Diglot
United States
Joined 3730 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 12
12 June 2015 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
New week I will be finishing Assimil Le Polonais. It was very difficult since I used the
French version and I have to translate to English every one of the 100 lessons. I followed
my own method: read, listen and repeat many, many times. Pretty much 1 to 1.5 hour/day.
How far I got? I can hold simple conversations! Probably it is at an untested A2 level.   
I plan to review a lesson a day as needed to absorb the final lessons. At this time, I am
thinking about using Schenker's book. Have anyone use this book? There are not
instructions for self-study.

A way to use it might be for each lesson of vol 1. to:
1.     Review the vocabulary. I already know passively ~4000 words.
2.     Repeat 8 times the lesson sentences. It would be 4 hours of listening and repeating
the 30 min tapes. Skip vol 2 drills.
3.     Review the grammar notes-I know the grammar rudiments.

I wonder if this approach will increase my speaking and comprehension skills. Currently I
concentrate in listening 2 to 3 hours a day (I only listen to texts that either I know or
almost know) and on building passive vocabulary by reading.
I target B1-B2 level my next May which is ~12 months from now.

Everyone said that Polish would be hard. I think that it is even harder. I feel that I am
just starting a long journey. The crazy thing is that am so used to study every day Polish
that it is a real pleasure. I am having a good time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Lusan on 21 June 2015 at 9:11pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
zamishka.blogspot.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4027 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ukrainian*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 2 of 12
15 June 2015 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Have you considered Glossika's mass sentences?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3840 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 3 of 12
15 June 2015 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Hello Lusan,

Life After Assimil Le Polonais

Congratulations on completing Assimil Le Polonais! Really, your approach demanded commendable perservence. By the way, I fully endorse your approach to studying dialogues.

Now then, as you are probably already aware, the Assimil Sans Peine series will take a student to a level approaching CEFR B1. While there are many differences in approach and style between Beginning Polish by Alexander Schenker and Assimil Le Polonais, ultimately, the material covered and the level achieved are similar. So, I find myself wondering why you would want to devote so much to studying Beginning Polish. You will, indeed, benefit from a certain amount of reinforcement of what you have just learned, but you're not likely to increase your knowledge in any substantial way.

While I had initially thought of suggesting that you try the Glossika Mass Sentences, these materials are really variants of the Beginning Polish, Volume 2 Drills or perhaps the Assimil Le Polonais Individual Sentences, sequenced in a way that removes the context of a dialogue or a specific pattern drill. About the only difference in content would be that the Glossika sentences might be just a tad more colloquial and there would be a stronger emphasis on the use of the Second Person Singular. Don't get me wrong here, the Schenker and Glossika materials are quite good, but you've already "been there, done that".

So, I suggest that concentrate on Intermediate Level materials and hopefully, other Forum Members will make specific suggestions. In fact, if you are open to this, you might wish to consider changing the title of your post to something more evocative like "Life After Assimil Le Polonais?" Just a thought!

Edited by Speakeasy on 15 June 2015 at 11:42pm

Lusan
Diglot
United States
Joined 3730 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 

Message 4 of 12
16 June 2015 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Speakeasy wrote:
I suggest ...concentrate on Intermediate Level materials

These materials are not so easy to find. It seems there is a large gap between beginning
materials and interesting intermediate one. Assimil just gives a base from which to move
on.

Besides, I am aware that I am behind in listening and speaking speed. That is the reason I
want to take a beginning course and repeat the heck of. I know that this practice will not
increase my vocabulary and knowledge base. Definitively reading and listening become more
important now.

Speakeasy wrote:
In fact, if you are open to this, you might wish to consider changing the
title of your post to something more evocative like "Life After Assimil Le Polonais?" Just
a thought!

What is that life? How does it look like. It seems that it is just reading, listening and
speaking, right?

I agree with the title change but I do not know how to do it.

Lemberg1963 wrote:
Have you considered Glossika's mass sentences?

I was not aware of them until last week. I'll look further. Their similarity to Schenken
vol 2. is not very appealing, since vol 2 is too easy and boring. I already repeated every
one of Assimil sentences 20 or 30 times. After lesson 50, they do not seem very practical
at all. I need some other material to sustain the interest.

Thanks for your comments. I will consider them.

Edited by Lusan on 16 June 2015 at 2:47am

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4027 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 

Message 5 of 12
16 June 2015 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Lusan wrote:
I was not aware of them until last week. I'll look further. Their similarity to
Schenken vol 2. is not very appealing, since vol 2 is too easy and boring. I already repeated
every one of Assimil sentences 20 or 30 times. After lesson 50, they do not seem very
practical at all. I need some other material to sustain the interest.

That's fair, I use Glossika at the same time as Assimil, so the vocab tends to reinforce
itself. Honestly, after completing Assimil I would suggest to focus more on native content. I
doubt any language book will be sufficiently novel or difficult to keep your engagement at
this point.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3840 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 6 of 12
16 June 2015 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Hello Lusan,

Polish Profile (Chung)
In the spirit of assisting you in your search for materials and guidance in your study of Polish, I am providing you the LINK to the Polish Profile that CHUNG prepared. If you haven't already accessed it, you will note that Chung provided a list of materials and links to other discussions.

