patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4339 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 17 of 35
20 June 2015 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Have you thought about using iTalki for Skype tutoring?

I haven't used it personally, but I have heard good things about it from people I trust.
It has the advantage that you can talk to people living in Germany and potentially talk to multiple tutors if you want to work on different aspects of the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 18 of 35
20 June 2015 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Patrick, I'll check it out.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4339 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 19 of 35
20 June 2015 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
One advantage with iTalki is that most of the tutors offer free/discounted "Probe" lessons so you can get a sense of how they are before committing. I think most people try out a few different tutors before settling on one person.

You can also do language exchanges for free, but it's probably easier/more-efficient if just pay for a tutor.

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 

Message 20 of 35
23 June 2015 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Joined a local German film club here in Newcastle last night. Half hour Stammtisch followed by Das Wunder von Bern. Conversation flowed well, 95% comprehension, we discussed our trips to Germany, our
occupations, and our gardening escapades. Turns out I'm not the only one who's had trouble growing carrots, which is a nice bonus. The film was great, ~80% comprehension.

Der Ball ist rund und das Spiel dauert 90 minuten.

Found a tutor in the local area, native German. Never had a tutor before, but I figure I'll head along and see if she can help to sure up a few weak areas.

On average I have ~2 hours of exposure to German each day in terms of podcasts / news, which is mostly commute time. If I had a bit more time, I would put it into vocab work (Anki), no question about it.
Whenever I am able to learn a few new words in Anki, they seem to immediately pop up in the podcasts out of nowhere, and I get a feeling of achievement and advancement. I rarely (if ever) learn words
straight from the podcasts without looking them up, though they are invaluable for reinforcing the words and usage that I already know. They do prompt me to learn new vocabulary as well (e.g. Klimmzüge =
pullups).

If you are learning German and are into fitness, I highly recommend the Fitness mit M.A.R.K podcast, which you can find here:

http://www.marathonfitness.de/podcast/

The language is fairly simple, it would be comprehensible to a B1 listener, quite comfortable for a B2 listener.

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 

Message 21 of 35
24 June 2015 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
First week of intensive German completed. Stats updated on front post. Given it was a
fairly busy week with work, quite happy with 38 hours. There are two exams slots
approaching in Sydney for the C1 exam - 23rd September and 16th December. December would
give me more time, but my son/daughter is arriving in late November, so it's most likely
out of the question. So it's either September or early next year at this stage.

Going to meet a tutor this evening for an hour. Native German, lives 3km from my house in
Newcastle. Small world. She will be able to tell my if September is too ambitious. If
it's not, then that means I have 14 weeks until the exam.

At my current level of exposure, is 14 weeks enough time to move from a fairly solid B2
to an acceptable C1? (I would be happy with +80% in the exam).

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4339 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 22 of 35
24 June 2015 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
rtickner wrote:

At my current level of exposure, is 14 weeks enough time to move from a fairly solid B2
to an acceptable C1? (I would be happy with +80% in the exam).

Good luck. I'm very curious if you can make C1 in this amount of time.

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 

Message 23 of 35
25 June 2015 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Good luck. I'm very curious if you can make C1 in this amount of
time.

Me too. There is a lot of work to be done between now and then.

Had my first hour of tutoring last night with the new tutor. We conversed a lot and spoke
about preparation for the C1 exam. She confirmed what I had already suspected - reading
and listening are cool beans, writing and speaking need some attention. Speech is flowing
well, but I need to pay more attention to declensions and unknown genders. I've gotten
about as far as I can get by just "winging it" when I don't know the correct ending to
use. It was fun while it lasted!

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 

Message 24 of 35
29 June 2015 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Podcasts are my main form of exposure to German at the moment. I installed an app
called "Podcast Addict" on my Android phone, set the language to German, and then
selected around 10 podcasts from a list of popular podcasts in the "Podcast
Empfehlungen" section. The app is configured so that it will automatically download
new episodes when connected to a WiFi network and store them on my phone. When I have
finished listening to an episode, it is marked as "read" and the mp3 file is deleted
from the phone, to ensure sufficient space is available for new episodes. I then
update the stats in the first post of this log with the items marked as "read", and
then mark those podcast entries as "Favourites", which to me indicates that I have
included these in my HTLAL log stats and should not add them again.

So far I have made my way through the Fitness mit M.A.R.K series, and the DW
Alltagsdeutsch series. I'm making my way through Slow German mit Annik Rubens at the
moment. This is aimed more at A2/B1 listeners, but she has a nice voice, and talks
about interesting topics, so I'm sticking around. All of these came from the Podcast
Empfehlungen section, which makes for a very convenient way to enjoy German.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version