Canada
Joined 6487 days ago

321 posts - 327 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Italian

Message 9 of 23
31 March 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
reason 2) accounts for all its difficulty in my opinion.

You can even get things pronounced backward: regarder=ergarder

Il is pronounced i and elle=a here...

Elle n'est pas encore arrivée=È pas encore arrivée.

Try Quebec French first and if you get it you're on your way to be the greatest listener of the world! French French will be SO EASY in comparison.
1 person has voted this message useful

aaapple
Diglot
United States
Joined 6249 days ago

23 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 10 of 23
07 April 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
"Spalbon. Sel suivant."

Ari, Your phonetic rendition is pretty good. Hmmmm. Still, I don't think
French is hard to understand.

Any language that is new to the listener sounds fast. I believe I read
somewhere that Spanish is faster than French.

jtaylor247
Diglot
United States
Joined 6012 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 11 of 23
20 November 2007 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Someone said they used cartoons. Which ones?

I am just starting to be able to understand french while listening to it at full speed. An exhilerating experiencing after starting at the news with my mouth a jar for months. I'd love to have more material to get up to speed though.

Merci.

Edited by jtaylor247 on 20 November 2007 at 6:41pm

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6489 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 12 of 23
21 November 2007 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
jtaylor247 wrote:
I'd love to have more material to get up to speed though.

You could try listening to French TV and radio a lot. Is it true that they use a different register of Metropolitan French in movies, instead of a high register like the one used in French television and radio?

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6070 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 23
22 November 2007 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
I watched the 1987 film Au Revoir Les Enfants with the accompanying script in French. Comparing the film soundtrack with the script, I was struck by the same skipping and slurring of sounds in colloquial French that has been alluded to by others on this thread.

I think, with time, and exposure, you get used to it and can decipher it. It may be a particular feature of Parisian French. Belgian French has a slightly slower tempo.

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6489 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 14 of 23
22 November 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
I watched the 1987 film Au Revoir Les Enfants with the accompanying script in French. Comparing the film soundtrack with the script, I was struck by the same skipping and slurring of sounds in colloquial French that has been alluded to by others on this thread.

Thats good to know. I thought it was weird that French movies were harder to understand than TV and radio. I just assumed it was a lower register.

fsc
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

100 posts - 117 votes 
Studies: French

Message 15 of 23
23 November 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
HyeLez�n wrote:
Why is french comprehension so difficult when compared to other languages? I've been studying french for about 5 months now, and I feel I'm making great progress; but comprehension is very difficult.

What's the best way to work on this?

I have been doing Pimsleur for 4 months and I wish I could say I was making great progress. I supplement my Pimsleur with 45 minutes or more a day of French podcasts. After the first 4 hours (8 lessons) of Pimsleur, I was excited that I could pick out some words from these podcasts. Now, 4 months later I am on lesson 4 of French 3 and can say I haven't increased my comprehension of these podcasts much at all. I realize Pimsleur only teaches about 500 words and unfortunately it teaches some that I can't ever see using, at least not this early in my learning. For example, Branch Manager, old harbor, professor, several names of countries or universities, etc. How about teaching me how to order a salad or a soda? Maybe that's in later lessons but I need to know that 1000 times more than I need to know "branch manager". Pimsleur says they teach functional words but as you can see, they also teach ones that aren't.

fsc
United States
Joined 6127 days ago

100 posts - 117 votes 
Studies: French

Message 16 of 23
23 November 2007 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
justinwilliams wrote:

Try Quebec French first and if you get it you're on your way to be the greatest listener of the world! French French will be SO EASY in comparison.

This is interesting and gives me some hope since most of the Podcasts I listen to are from Quebec. I actually thought I was understanding more than the news podcasts from Radio France International. It just seemed the people in the Quebec podcasts were speaking more slowly and casually as they are pausing to think about things before speaking. The French news podcasts, are read very fast, despite the program having the French word for "easy" in the title.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version