Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6471 days ago

33 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*, Armenian*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 23
07 October 2006 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Why is french comprehension so difficult when compared to other languages? I've been studying french for about 5 months now, and I feel I'm making great progress; but comprehension is very difficult.

What's the best way to work on this?
1 person has voted this message useful

Coovertown
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6517 days ago

57 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Korean, English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 23
07 October 2006 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
I'd say it's because of various factors.

For one thing, it's not a phoenetic language. Secondly, pronunciation is different from that of English. The last reason I can think of is because speakers of another language will forever find something different and new in the language of study, thus making the language "hard" to understand.

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6472 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 3 of 23
07 October 2006 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't necessarily call it difficult to understand - at least not any more than the average Romance or Germanic language. It's all about practice, and exposure. How much time do you spend listening to French every day? I'm talking Spoken live French, as in what you hear on the radio, or in person. If you're fully immersed in the language, it might still take a while, but you've just got to keep at it. As always, figure out if it's an issue of structure, vocabulary, or accent, and focus on the skill you need to improve the most.

linguanima
Bilingual Tetraglot
Australia
Joined 6506 days ago

114 posts - 123 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Spanish, French
Studies: Italian, Latin, German

Message 4 of 23
08 October 2006 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Spoken French IS really difficult to understand, I agree. I think it's because there are too many mute letters. Also, the nasal sounds and throaty r's make the discourse blurred - especially when they talk fast - and they always talk fast. French is very difficult to pronounce as well. You have to strain your facial muscles and keep making impossible changes from one sound to another that is in a completely different phonetic domain. Try pronouncing 'chirurgien' at the normal speed...

aaapple
Diglot
United States
Joined 6239 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 5 of 23
30 March 2007 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
French is not difficult. Exposure is probably the key. Go to Paris, avoid
your native language altogether, take some of the courses offered by the
Alliance francais.

Some people think it's cool to low, street French. The French are not
impressed; aim a little higher.

Barring that, the FSI French course is great, and though somewhat
antiquated, will take you a long way. The FSI also produced a French
phonology course that covers all of the sound system very well (Parisian
French). The "bad" of these courses is that they will no doubt be really
tedious. Brrrrrr... I wouldn't want to do them. I met a man from Hong
Kong once who completed them - all the way. His French was faultless.

Bonne chance!

aaapple
Diglot
United States
Joined 6239 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 6 of 23
30 March 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
I meant Alliance francaise. I have no French font on my machine.

Evanstar
Triglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Catalan, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Swedish, Finnish, Latin, Swahili, Italian

Message 7 of 23
30 March 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
I don't think it's hard, but I think most people when learning vocabulary try to correlate the sound with the orthography. I think French is waaay overrated for difficulty...I think listening comprehension isn't hard, but you can't expect to passively learn it either.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6370 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 23
31 March 2007 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I can only speak for myself, but I found French comprehension to be extremely difficult. Mandarin is a breeze in comparison (though already knowing three instead of four languages might account for a bit of the difference). It probably has to do with:

1) the sheer speed of it. French people talk like machine guns. I once formed a theory that it's because they use so many sounds to say things, that they need to speak a lot faster to get to a normal "meaning per second" ratio. This would account for Mandarin being easier (as it's very condensed. Every syllable carries a lot of meaning and a lot is understood from context rather than spoken aloud), despite the tones.

2) the skipping of sounds. I heard some French spoken at the bus a week ago. A guy said to his wife: "C'est pas le bon. C'est le suivant." Problem is, this isn't really how he said it. It sounded like: "Spalbon. Sel suivant." I would never have caught this six months ago. To improve my comprehension, I took to watching tons of movies. Hours a day. It's a pretty painless way of studying, except it's annoying in the beginning when you can't understand a thing. I started with cartoons, then went on to dubbed movies, and finally watched a lot of native films.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version