Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What app do you want that doesn’t exist?

Tags: Software
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 25
09 May 2015 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I was going to start a separate thread for these, but I think it's all relevant here too.

-Alternative Android app stores - I had to explore them because my Cowon mp3 player doesn't support Google Play. I tried 1Mobile first and it's been enough for me. As the article points out, it costs 25$ to have your app reviewed by Google Play, so there may well be some hidden gems out there on the alternative stores.

-Andyroid: an Android emulator for Windows/Mac. I use it mostly for Instagram, tbh, but it should be useful for any apps can't be used on a desktop computer but have an Android version. (Or the apps that have features on the Android version that the desktop one lacks)
edit: If you have a smartphone (I don't :P), you can use it as a controller for the touchscreen functions. Mouse clicks register as taps, click and drag as sliding, but some of the more advanced gestures might be difficult. On the other hand, a right-click in any place takes you back to the previous screen.

-Mindbloom Life Tree - found this one yesterday. A less nerdy alternative to Habit RPG, using the same tree metaphor as Memrise and Khatzumoto do. It doesn't have such a clear distinction between daily tasks, habits and to-do lists, but it still allows you to get virtual goods for completing mundane tasks. You even get them for browsing and adding motivational quotes, pictures etc. TBH I'd have been far less annoying about the Super Challenge if I just used this site for the important things that don't count elsewhere.

Edited by Serpent on 09 May 2015 at 9:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 18 of 25
09 May 2015 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
ATracker looks pretty good - I'm just checking out the free test version right now! The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't have a way to navigate through folders, or at least I can't find it yet, e.g., press "Russian", then press "tv". I can see that there are categories, but with studying multiple languages with several different tasks for each language, I'd end up with quite a long list which would take time to scroll through.

I found a list of recommendations for apps like ATracker on AppCrawlr which might be worth a look through...perhaps there's something more suitable with folders/nested navigation in this list?

Edited by Teango on 09 May 2015 at 11:51pm

1 person has voted this message useful

michaelyus
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4361 days ago

53 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Italian, French, Cantonese, Korean, Catalan, Vietnamese, Lingala, Spanish
Studies: Hokkien

Message 19 of 25
12 May 2015 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
A good romanization applet for Taiwanese (and other Min Nan) and for Fuzhounese ...
in fact, shouldn't there be one for all Sinograph languages? Even if it is just to
recite Tang poems (i.e. 文讀 only)?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 20 of 25
12 May 2015 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
I have been totally frustrated trying to find an Android music player that can display built-in lyrics. Assimil mp3 files have the lyrics for the track as a tag, and I can view them easily on Windows Media Player. But none of the Android music apps seem to have this feature; instead they want to download lyrics from a database. (Incidentally, I tried adding the lyrics for a few tracks to Musixmatch, but they haven't approved my submissions.)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 21 of 25
13 May 2015 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Assimil mp3 files have the lyrics for the track as a tag

What???? I never knew this. Yeah, it would be real nice if these showed up when I play
the recordings through iTunes. I would definitely get an app that displayed embedded
lyrics.

I've looked at the various tracking apps people have mentioned. A lot look interesting,
but I'd still go for something simpler.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 22 of 25
13 May 2015 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Assimil mp3 files have the lyrics for the track as a tag

What???? I never knew this. Yeah, it would be real nice if these showed up when I play the recordings through iTunes. I would definitely get an app that displayed embedded lyrics.

I'm referring to the mp3's sold by Assimil, in their sets that come with an mp3 CD. Even better, they also have a separate folder for each lesson which has a separate track for each individual sentence. So it would be easy to review difficult sentences flashcard style, if only you could see the lyrics.

It is easy with Windows Media Player. Sadly, no android developer thinks it's worthwhile. From what I understand, it's easy to view lyrics with Apple products (iPods, etc). I don't know if iTunes has a setting for this. How do you listen to your Assimil with iTunes? Have you uploaded your files?

I should have mentioned, I did find one Android app that is supposed to be able to do this, but I couldn't find the setting and it looked like the app was no longer supported as the developer's forums were closed down as of several months ago.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 25
13 May 2015 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
But none of the Android music apps seem to have this feature; instead they want to download lyrics from a database.

Kinda obvious and not always practical but have you tried playing the tracks with the wifi off? When there's no internet access, maybe it'll notice the built-in lyrics?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 24 of 25
13 May 2015 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
How do you listen to your Assimil with iTunes? Have you uploaded your files?

Apple products make you use iTunes to move music around. I've always just moved the
Assimil files to the phone / ipod without thinking much about it. The upload by lesson.
Now I want to go find the original disc and play around with it.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version