Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
36 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 17 of 36
14 May 2015 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
I second James29: Pause button- just say no! Using it without the pause button really helps automaticity and making sure your comprehension is good.

2 persons have voted this message useful

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 36
16 May 2015 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I starting doing what iguanamon and James said, to not use the pause button. I have
been going through the lessons a little slower now but I am able to answer the back.
Most of the time it takes me two listens to get to over 80%. But I agree that I have a
much better response time now.

Overall things have been going great! I have started looking into Assimil and
Platiquemos. I am not sure what one I want to work on once I finish Pimseleur 1 and MT
Foundations. Both seem like great courses, I have peaked through a few of the
beginning lessons from both workbooks.

I really am interested in getting an online tutor from Italki but I am not sure if I
should get one now or wait until I have a little bit more experience under my belt.

Current Progress:
Pimseleur 1 Lesson 22
MT 2nd CD
Watching episodes of Destions

Edited by BeBetter on 16 May 2015 at 8:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5058 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 19 of 36
16 May 2015 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I'd wait for a little bit. I like to be able to have a basic understanding first. Others, like Benny of Fi3m, jump right in at the start. Whenever you feel you are ready, in addition to italki, some alternatives to consider are nulengua and plqe.org. Nulengua and Proyecto Lingüistico Quetzalteco de Español (click on "study via skype") are located in Guatemala and the fees for skype sessions are reasonable at $10 US for a 50 minute lesson. A friend of mine here really enjoyed her tutor at nulengua.

Working effectively with a tutor is another story in itself for another time- eso es otro cantar. Generally you should use your tutor for thing's that can't be done on your own.

Good to see that you're not using the pause button and are making progress. While anyone can use Pimsleur anyway they want, it is designed with the built-in pauses to teach automaticity, and for me, it worked well in other languages.

Edited by iguanamon on 19 May 2015 at 3:20am

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 20 of 36
24 May 2015 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Weekly update!

I have been studying everyday, some days more than others. I have been continuing to
work through pimseleur 1, almost finished with the first series. I have been reading
some of my comic book, but I also have bought a children's book to begin reading, La
Casa en Mango Street. I bought the Spanish version and the English, so I can do some
line by line reading. I have read the first few pages and I am surprised how much I
can read on my own. This was a little boost of confidence. I am still stuck on if I
should start FSI or Assimil. I am also thinking of buying Practice Makes Perfect to
keep in my office at work. This could be a great lunch time tool.

Progress

Pimseleur 1 lesson 28
MT CD 5 ( I cant stand the guy in the tapes)
Destinos EP 9 ( I am kinda obsessed)
La Casa en Mango Street 5/112 ( Just started it )

Pushing forward.

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 21 of 36
31 May 2015 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Soooo moving along. I still get very nervous when talking with native speakers, I am
hoping this will start to fade away once I get more confident in my speaking. I
finished up Pimseluer 1 this week, finally. I will be starting the number 2 first
thing Monday morning. I got my Practice Makes Perfect workbook in the mail early this
week and have begun working through the lessons during my lunch breaks and sometimes
at home. I started using Lang8 to practice my writing and grammar skills, this has
been very helpful, I have also found a "penpal", we have been writing back and forth
correcting each others sentences. I kind of slacked on my reading this week, only a
few pages. It takes me a long time to get though a page, I try to read and reread it
over and over until it flows for me. I think that once I finish the MT tapes I will
start Assimil, I have already started a few of the lessons and really like them. I am
wanting to try ItalkI soon either with a teacher or to have a talk with a native
speaker but I am really afraid I will make an ass of myself, maybe Ill wait another
week.

This weeks Progress
MT CD 7 about half way through
Pimseleur 1 Done! Starting 2 on Monday
Destinos EP 13
Practice Makes Perfect Lesson 5
La Casa en Mango Street 15/112 =(

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 22 of 36
07 June 2015 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I did not get as much done this week as I would have hoped. Life gets busy sometimes.
I did make a small change in what I have been studying however. I was using the
practice makes perfect book, but then I saw Jame's review on Gramatica De Uso, and I
ended up buying that grammar book and using it instead. So I guess I can always come
back to practice makes perfect later on. I really like the A1-A2 book because its in
all Spanish, I learn new vocab words almost every lesson.

I think my biggest challenge at the moment for me is Direct and Indirect Pronouns,
they seem to always confuse the shit out of me. I just think I need some more practice
with them. I am hoping they will come up soon in my grammar book. I have gotten some
good practice with MT though. Maybe I will re listen to some of the earlier tapes.

I still have been watching Destinos, not as much this week tho. I have found a new
show that I am really excited to start watching, Metástasis. Its a Spanish version of
breaking bad, like scene for scene, line for line. I think this would be great to
watch because I have seen breaking bad twice now and could follow along pretty well. I
would like to get through Destinos a little more before I start a new show.

Also, my younger sister has to take 2 language classes for college and they can be
online. So I am thinking I might be helping her out a lot with her Spanish classes. I
have looked at the syllabus for the first semester and it looks super easy, I could
probably pass the class right now which makes me feel pretty good.

This weeks Progress
MT CD 8 tract 5 ( Will be starting Assimil when I finish)
Pimseleur 2 tract 6
Gramatica De Uso A1-A2 Lesson 7
La Casa en Mango Street 15/112 No reading this week

rtickner
Diglot
Groupie
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3314 days ago

61 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanB2
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 23 of 36
08 June 2015 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Looks like you're making some good progress. Understand what you mean about life getting busy, I'm at the same stage of learning Spanish as you are, and you fit it in when you can.

I'll be watching your log with interest. ¡Buena suerte!

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5171 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 24 of 36
08 June 2015 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Direct/indirect object issues in Spanish have ALWAYS been a thorn in my side... I still struggle with them. Keep up the good work and stay motivated. I'm interested to see how you like the grammar book. I'm sure you know, but there is a glossary in back that translates all the words into English.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version