Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What app do you want that doesn’t exist?

Tags: Software
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
Xezzyl
United States
Joined 3775 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 25
08 May 2015 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
I love language learning and I also like programming so I thought I would ask you guys
what kind of app/website/chrome extension you would want to use for language learning
that doesn't yet exist.

I want to make something that's fun and easy to use that people would find useful for
learning languages. If you could have one app that doesn't currently exist that would
help make language learning way more fun and enjoyable for you, what would that app
be?

What are some apps or websites that you use for language learning right now that you
wish were better? How would you want them to be improved?

If anyone has any good ideas and a lot of people want something to be made, I'll start
working on it and update you guys on the progress. I'll make sure the code is open
source and I'll make the app completely free.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 25
08 May 2015 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
I like something with parallel texts and audio.

If an app could put together parallel texts, that would be nice.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Xezzyl
United States
Joined 3775 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 25
08 May 2015 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

I guess there would have to be a way to get the parallel texts and audio. Maybe users can
generate the text and audio on their own somehow?

Maybe users can get native material and then type the translation and record themselves.
They can probably also have native speakers correct their translations and pronunciation
by providing a native version. Then the corrected version can be archived and future
language learners can use the correct parallel text with native audio to learn. Do you
think that would be a good idea? Or did you have something else in mind?

tangleweeds
Groupie
United States
Joined 3371 days ago

70 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: Irish, French

Message 4 of 25
08 May 2015 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
I'd like software that could take audio files, and allow you to select and loop areas
(sentences, phrases) one does when studying, do things like slow them down if necessary, and
(most important of all) allows you to record yourself speaking and compare your speech to the
selected part of recording.

I currently do this inside Anki, but that has all the overhead of audio editing just to get
the audio into Anki to start with. I can also do it in Audacity but it's pretty cumbersome.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7034 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 5 of 25
08 May 2015 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Virtual Goldlist... don't know if it would work the same though...

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4464 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 6 of 25
08 May 2015 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Maybe more/better TTS apps for ''rare'' languages.

We got TTS for Hindi and Vietnamese,
but where's TTS for Bengali?

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 7 of 25
08 May 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 

luke wrote:

There are a couple of free text aligners available. For example, LF Aligner.

If you're interested in generating monolingual audiobooks with speech synthesis, check out the free Tobi Windows app, which allows you to generate ePub3 audio books that you listen to with the free Menestrello app and many other ePub3 apps. (If you want to give Toby a try, check out this post about adding additional TTS voices to Windows 7/8.)

@Xezzyl: Tobi has a horrible UI that requires users to select each book chapter manually. However, the developers also offer a DAISY Pipeline for automatic ebook generation. Maybe you could use it to generate audiobooks.

tangleweeds wrote:
I'd like software that could take audio files, and allow you to select and loop areas
(sentences, phrases)

VLC allows you to loop audio segments on the fly. You can also slow down and speed up audio playback. (Select View > Advanced controls & View > Status Bar.)

@Xezzyl: VLC has a libVLC API that you might be able to use for playing looped audio segments.   

ElComadreja wrote:
Virtual Goldlist... don't know if it would work the same though...

Goldlists can be easily simulated with any SRS program.

Edited by Doitsujin on 08 May 2015 at 12:35pm

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 25
08 May 2015 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
tangleweeds wrote:
(sentences, phrases) one does when studying, do things like slow them down if necessary, and
(most important of all) allows you to record yourself speaking and compare your speech to the
selected part of recording.

I also think something like this would be useful. In a thread about accent reduction, there was discussion of using a "Speech analyser" program to analyse pitch/intonation, and from what I've read in phonetics books, you also get software that can represent things like vowel quality from recordings. Rhythm and stress could be analysed from the waveform and its amplitudes. Maybe all this could be combined into something that helps a learner visualise various aspects of their prosody and pronunciation and compare to recordings of native speakers.

It would probably be difficult and error-prone to create software that actually does comparisons and tells the learner what they are doing wrong and how to fix it, but maybe something that simply gives some visualisations that users could then compare and judge for themselves is realistic.

EDIT: I've looked on the Speech Analyzer website and it looks like it might well already do some or all of what I've described. If I have some time this weekend I'll play around with it a bit and see exactly what it does and doesn't do. It seems more aimed towards linguists, but the site does also specifically mention features for learners wanting to work on pronunciation.

Edited by garyb on 08 May 2015 at 1:01pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version