilian, Neapolitan etc but it must be noticed that Italian varies a lot even from
city to city.
Where I live (Northernmost area of Italy), we tend to use the phoneme /e/, whereas 25
km northwards, people tend to use the open e.
This happens within a radius of 30 km, let alone imagine an entire country.
5 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3895 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 7 of 21
15 April 2015 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Native Italians,

Does that mean that a native Italian who moved around within Italy in their youth doesn't have a credible native accent?

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3886 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 8 of 21
15 April 2015 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
Native Italians,

Does that mean that a native Italian who moved around within Italy in their youth doesn't
have a credible native accent?

didnt say that at all...

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version