Pro Member
Italy
Joined 4239 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 7
07 June 2015 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
I was wondering if you knew websites, software, ect... about two possible games that I
think will enhance listening and vocabulary a lot.
Basically these are the ideas I had.
Crossword.
I think it will be great to have a kind of game where you have the definition and you
need to find the word for that definition, so it's like using the dictionary in the
reverse way. In this way you can train yourself in not thinking anymore in your native
language when you want to use that particular word.
Lyricstraining on movie subtitles.
I don't know if you know lyricstraining.com
It's a website where you listen to a song and you need to type the lyrics. The idea is
great but I think it's not very effective on song. Think about using the same
technology on movies. You watch the movie and while you watch you have 75% blank space
on the selected website and you need to fill in by listening and comprehending what
they say. Firstly it's great because you are watching what you like, secondly you are
really improve your skills.
Do you know any resource or something similar at what I have just suggested??

1 person has voted this message useful

menez93
Pro Member
Italy
Joined 4239 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
07 June 2015 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
probably the second idea ca be done with a software.
You just need the movie file and the subtitles. I am not a programmer so I don't know how
to do it. But I have got an idea and it would be pretty simple. I really hope there is
something like this.
And for crossword I have tried to google everywhere but it's literally impossible to find
something. And I think it's really useful. I mean, think about it. You just need to use
the dictionary in the other way. It's bloody effective!! How is that possible that no one
has already thought about something like this?!?!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 7
07 June 2015 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
There is an ipad game PixWords, which is a crosswords with pictures as hints.
The only problem is that the pictures are often unclear even when I'm playing in my native language. But the game seems to be very popular.

I found several such apps in a minute. In French and in English but there must be more. However, the problem is they don't use normal vocabulary but the crosswords vocabulary. So, I might be all for having wide vocabulary but I still cannot see the examples on screenshots, like heliciculture, to be of much use to me.

Some gamified learning tools you might like:
Duolingo
Memrise
lingvist.io (so far only French learning but they will have more soon)

I can recommend using normal computer games with tons of dialogue and interaction, especially adventures and rpgs. I am playing Broken Sword in German and it is an awesome way to practice the language and learn more vocabulary.

For some languages, you can go even further and play text based multiplayers. If you are interested in English games like that, I learnt vast majority of my English while playing wotmud.org

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 7
07 June 2015 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
There's this site for pasting any custom text and turning it into an exercise. I was excited when I found it but tbh I've used it very little so far. Still, I've rambled a bit here about the uses I can see for it.

As for ordinary games, I highly recommend Criminal Case :)

Edited by Serpent on 07 June 2015 at 7:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

menez93
Pro Member
Italy
Joined 4239 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
07 June 2015 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
thank you very much for both the answers but what about the lyricstraining system on
movies and tv series? I am more interested on that. Imagine watching Game of Thrones with
this idea...Amazing!!!

I'm gonna check out some text based games and Criminal Case.

But my priority is the lyricstraining thing on movies.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 7
07 June 2015 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
it can only be done manually i'm afraid. i don't think it's good to do that with more than a fragment anyway.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4023 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 7 of 7
08 June 2015 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
Good idea about working with movies or series that way. The problem is, however, copyright stuff and all that jazz. You have a plenty of songs on youtube, movies... not so much.
One can take free sources though, for example, TED talks, and work with them.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version