Glossika Mass Sentences
In my opinion, Glossika does not provide a very good description of their materials and thereby are doing themselves something of a disservice and probably missing some sales opportunities. So, based on my experience with their German Mass Sentence materials, here's what you can expect:
A. Text Files
Three PDF files, one for each Level, containing a total of 3,000 Mass Sentences expressed in the Target Language, along with a translation in the Learner's Language, and an IPA pronunciation guide for each individual sentence. I would imagine that Glossika refers to them as "Mass" because the sentences are, for all pratical purposes, unrelated to one another. The is no other support included such as notes on grammar, explanations of colloquial usage, etcetera.
B. GMS Audio Files
The 3,000 Mass Sentences are separated into 60 groups, each containg 50 sentences. The 50 sentences within a group are presented sequentially in three familiarization phases as follows:
1 English_pause_Polish_pause_Polish_pause, for a duration of about 12 minutes
2 English_pause_Polish, for a duration of about 7 minutes
3 Polish_pause, for a duration of about 4 minutes
C. GSR Sentences
The Mass Sentences are sequenced randomly, for a duration of range from about 12 minutes to 30 minutes. The individual GSR groups are titled, oddly, "Day 1, Day 2, ... Day 104" and they contain the Mass Sentences of the accumulating GMS sentences, adding and removing materials as they "roll forward", thereby providing significant repetition of the Mass Sentences.
D. Hours of Audio Recordings
I have not performed an exhaustive analysis of the number of hours of the Glossika German Mass Sentences. However, a quick count suggests that there are about 2 hours of sentences, exclusive of pauses. The total audio files exceed 40 hours of multiple répétitions of the sentences, which includes the English language prompts and the pauses.
E. Levels
The 3,000 Mass Sentences are grouped into three levels as Fluency 1, Fluency 2, Fluency 3. The range is from A1 through to about B1.
F. My Overall Appraisal
I view the Glossika materials as representing a sincere effort to provide the student with supplementary practice materials. Are they "more" effective than, say, the FSI Basic courses or the Assimil dialogues, when the latter are pushed to the limit? In my opinion, no, they are NOT "more" effective; however, they DO represent very interesting supplementary materials for someone who needs a change of pace. Also, since it is a little difficult to anticipate the order in which the sentences are presented in the GSR files, this helps keep one mentally alert.

Linguaphone Polish (circa 1979)
As far as I can tell, Linguaphone ceased publication of their Polish course some years ago. It was composed of a 151-page course book, a 121-page exercise book, and approximately 3.5 hours of audio recordings. Typical for Linguaphone, the course notes take on the rambling, somewhat confusing, narrative style of the Assimil notes. I suspect that the materials would lead one to about the same level of Assimil Le Polonais. Nonetheless, they might be useful as reinforcement. If you were to send me a Private Message, we could discuss this alternative further. To send a Private Message, you will need to loggin and use the "Mail" function at the top of the page.

Intermediate Polish (Oscar E. Swan)
This textbook has received many positive reviews. Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate the audio recordings that were prepared to accompany the text.

Native Materials
I agree with Limberg1963's recommendation, although I recognize that the challenge is substantial. I suggest that you refer to the Polish Profile (near the bottom of Chung's list) for starters.

Tutors
The best tutors will guide you towards greater fluency. Finding one with whom you are truly comfortable can take time, but the search is worth the effort. Here are a couple of websites: First Tutors and Italki. There are many others available.

Editing Your Posts
You can EDIT the contents of your posts by logging on and clicking on the EDIT button at the bottom of the individual post. This might give you the opportunity to revise the title of your original discussion thread, should you be so inclined.

Edited by Speakeasy on 21 June 2015 at 1:39am

Lusan
Diglot
United States
Joined 3730 days ago

35 posts - 53 votes 

Message 7 of 12
21 June 2015 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
It seems that I need to balance the little polish I have learned so far. After thinking
about your comments, my next steps look like:

Listening: Use Assimil dialogues as comprehension inputs. After all, I can read those
dialogues very well. My objective is 100 % understanding without reading the texts. The
routine: listen a lesson. If 100 % understood, go to the next one. If not understood, enter
a read-listen cycle. Besides, I have the goal of 2+ hours of listening every day.

Speaking: 2 hours/week with a italki native Polish teacher. We are using Krok-po-Kroku to
focus the engagements. We talk around the exercises and dialogues. I want to use the book
as a grammar review. Also I will use Beginner Polish dialogues, Schenker, as a repetition
tool. I like its sentences because they are short and useful. The routine: Listen and
repeat for 30 min a day. I will do a new lesson every 4 days.

Reading: Read about 1000 day in lingq with the objective of increasing passive vocabulary.

Writing: Writing 6 to 10 simple sentences and get lang-8 corrections which will be
incorporated into Anki.

Use Anki everyday as a general practice. Most cards are either cloze or Polish-English.
This is a lot of work, but after finishing this plan, I feel that I will be ready to start
with native materials. Next May I will in Poland and I hope that by that time I will be
grounded in B1 or B2.

Why not native material right away? Because I think that I have serious shortcoming in both
listening and grammar. I prefer to take care of them now. By the way, studying Polish is my
main hobby currently, I enjoy a systematic approach so...

Thanks for your suggestions.

1 person has voted this message useful

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4027 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 

Message 8 of 12
25 June 2015 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Active translation from English to polish would fix your grammar gaps. Do massive amounts of
L1 to L2 anki cards.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version