Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
74 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 74
29 February 2016 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
As promised I have listened to your message, and most of my comments will refer to concrete words rather than things like intonation or specific sounds in general.

The word "symbol" (spelled as in English) should be pronounced with the rounded frontal vowel /y/ (the same as German ü), not a /i/ (as short 'ee'), and in one place you say "råt flag" instead of "rødt flag".

As for r's at the end of syllables inside words we do tend to eat them, but to compensate we open the preceding vowel. So in "Atterdag" we say /atϽda/ (with an open o-sound /Ͻ/ representing the written "er"), not a schwa sound. You also loose the r in "guirlander" - we say a very short open o-sound right after the short /i/ sound: /gjϽlandϽ/).

But all in all a quite impressive effort.

Edited by Iversen on 11 March 2016 at 8:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4937 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 66 of 74
01 March 2016 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my recording and point out my pronunciation mistakes. If you hadn’t so, I probably would have gone on repeating them until they’d become ingrained enough to require a lot of time and effort to unlearn. I'm very grateful for your help.
1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4937 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 67 of 74
23 March 2016 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
I'm going to Denmark and Norway at the end of August to take another shot at talking to those people over there. My plan is to speak nothing but Danish in both countries, and I hope I can do it better than I did during my Norway/Denmark adventure from 2014. Since most of the communication difficulties I experienced during that trip came about not because people couldn't understand me, but because I couldn't understand them, I'm looking to improve my listening comprehension by watching all my Danish film and TV shows, starting with the ones with Danish subtitles.

I began this project around the first of this year, and since then I've seen all three seasons of both "Borgen" and "Forbrydelsen", two seasons each of "Livvagterne" and "Rejseholdet", as well as all of "Den som dræber" and "Matador". I've still got quite a few Danish subtitled films, TV shows and documentaries to go before I'm finished, at which point I'll watch them all again without subtitles. After that, I'll watch the rest of my Danish movies, TV shows and documentaries that don't have subtitles.

If I manage to get all that done, I'll start watching the Norwegian stuff I've got. I don't have much with Norwegian subtitles, just the first three seasons of "Dag", a smattering of "Himmelblå" episodes and an extremely corny Norwegian "Olsen Banden" boxed set, but I've got lots of stuff without them, mostly movies and documentaries culled from YouTube. I definitely need to understand the spoken language better. Maybe it'll help that I'll be in Oslo part of the time, where I'm told people sound more like the native speakers in the audio of my self-learn courses, but I'm also going to Telemark, where I'm likely to be blown out of the water by the local dialect the same way I was blown out of the water by the dialect in Stavanger. I need to prepare this time. I wonder where I can find some recorded examples of how people talk in Telemark.

Although I'm tempted, I'd like to think I'm not foolhardy enough to actually attempt to speak Norwegian. During my output challenge last year, I tried to actively use both Danish and Norwegian simultaneously, and the two languages interfered with each other like potassium and water. I doubt that any amount of effort on my part could overcome this interference, and I don't see any real reason to try. The Norwegians I talked to on my last trip understood my primitive Danish, and, had I been able to understand them, conversations would have ensued. Hiking down from preikestolen, I overheard a Danish couple chatting merrily away in Danish with a foreign student speaking Norwegian, so I know it can work. I just need to get better at it.

I stopped recording myself speaking Danish some time ago, but I've recently started back again. I expect I'll be scheduling Italki sessions before long.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 74
25 March 2016 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
On my first trip to Norway with my mother and sister in 1966 I was 12 years old, and we couldn't watch Norwegian TV at home so I had only heard Norwegian when somebody spoke it on Danish television - which didn't happen very often.

On the trip I mentioned we passed through Oslo and stayed in the countryside in Valdres, but I only remember having problems communicating with Norwegians in one case - namely when I met two ladies who spoke some incomprehensible dialect (probably from the Vestland). I understood the others, like the employees at the hotel, other norwegian guests there, local shopowners, people in the museums at Bygdøy in Oslo etc., and they apparently also understood what I said.

I did however remember one rather interesting case in the other direction. At the hotel there was a collection of books for the guests, including some in Danish. One of these was a collection of monologues by Storm P, a humoristic author who wrote some of his monologues in pure 'Copenhagenish' dialect and others in Standard Danish with a strong slant towards the informal spoken language. The owner of the hotel told that he generally understood the words, but didn't catch enough of the meaning to get the message or to understand why it was so funny for Danes like me. So even though Danes and Norwegians generally can communicate with each other in their respective languages, there are limits to the comprehension.

Edited by Iversen on 25 March 2016 at 1:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4937 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 69 of 74
01 April 2016 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Iversen, for sharing your experience with Norwegian with me. If I can get to where I'm able to communicate on a caveman level without resorting to English or sock puppets, I'll be happy.

I've been talking to myself a lot in Danish lately, describing objects I see around me, as if for the benefit of a blind person. In the process, I've discovered how little vocabulary I actually know. In an effort to rectify this, I'm using my phone to make an Anki card whenever I see something I don't know the Danish word for. I'd rather jump out a second story window onto a cheese grater than do Anki, but this situation calls for drastic measures. I'll be in Denmark in less than five months and I don't want to show up not knowing how to say things like "sidewalk" or "doorknob".

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4937 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 70 of 74
13 April 2016 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Last weekend I had four Italki sessions with four different Danish teachers, and once again I underestimated how hard it is to carry on a conversation in Danish. I had hoped that watching Danish movies and TV shows non-stop for the last three months might help me in this regard, and I suppose it did, because I had no trouble understanding my teachers. But when it came to expressing myself on the fly, I often couldn't come up with common words and expressions I thought I had down cold. By the fourth session, though, I was having fewer pregnant pauses, so that tells me the best way to get better at conversing is to converse.

I'm making progress with the Danish pronunciation, but I'm still a long way from where I'd like to be. I'm recording myself repeating after native speakers again, but this time, instead of making some arbitrary time goal, I think I'll just work on it as hard as I can for as long as I can until I leave for Denmark in August. I'm thinking about hiring a tour guide to talk with me in Danish at least one day while I'm there.

I just subscribed to Jyllands-Posten on my phone. I think I like it better than Politiken, which I've had a subscription to for some time now.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 74
13 April 2016 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Hej AlOlaf,

Jeg skyper 2 gange om ugen 30 minuter pa dansk og 30 minuter pa tysk med en dansker og
en bulgar. Sa er det 60 minuter pa dansk og 60 minuter pa tysk om ugen. Desvaerre taler
er ingen norsk mere pa Skype. Bare i mit norskkursus taler jeg norsk.

Hilsen,

Fasulye

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4937 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 

Message 72 of 74
13 April 2016 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Det vidste jeg ikke. Du må efterhånden være meget god til dansk.

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version