Groupie
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 25 of 35
01 July 2015 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Fourteen days have passed. See the initial post for updated statistics.

83% of efforts in these past weeks have been spent in passive consumption. As my
weaknesses lie in the production of the language, this is not an ideal spread. More focus
will be placed on active production this week, specifically grammatical and translation
exercises. For this reason, I've joined Lang-8, and am intending to invest a fair amount
of time there over the next few weeks.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5362 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 26 of 35
01 July 2015 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Interesting language log, rtickner! Good luck with your journey from B2 to C1 this year, and I look forward to reading your thoughts and discoveries along the way. Much like you, I want to fill in the gaps in my German and raise things to the next level in 2015, so I'm rooting for you passing that next C1 Zertifikat.

By the way, if you like Annik Rubens' podcasts and feel ready to move on to something a little more challenging, "Schlaflos in München" might be just the ticket here. I'm also impressed that you've read 15-25 books so far...which was your favourite read amongst them?

Edited by Teango on 01 July 2015 at 7:32am

basica
Australia
Joined 3342 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 27 of 35
01 July 2015 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Good idea (concerning joining lang-8), I personally have found with myself it has
definitely improved my production in the language (and I don't even write all that much,
I do a minimum of 100 words a day and I've averaged 120 or so). I'm sure at your higher
level you can produce more, more easily and notice even bigger payoffs! :)

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 

Message 28 of 35
02 July 2015 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
...Schlaflos in München might be just the ticket here...

Sitting in my playlist ready to roll!

Teango wrote:
...you've read 15-25 books so far...which was your favourite read amongst them?

Probably Der Hobbit at this stage. Harry Potter wasn't bad, I'm not a huge fan though, on account of the fact that Slytherin is the best house, and Snape the best character, yet they
seem to get unfairly shafted with each turn of the page. Kafka's Die Verwandlung was a good read too, pretty dark. I got great value from another title as well, which I would never had
considered reading in English, had my wife not stopped talking about it incessantly for weeks on end. I picked it up in German and it was quite the page-turner.
Die Liebenden von Leningrad

basica wrote:
...I do a minimum of 100 words a day and I've averaged 120 or so...

That's a brilliant idea, your Serbian must be improving pretty steadily at that rate.
3 persons have voted this message useful

SladeWilson
Canada
Joined 3262 days ago

17 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 29 of 35
02 July 2015 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Hey rtickner, nice to read your log. I may have missed it, but do you recall when you started studying German?

It was nice to hear someone actually describe an exam they took based on the European Framework, as I've never really understood what people are claiming to be able to do when they bring up one of the levels. If more people described the exam they took, I'd probably have learned the framework by now. I've looked it up before, but that kind of thing never sticks in my mind.

All the best on your way to C1 (whatever that one means, haha).

I'll make sure to check out Podcast Addict as well.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4815 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 30 of 35
02 July 2015 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the podcast app tip, rticker. And thanks for going on, you are really an inspiration. I hope to get my German that far one day.

SladeWilson, actually quite a lot of us have described their cefr exams. I certainly wrote about both my Frech exams (and more members described theirs), one member wrote about her Goethe C2, there was a discussion with DELE experience quite recently, Serpent wrote about her Finnish exam, a few more people surely wrote about a bunch of others. I recommend using the gsearch function with the name of the exam you are interested in.

A good lead to the actual skills at each level is this checklist:
www.coe.int/t/dg4/.../LIAM-ELP-checklists_EN.pdf

ouch, couldn't get the whole link, no idea how to extract it since it leads to download, sorry. Ok, you can just google cefr self assessment checklist and this was my first link.

P.S. Yeah, I wish Slytherin had some cool students as well, someone to turn their back on the darkness and fear and join the rest for the final battle. And Snape was quite rehabilitated.

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3324 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 

Message 31 of 35
29 July 2015 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Updated initial post.

July has been a light month for German. Bought a house, building a cot for the pending
arrival, and a lot of exciting projects at work. Nothing wrong with a light month of German.
Nothing wrong with that at all.

It's a great time to be alive.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5672 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 32 of 35
30 July 2015 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
I can recommend Deutschlandradio Funk if you want get your listening up

Thanks for that suggestion and link. Especially clear, crisp and interesting audio.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version