Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 17 of 23
22 June 2015 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Corrections:

soclydeza85 wrote:
1) Als ich gestern zur Uni gefahren war, hat mich mein Freund angerufen.

2) Ich lebte damals in der Schweiz, aber ich kann mich nicht mehr erinnern, wo ich meine damalige Freundin kennengelernt habe. (Pluperfect doesn't make any sense here.)

3) Ich habe gerade gefrühstückt, aber ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob ich echte oder künstliche Eier gegessen habe. (What in God's name are "artificial eggs"?)

4) Wenn er gestern mein Auto hat reparieren lassen, dann kann ich heute nach Frankreich fahren.

5) Die Kinder waren zur Schule gegangen, während ich meinen Wagen hatte abstürzen lassen. (This sentence only makes sense, if it's followed by another sentence with some information about what happened next. Also, as "während" indicates simultanity, it's not possible to use two different tenses here.)

Edited by Josquin on 22 June 2015 at 12:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 18 of 23
22 June 2015 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Josquin

2) I would still use the simple past even if I was saying this to someone (i.e., non-
literary)?

3) I actually said this kind of tongue-in-cheek, I kind of expected they would exist
these days, but I was curious and found that they do indeed exist
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/06/how-to-make-a-rotten-egg /

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2416808/Artif icial-egg-PLANTS-backed-
Bill-Gates-set-revolutionize-cooking-goes-sale-Whole-Foods.h tml

4) If I'm using "wenn", wouldn't the conjugated verb (hat) go at the end of the
clause?

Thanks for the corrections!

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 19 of 23
22 June 2015 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
2) This is one of the instances where Präteritum and Perfekt are basically interchangeable. However, this sounds like a part of a narration to me, so I chose Präteritum. It's more of a gut feeling though, so I can't give a real reason for that.

3) Okay, I'll stick to natural eggs though. ;)

4) This is the dreaded combination of a modal verb with the Perfekt, which has its own rules and even confuses native speakers. Here, the verb and the modal verb are in the infinitive instead of the past participle ("Ersatzinfinitiv") and the word order is haben + verb + modal verb, regardless of main or subordinate clause. There are exceptions to this rule, but I don't want to go into the details right now.

Edited by Josquin on 22 June 2015 at 4:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 20 of 23
28 June 2015 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks again!

sich aufregen, aufgeregt, usw.

I've always know this to mean "to excite" or "excited", which is what dictionaries say as well. In English, when we are "excited" about something, it's usually a good thing: we are excited about a new car we bought, we're excited to go on vacation, etc. It can be used in a negative way (to get worked up about something) but I don't usually hear it used this way. But I usually only notice it in more of a negative context in German, where excited = upset, flustered.

Should aufregen only be used to express a negative emotion, or can it be used in a positive way as well?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 21 of 23
28 June 2015 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
There are three different expressions in German which shouldn't be confused:

jdn. aufregen = to upset/annoy s.o.
sich aufregen = to get worked up

These are rather negative. However:

aufgeregt sein = to be excited or to be agitated

This can mean positive excitement, but it can also be used in a negative way. I can see that these expressions are easy to confuse from a learner's perspective, but to a native speaker they are pretty distinct from each other.

Examples:

Du regst mich auf! (negative)
Weil er eine Rechnung bekommen hat, hat er sich tierisch aufgeregt. (negative)
An Weihnachten sind die Kinder immer ganz aufgeregt. (positive)
Morgen ist mein Geburtstag. Ich bin schon ganz aufgeregt! (positive)
Er war ganz aufgeregt und hat um Hilfe geschrien. (negative)

So, "aufgeregt sein" is mental excitement in either a positive or negative way. However, "to be excited" about your new car, job, girlfriend, or whatever would be "begeistert sein", so the meanings of "excited" and "aufgeregt" don't really overlap.

EDIT: I totally forgot there's a fourth expression, which probably causes most of the confusion: "aufregend sein". If something's "aufregend", it's exciting in a positive way, so it's totally different from "jdn. aufregen". I've never thought about all those different connotations of these very closely related words...

Example:

Ich fliege nächste Woche nach Japan. Ist das nicht aufregend? (positive)

Edited by Josquin on 28 June 2015 at 9:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3702 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 22 of 23
02 July 2015 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Thanks Josquin, that makes complete sense. Luckily I've used it the right way whenever I've used it.

What are the main differences between stoppen, aufhalten and aufhören? I always get confused by these. Might as well throw anhalten in there too.

EDIT: I also want to ask: many verbs sometimes take the be- prefix. Am I right that this implies that there is a receiver that was mentioned in the sentence (when the be- is used?)

zum Beispiel:
"Ich möchte zahlen", but "Ich möchte die Rechnung bezahlen"

"Ich fürchte", but "Ich befürchte die Antwort"

"Ich will nicht drohen", but "Ich will dich nicht bedrohen"

Edited by soclydeza85 on 02 July 2015 at 3:23am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 23 of 23
02 July 2015 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm not native German, but here's my take on these verbs.

Anhalten - describes a temporary stopping situation while on the move. Stopping for petrol, for example.

Aufhoeren - To stop doing a verb action right now. Telling a child to stop doing something.

Aufhalten - To hold somebody back or up, to let another event pass.

Stoppen - To put the kaibosh on an event. Stop it from taking place. Stop in tracks etc.

We could also throw in aufgeben, which of course means to give up, but (as in English) could also be translated as stop, for example to stop smoking. This would imply permanence, whereas using aufhoeren would suggest that someone stopped smoking for now, perhaps in a place where it is not permitted.

Edited by beano on 02 July 2015 at 3:45pm

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version