Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
26 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
kyukumber
Japan
Joined 3533 days ago

11 posts - 30 votes

Message 17 of 26
25 July 2015 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I should've mentioned this earlier but those CD1/CD2 zip files are INCLUDED in the "insert your language".zip files. I included them just for the sake of being thorough. I apologise for any incovenience caused by my incompetence and lack of foresight. I have taken the time to edit them out and fix some errors, then reuploaded it here:
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/OEExRbmg/file.html

If you want the option of seperate download for each CD, here it is:
http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/KT0WpuWn/file.html

Had I not enjoyed making lists, It all Could've been avoided, but darn it, I like it and you can't deny.

Edited by kyukumber on 25 July 2015 at 6:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 26
05 August 2015 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the info.

One question. Are the foolow up Colloquial 2 courses worth it? What level do the lead to, at least approximately?
1 person has voted this message useful

neumanc
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4811 days ago

11 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 19 of 26
06 August 2015 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
Just for your information, even though Croatian is not (yet?) listed on the website, you can
download the audio for Colloquial Croatian if you access the language via the world map. I
did so today and the download worked just fine.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 26
06 August 2015 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
Hi Cavesa,

I have the “follow-up” Routledge Colloquial Level 2 courses for German, Italian, and Spanish. They provide more advanced dialogues. They also provide a somewhat greater grammatical discussion of the materials. For the courses that I purchased, I would say that they cover – very roughly – materials up to about the B1 level. I find that they are somewhat hampered by the fact that they include only 2 CDs of audio recordings. However, they often include free access to “companion websites” for non-audio exercise materials.

Answering your question “are they worth it?” is not easy. I really enjoyed the Routledge Colloquial Level 2 courses that I purchased and I would recommend them “in isolation”. However, when I purchased them, I was fully aware that alternate materials existed for German, Italian, and Spanish such Assimil, Linguaphone, and FSI, all of which provide more dialogues, more audio, and all of which will take the student to the B2+ levels. Because I enjoyed them, and because I wish Routledge goodwill in their chosen business, it pains me to say the Routledge Colloquial Level 2 courses are “good in isolation from the known alternatives” but that, given the existence of known alternatives, they are “not quite worth it” and that one would be better off using the alternative course materials. Gawd, it hurts to say that!

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 21 of 26
06 August 2015 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4965 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 22 of 26
07 August 2015 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
I've used Colloquial Russian 2 and Colloquial Mandarin 2. I skipped Colloquial French 2 and Colloquial German 2 because I don't think they offered anything I couldn't get from more text-intensive resources or native materials. The two I used excel in presenting current topics on business, news, transportation etc. I even found the Russian one still harder and it was a bit troublesome to use because I didn't have a properly OCR'ed version and there are no translations for the texts. The Mandarin one is among the best textbooks I've used (nicer than the Russian one even though one is always supposed to find an IE language easier, go figure).
4 persons have voted this message useful

jpazzz
Groupie
United States
Joined 4844 days ago

54 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 26
20 August 2015 at 9:41am | IP Logged 
Hello Expurgnator,

I don't know the meaning of "OCR'ed". Could you please explain?

Thanks,

John

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 24 of 26
20 August 2015 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
OCR - optical character regognition. For instance, some pdf books are OCR-scanned, which means that text is treated as text. Usually it's possible to search, highlight, copy etc. A good OCR scan is just as reliable as a real ebook. Writing systems are shown as intended.

Non-OCR scans take up a lot of space, since the pages are images.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 20 August 2015 at 6:37pm

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version