18 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 36
08 June 2015 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I'm sure you know, but there is a glossary in back that translates all
the words into English.

Yes! That has been very helpful. I have been putting the new vocab words into Anki. So
far I really enjoy the book. The exercises are the perfect length.
1 person has voted this message useful

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 26 of 36
15 June 2015 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
SO I am officially 1 month in! Pretty exciting. I have noticed I have been making
steady progress which is very motivating. This week was a little better then last. I
did finish MT foundations which is pretty cool, I think now I will listen to the
advanced tapes in on my car rides after I finish my pimseleur lesson. I have finally
stated Assimil, the first few lessons were pretty easy and didn't spend to much time
on them. Again with no reading in my book but I feel like I will now start to read
plenty working though Assimil. I made some really good head way with Indirect
Pronouns, I found a few really good lessons on youtube. It was a classroom setting
which someone taped the lesson, I feel like I really get a lot out of a classroom
setting.
Link

Progress
Pimseleur 2 - tape 13
MT Foundations- DONE!
Gramatica De Uso A1-A2 Lesson 13
Destinos EP 15

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 27 of 36
22 June 2015 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
A little late with this weeks update.

Still chugging along.

I signed up for my first ItalkI session next Saturday, I am really looking forward to
it. I just hope that I don't freeze up and forget everything that I learned.

I have been still watching bits and pieces of Destinos, I try and watch at least 2
episodes a week. I also watch a little of the Spanish Breaking bad, which is really
fun to watch.

Assimil is going great, the first dozen or so lessons are pretty easy. Mostly all
vocab I have learned through MT and Pimseleur. I have been mostly focusing on reading
the lessons out loud and listening to the tapes to try and compare my pronunciation,
and of course doing the exercises at the end of each lesson.

I also have found a really good radio talk radio station where people call in to talk
about topics. Living in South Florida, about half of the FM radio stations are in
Spanish. The hosts speak really clear but I think they use a lot of slang, also they
speak at about 200mph so its fun to listen in and try and pick up a few sentences.

Looking forward to another productive Spanish week.

Progress
Pimseleur 2- Tape 18
Gramatica De Uso A1-A2 Lesson 18
Destions EP 18
Assimil Lesson 15

( 18 is a common number this week)
2 persons have voted this message useful

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 28 of 36
29 June 2015 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
One more week down.

I had my first hour long lesson through ItalkI, I was really nervous at the beginning
but as I got use to the situation things began to come easier. We worked mostly on
grammar stuff I have already learned but it was difficult to have to spit out the info
out in real time. It was a lot different then working out of a workbook because I had
someone right there to tell me if I was making a mistake. All in all it was fun, I
signed up for another lesson next week.

I am really losing my interest with Destinos, I know it is good for learning but the
story line just inst doing it for me. Spanish breaking bad I think is fun to watch but
is a little over my head. I was looking through Netflicks today and started watching
Star Wars Clone Wars, the kids show, in Spanish. I am really hooked on this. The voice
acting is amazing, they even do the droid voices in Spanish, its so funny. The
episodes are little bite size chunks of only 25 mins, so this is perfect. The story
line is pretty easy to follow along. I do have to stop sometimes to look up words or
re watch some parts.

I cant remember whose log I was reading but they went to a used book store and found
some great material. So I did the same thing this weekend and I feel like I hit the
jackpot. I found a school book of some kind that teaches about the history of Florida
to young children. This book is great I can read about 90% of the texts. It has vocab
and activity sections after each unit. The little girl who had the book before me was
9 years old (she filled out her info on the cover page). I am happy I can at least
read at an Elementary level, somewhat. I really am kinda obsessed with this book
though, I cant put it down. Everything is also in Spanish which is really helpful
also.

I also wanted some opinions on something. I recently have been doing work in Miami and
I find plenty of opportunities to use Spanish but I dont know if it is insulting or
prejudice to just assume people can speak Spanish because they look Spanish ( in Miami
99% do). I just find my self missing out on good practice. I also started getting my
haircut at a Spanish barber shop. I can honestly say I was the only white guy in
there. I got to hear a lot of Spanish being spoken, but I diddnt have the balls to
tell them I was learning. Maybe next haircut.   

Progress
Pimseleur 2- Tape 23
Gramatica De Uso - Lesson 22
Destinos Ep 19 ( Thinking about switching this to Star Wars)
Assimil Lesson 20

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5171 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 29 of 36
29 June 2015 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Extr@ Spanish might be a good alternative to Destinos. I know exactly what you mean about Destinos... it is not exactly the most exciting show. I have only watched the first episode of Extr@ Spanish, but it looks much more interesting/entertaining.

In terms of speaking Spanish to people... my guess is it is probably different in Miami than where I am. Nobody has EVER been rude to me when I speak Spanish to them. I don't just assume people speak Spanish based on the way they look. I usually wait to hear some Spanish or some sort of accent that gives them away. I made the mistake of speaking in Spanish to a woman from India.

One minor point... if you want a meaningful response you need to say more than just "hola" or "buenos dias". Make sure you say something substantive.

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 30 of 36
07 July 2015 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Extr@ Spanish might be a good alternative to Destinos.

I have watched a few episodes of Extr@ on youtube and I really do prefer that to
Destinios, even though I really did enjoy the first 15 or so episodes.

Being that this last week was a holiday I really felt liked I slacked. I am also a
little late on my update.

I did however have my weekly tutor on italki. I really look forward to these every
week. Learning something new every weekend is a great confidence booster. This week we
did some great drills on the pronunciation of new words. Also for some strange reason
I really enjoy getting homework.

I have watched more of Star Wars Clone Wars, It might be a good idea to start keeping
track of how many I watch. I am already 3/4 of the way through the first season.

I feel that I have slacked the most with working out of my grammar book and my assimil
readings. I have been taking assimil a little slower because I am getting into the
Preterite and Imperfect tenses. I want to really make sure I get these two tenses down
and the different between the two. On top of assimil reading I have been reading
sections out of my Florida Studies book that I found at the book store. I notice the
use of past tense in the passages about the Indian Tribes at use to call Florida home.

Pimseleur has still has been consistent, listening on my drive to and from work is an
easy to stay on top of my listening.

Randomly started playing one of the old games I use to play back in college
(Starcraft). I put the entire game in Spanish, I found that it is a really good way to
pick up some new vocab because I know the game so well in English.

Progress
Pimseleur 2- Tape 27
Gramatica De Uso - Lesson 24
Star Wars Clone Wars (going to start counting)
Assimil Lesson 24

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3803 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 31 of 36
07 July 2015 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I am going to start following your log. I plan to start learning Spanish later this year using a similar approach
and materials that you are. I just read your log, and it's awesome to see how far you've come!

BeBetter
United States
Joined 3287 days ago

18 posts - 22 votes

Message 32 of 36
07 July 2015 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
I am going to start following your log. I plan to start learning Spanish
later this year using a similar approach
and materials that you are. I just read your log, and it's awesome to see how far you've
come!

Thank you! I am happy you are enjoying it. There are many more logs out there that can
motivate you. I have read other users logs multiple times now, for extra motivation. It
really helps. Also the advice I have I revived in my log has been a massive help. I think
the biggest thing I have learned so far is to stay flexible, there is not one course that
can take you where you want to go, I have changed up my methods so many times now. I just
like doing what I enjoy, then it doesn't feel like work.   

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version